R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-22-2005, 11:34 AM   #1
CDG
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to CDG Send a message via Yahoo to CDG
Default RC10GT Gear clearance catchs stones???

I have a few RC10GTs and the drive gear is constantly jamming up with stones and track rubble, ends the race pretty quick for me.
The clearance between the drive gear and the chassic is almost nothing.
Anybody else have this problem, and what did you do to fix this:
  1. Install a smaller gear, like in the 50 range instead of the standard 66?
  2. Change gear to steel so in grinds the dirt and stones?
  3. Buy a specially designed cover for the gear area? If so let me know, please.
  4. Sell your RC10GT and buy something else?
  5. Other?
CDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 11:49 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I had that same problem too. There is really nothing you can do to prevent this. Just make sure you have extra gears on hand. You could try and fabricate a plastic guard. After a few trial and errors you would find something that works well.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

I've never had this problem. Are you sure you're not setting your gear mesh to tight? Try running it a little bit looser and see if that helps. Going to a 50 something spur wouldn't work, you'd never get the thing moving. I've used 60 tooth spurs and you have to dremel the chassis to elongate the motor mount holes just to use those size spurs.
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:03 PM   #4
CDG
Tech Initiate

Thanks to both of you.

Its not the spur to drive gear clearance, but the clearance between the drive gear and the chassis that is the problem.
It appears that I'm probably running either a 66 or 64 tooth gear, and maybe a 60 would get me enough room.
I just checked one of them, and its a 66, and there is zero clearance(tub chassis), so maybe the 64 spare I have will work better.
I just checked my Blue plate chassis and it also has a 66 tooth, but there is more clearance on that one.
Let me take a few pics and share some info, I have an idea. (idea's can be costly, but I expect some of you may have already tried some of this)
Notes:
  1. Too small a gear would make the truck have no torque, unless I reduce the drive gear teeth aswell?
  2. Pull start and non pullstart motor mounts make the engine and gear sit higher than the other, giving us some additional movement back towards a smaller drive gear(spur is the big one right?) and pinion gear is the little one on the engine?
  3. The tub chassis seems to have the trany mounted higher? thats a question.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:23 PM   #5
Tech Master

from what you have said you are having this problem with a tub chassis?

That is the chassis I am having problems with too.

It has nothing to do with the gear mesh. I believe the problem does not exist with the plate chassis, mainly because the tub chassis holds more dirt. Like I said before, there really isn't anything you can do to stop the problem. Going to a smaller spur, like a 60 tooth, would require a larger pinion, somewhere in the region of a 17-19 tooth. Will that help, maybe, I never tried that.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:02 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

CDG, I don't think torque is a problem in a gas truck, so a taller final ratio may not hurt at all and may in fact make the truck easier to drive and faster, nopt to mention less wheelies during races(cool, but not fast)...........Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:22 PM   #7
CDG
Tech Initiate

I have both Tub and Flat chassis and I think your right(o.s. Power) about the Tub chassis, it just collects gravel better.
And I think the taller gears may give the truck a little more clearance in there. Here are the pictures, and you may be able to see the tub chassis' scrapes right under the spur gear. And note how very little space there is.

Here is the tub chassis above, very close.

here is a view above of the tub chassis and the way the gravel will tend to gather right under the gear. Idiots!

Here is the flat chassis above, also very close, but seams to have somewhere for the gravel to get thrown out.

And here is the flat chassis with obviously more room to spill the crap.

I was thinking maybe I should drill a hole under the front of the gear in the tub chassis, but maybe I should just convert to the flat chassis, the upgrade kit from RCBOYZ is only $40(+shp) plus I already have a roller with the flat chassis.

Note, I DID NOT RUN MY FLAT CHASSIS TO SEE IF I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM IN THE SCHOOL YARD YET. I hope that its better at freeing the gravel. perhaps we will try in a few minutes.
Old 10-22-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Yeah, the problem is most likely the tub chassis. It will hold the dirt in and then it can get into the spur. You could try the 64t spur, it will give a millimeter or 2 of space there. Also remember that the tub chassis flexes really bad in the tranny area, so that could be contributing to the problem by allowing the gear mesh to move around under stress.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:48 PM   #9
CDG
Tech Initiate

So my best bet is to switch to the flat chassis?

Is the blue flat chassis concidered the "Factory Chassis" or "Team Chassis"???
Or just to new chassis, and the tub is the vintage chassis?
Old 10-23-2005, 05:09 AM   #10
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Upgrade to the new chassis. I think the "Factory Chassis" or "Team Chassis" are the same. I've nver had an issue with debris getting stuck in the spur. My only problem is when the a-arm mounts loosen up, they rub the spur. But that's a maintenance issue on my part.
J_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:14 PM   #11
CDG
Tech Initiate

Ya, I just did some work to a factory team GT and the a arm mounts were indeed loose, but not rubbing next, found that it had screws that were too short. changed to the slightly longer and its fine now. but They do wear out and I'm sure people strip the screws when they get loose, could use a dremel tool to open up the clearance to let more gravel thru? hmmm.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:38 PM   #12
Tech Master

with regards to the arm mounts, are you using the rpm or the associated with the 3 mounting holes?

If not, pick some of those up. The best thing you can do is to put nuts on the screws to keep them from backing out. You will still have to check them often, but it helps immensely.

I find that I have to replace mine every year because the holes get enlarged from landing off the jumps.
Old 10-24-2005, 01:53 AM   #13
CDG
Tech Initiate

I have a few trucks, I'll lokk at them all, but I don't think I have any RPM arms. If I added a lobger bolt a nut would hit the gear on the furthest forward bolt?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:04 AM   #14
Tech Master

yes, that screw that sits below the spur is the only one you cannot put a nut on. Your best bet is to leave that screw the same length that it is now. Just put nuts on all of the rest, make sure you use loctite too, but not too much.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:19 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Or, you can take some spam advice and get my GT off ebay that ends in about 8 hours or so and is a loaded Factory Team GT...., Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote