Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
3 broken A-arms in less than a week Mugen MBXTE >

3 broken A-arms in less than a week Mugen MBXTE

3 broken A-arms in less than a week Mugen MBXTE

Old 06-16-2015, 08:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Exclamation 3 broken A-arms in less than a week Mugen MBXTE

I've searched and read all about this and i know this is common for Mugen. All of the breaks were the front left lower a-arms. My problem with this is you spend 20 bucks for a pair, but at our track lefts are the only ones that break. Another guy running the same truggy at our track and had 10 pairs of right front a-arms that were left over from breaking the lefts. maybe I'm crazy, but if mugen is not going to fix the issue the least they could do is sell a discounted package of 10 left a-arms.

I like the MBXTE but frantically changing arms in between running other classes has me frazzled by the time I get on the stand. I also run a losi eight 3.0 ebuggy that took the same track and worse landings/crashes without issue.

I read that some people have used sworkz arms on the mugen. Can anyone confirm these fit or others that do so that I can try them? muchas gracias! ulch
Old 06-16-2015, 08:54 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Stop crashing?
Old 06-16-2015, 11:08 PM
Tech Adept

Yes!!!

I agree, but I also am realistic.

Just trying to engineer out the human error. cant blame me for tryin
Old 06-16-2015, 11:28 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I sold Mugen after I had 6 arms break in 6 heats/finals at an event interstate. Not all of them were crashes, some awkward landings, a couple literally brushing the pipe. Exact same breaks every time (through the shock cutout) I mean so exact I could have bet my house on the position of the breaks.

I put it down to heat (near 40c/104f)
bad batch of arms
bad driving (sponsoreds were breaking them too)
mugen in general/sold.

when i got home boiled some arms and returned to cooler temps/no breaks/CBF'd/sold

so I guess the best suggestion I got is to boil arms or run other brand arms
Old 06-17-2015, 12:01 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I have broken my fair share of the arms as well .. However I seem to break both not just one side at a time. It tends to happen usually when I land on one wheel more than another. However I must say that so far has been the only problem I've had with my MBX6e so I can forgive it for the fact I do enjoy driving it.
Old 06-17-2015, 12:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Ulch
I've searched and read all about this and i know this is common for Mugen. All of the breaks were the front left lower a-arms. My problem with this is you spend 20 bucks for a pair, but at our track lefts are the only ones that break. Another guy running the same truggy at our track and had 10 pairs of right front a-arms that were left over from breaking the lefts. maybe I'm crazy, but if mugen is not going to fix the issue the least they could do is sell a discounted package of 10 left a-arms.

I like the MBXTE but frantically changing arms in between running other classes has me frazzled by the time I get on the stand. I also run a losi eight 3.0 ebuggy that took the same track and worse landings/crashes without issue.

I read that some people have used sworkz arms on the mugen. Can anyone confirm these fit or others that do so that I can try them? muchas gracias! ulch
The weak arms is a known issue with mugen, going all the way back to the original 6T. People who tell you they never broke an arm are full of it. Yes, not crashing helps, but I've driven other trucks. although they break other parts, the front arms don't break like a mugens. Every manufacturer has a weak spot, and we all know what the mugens is. Mugen drivers and fanboi's will tell you it's a driver issue not the truck.

You might as well try the Sworks or even the Arrma/Durango arms, what else do you have to lose other than some more Mugen Arms......
Old 06-17-2015, 12:55 AM
Tech Prophet

You need to boil them lower front arms it's a certain way also to get a little flex .

Generally also that's a weak spot on pivot ball suspensions .

I broke 2 lower front arms on my old MBX6 Eco soon as I boiled them never again even with bad landings tapping pipes .
Old 06-17-2015, 02:07 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CarlCrocco
The weak arms is a known issue with mugen, going all the way back to the original 6T. People who tell you they never broke an arm are full of it. Yes, not crashing helps, but I've driven other trucks. although they break other parts, the front arms don't break like a mugens. Every manufacturer has a weak spot, and we all know what the mugens is. Mugen drivers and fanboi's will tell you it's a driver issue not the truck.

You might as well try the Sworks or even the Arrma/Durango arms, what else do you have to lose other than some more Mugen Arms......
actually arrma drivers swap their arms to mugen ones !!!

i bash a hobao hyperstar E by now and broke many arms until are added a small U shaped steel part. I avoids the arm to break at its weak point ( at the hinge pin )
As I bash hard, I 'm very happy with the result . notice the shaped I made better on the right steel "bandage"

no arms broken since then
I did the same on my xray xt8 and will probably on my mugen mbx7 that i just ordered

Old 06-17-2015, 02:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (100%+)

Originally Posted by werner sline
actually arrma drivers swap their arms to mugen ones !!!

i bash a hobao hyperstar E by now and broke many arms until are added a small U shaped steel part. I avoids the arm to break at its weak point ( at the hinge pin )
As I bash hard, I 'm very happy with the result . notice the shaped I made better on the right steel "bandage"

no arms broken since then
I did the same on my xray xt8 and will probably on my mugen mbx7 that i just ordered

Nice looking ride!!!

I've never seen any Arrma team drivers, and the Xt8 doesn't use pillowballs, unless your driving a tixx conversion.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:46 PM
Tech Fanatic

I was at a weekend race a bit ago where there was a monster double (like heights of 10 plus ft) and a lot of us were landing on the flat. I'm sure there was atleast 1 Mugen and I didn't see one a-arm break. Check around, maybe there is an upgrade
Old 06-17-2015, 04:17 PM
Tech Champion

Try boiling water, and drop them in with the burner off.

I dropped Mugen and went back to Xray, but it really wasn't just because of arms breaking.
Old 06-18-2015, 02:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Zerodefect
Try boiling water, and drop them in with the burner off.

I dropped Mugen and went back to Xray, but it really wasn't just because of arms breaking.
why did you go to xray ? they look quiet the same after all
Old 06-18-2015, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by CarlCrocco
Nice looking ride!!!

I've never seen any Arrma team drivers, and the Xt8 doesn't use pillowballs, unless your driving a tixx conversion.
it's not about pivotballs, it's about adding a metallic piece to any kind of plastic arm so that it can't be ripped off near the hingepin

Why not full metal then ? the arm can still be pushed backwards on hard hits. so with plastic + metal, you got the best of both world
Old 06-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Tech Adept

Thank you for comments and recs. I'm going to put some water in the pot and boil these arms and get some sworkz.