R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-22-2005, 07:51 AM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Talking electric motor too hot.

ask me stuff i dont know...... tooo funny of a thread...... hahahaha. you should read it.... lol

Anyway i have just installed a 19T reedy spech motor in my T3 and i have the entire truck in the air suspended. I am running the motor at a low rpm and the motor is running up to 160 degrees F. Is this normal, the pinion is properly meshed and is running smoothly. Of course there is no air flow because its stationary but did not expect it to run so hot with no load.
New to electricks any help is great
Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 09:00 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have never actually checked the temperature of my mods but that sounds high. What size pinion are you running? Is the motor new? did you change the timing? does the spur gear spin freely when the motor pinion removed?
what type of speed control?
"Gone But Not Forgotten" --- RC10T, RC10T3, RCTc4, XRay007, XXT, XXTcrGraphitePlus, XXXT, XXXTMF, XXXTMF2----
"Spanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 12:10 PM   #3
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

that temp is about right. I wouldn't worry about it too much.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 01:46 PM   #4
Tech Elite

A general rule of thumb is that you can hold your thumb on the motor after you've run it for around 5 minutes or so.

I know that holding onto a nitro engine head around 180 degrees is not a big deal..so 160 sounds perfectly OK.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Bandit72577 Send a message via Yahoo to Bandit72577

I had a simalar problem this summer, in my T4. I was also running a reedy spec 19 motor, and I noticed that "smoke" was actually coming from the motor after a five minute run. I went to check it out and of course I stupidly grabbed the truck by rear buring my fingers ( I know better then that). Well the motor was destoyed, the rear motor plate was melted, the body was melted, and the moter wires where melted. But my ESC and batteries where perfectly all right. After investagating the motor afterwards, I notice a e-clip from somewhere had shorted out the motor. Now when I store my motors I keep them in their tubes and use a compressor and motor cleaner to clear them out.
Bandit72577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 05:47 PM   #6
CDG
Tech Initiate

Send a message via MSN to CDG Send a message via Yahoo to CDG

My experience with my RC10b with an 11 turn motor, was that I needed to make sure the gearing wasn't to tall(too small a spur, or too big a pinion, did I get that right?)

Also,
  1. check to make sure the motor is bolted directly to the metal mounting, as this provides significant heat disappation.
  2. Don't add any of those cheap little plastic cooling vent gizmos between the motor and the motor bracket.
  3. Adjust your clutch to slip when you hammer it, other wise you will go thru several motors/brushed/armatures fast
  4. you can add a little heat sink to the bracket near the motor, or even the really nice aluminum wrap around jobbies right on the motor.
  5. Make sure you don't have any crap in the motor, broken bits of brush, dirt, sand, etc.
  6. check the armature and brushes signs of burning, if you see any the most common problem is your gearing it too tall.
  7. check to make sure the wire connected to the motor have a very good solder joint, no quick connects allowed, thin wire or bad connections cause current jams, and heat.
  8. Also, the trucks are heavier and its a lot more work for those motors.
  9. check your trany, if its binding at all, this will add to the problem, same with wheel bearings/bushing, and any other drive line problem.
  10. you mentioned you were running in the air? sometimes the drive shafts rub on the A arms when you do this, probably not more than what the normal load would be while driving, but check.
Sorry, I can't really tell you what the right gears are for that T with a 19 turn, but I'm sure lots of T4 drivers can help.
CDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:14 PM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Well, just running it with no load isnt going to give a good impression of what kind of temperature it will run at on track, but I would think it shouldnt get that hot. There must be something binding up in the tranny, take the pinion off and spin the wheels, they should spin for at least 10 seconds. I know that before I sold the truck to you I could get the tranny w/tires to spin for a good 25 seconds, very little friction. So perhaps something has gotten into the gears or bearings. I can tell you that at the end of a 5 minute race my Trinity D6 13t would get up to about 170F when geared for max performance. Check the gearing chart for the T3 and make sure you've got the pinion gear in the right range before you run it, or else you could cook the brushes in only one run. Also make sure to let the motor cool between runs or you will overheat the brushes, which will cause excessive wear to the commutator and brushes.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 10:46 PM   #8
CDG
Tech Initiate

Ya, what Wheelnut said.
Old 10-29-2005, 07:43 PM   #9
Tech Apprentice

ya that why you get a gas way fewer problems and cheaper in the long run
nitrorevoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2005, 09:35 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

^ Have you ever even owned an electric car?I doubt it...
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 07:13 PM   #11
CDG
Tech Initiate

Electric is way cheaper, IMHO, I have an rc10b, that once I got it set up, its ran/runs forever, Batteries are cheap, when you get at least a few years out of them. I still us this Buggy today, and there is almost mo maintinance, just charging batteries.