Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
shorty lipo power output vs full size, same mah .... >

shorty lipo power output vs full size, same mah ....

shorty lipo power output vs full size, same mah ....

Old 06-02-2015, 07:02 PM
  #1  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (141)
 
hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vic, Australia
Posts: 3,140
Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Default shorty lipo power output vs full size, same mah ....

If you had the same brand lipo, with roughly the same capacity, will a full size pack have more punch compared to a shorty?
hacker is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 07:03 PM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Hoese37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Posts: 3,819
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

It shouldn't, unless the C rate is very different.
Hoese37 is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 07:53 PM
  #3  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
8ight-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,174
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hacker View Post
If you had the same brand lipo, with roughly the same capacity, will a full size pack have more punch compared to a shorty?
Typically density of equal packs in quality would dictate you see reduced C rating to achieve the similar mAH. I would be very surprised if it didn't change some unless the two packs are of different quality, chemistry & material changes from improvements over the years.

A full size pack would be say your typical 5400 60c, the shorty would end up being a 5400 40c, this may still be enough to handle your given load but in theory the the 5400 pack at 60c would allow 324amps, while the shorty at 40c would be 216amps. I suspect both would be plenty for 1/10 or 1/8 ebuggy.. maybe signs of softness at the end of the pack most noticeable as you move up in load.
8ight-e is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 08:16 PM
  #4  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,342
Default

I don't think it's a very realistic question. Same brand / similar packs of different sizes are very likely to have different capacities.

In general a full size pack with have slightly better electrical performance, but weighs more too which can bog down the RC performance. Practically it probably depends on the vehicle, can it get close to minimum weight with good balance with a full size pack? Assuming stock classes.
Dave H is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 08:46 PM
  #5  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (141)
 
hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vic, Australia
Posts: 3,140
Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Default

My rear mount serpent with shorty is about 25grams underweight. So yeh just trying out different configurations. I personally think a full pack will have a higher voltage output given the lipos are the same C rating and mah. I just think getting with a smaller physical size of a shorty, you would have to be 'giving' something up.
hacker is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 09:21 PM
  #6  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Hoese37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Posts: 3,819
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hacker View Post
My rear mount serpent with shorty is about 25grams underweight. So yeh just trying out different configurations. I personally think a full pack will have a higher voltage output given the lipos are the same C rating and mah. I just think getting with a smaller physical size of a shorty, you would have to be 'giving' something up.
You are, weight. As lipo technology advances, youre going to get the same battery, just in a smaller package. Its the same as everything else in the electronics world.
Hoese37 is offline  
Old 06-02-2015, 10:11 PM
  #7  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
8ight-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,174
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hoese37 View Post
You are, weight. As lipo technology advances, youre going to get the same battery, just in a smaller package. Its the same as everything else in the electronics world.
Please give just one example where the same product line has the same C rating and carries the same mAH in both a standard pack and a shorty pack. The only way this would ever happen is if you are talking about pretty low mAH packs 5k range.. none of the standard 6500-7200mAH packs fit. And at the same lower mAH those packs are going to be nearly equal in weight, so weight is not what you are gaining other than a couple oz of plastic housing,,, maybe.
8ight-e is offline  
Old 06-03-2015, 06:46 AM
  #8  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Hoese37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Posts: 3,819
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 8ight-e View Post
Please give just one example where the same product line has the same C rating and carries the same mAH in both a standard pack and a shorty pack. The only way this would ever happen is if you are talking about pretty low mAH packs 5k range.. none of the standard 6500-7200mAH packs fit. And at the same lower mAH those packs are going to be nearly equal in weight, so weight is not what you are gaining other than a couple oz of plastic housing,,, maybe.
Ever notice from years ago when a 3800 lipo was considered a big Mah? Now we have batteries hat are more than double that capacity in the same physical size.
Hoese37 is offline  
Old 06-03-2015, 07:00 AM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (18)
 
VooDooPH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Philippines
Posts: 3,715
Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default

i have never seen a shorty go over 5000mah...
VooDooPH is offline  
Old 06-03-2015, 07:33 AM
  #10  
Suspended
iTrader: (4)
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 398
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by VooDooPH View Post
i have never seen a shorty go over 5000mah...
Yet. Just as it was pointed out earlier, as the technology is refined, the capacity of shorty packs are going to go up. Obviously full size stick packs are going to increase in capacity too,

Capacity isn't really the point of a shorty. The decrease in weight (which is significant in 2/4wd 1/10th scale buggy) as well as the decreased moment of inertia are the main advantages of shorty packs. Different types of vehicles have different needs, and shorty packs fill the roll better than stick packs for 1/10th buggies.

Ultimately, if the capacity and C rating are the same the packs will perform the same, regardless of size.

Oh, one last thing. The first Orion lipo was 3800mah and 30C, the first shorty was 3800mah and 60C.
Mantis Toboggan is offline  
Old 06-03-2015, 03:15 PM
  #11  
Tech Champion
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,342
Default

Originally Posted by Mantis Toboggan View Post
Yet. Just as it was pointed out earlier, as the technology is refined, the capacity of shorty packs are going to go up. Obviously full size stick packs are going to increase in capacity too,

Capacity isn't really the point of a shorty. The decrease in weight (which is significant in 2/4wd 1/10th scale buggy) as well as the decreased moment of inertia are the main advantages of shorty packs. Different types of vehicles have different needs, and shorty packs fill the roll better than stick packs for 1/10th buggies.

Ultimately, if the capacity and C rating are the same the packs will perform the same, regardless of size.

Oh, one last thing. The first Orion lipo was 3800mah and 30C, the first shorty was 3800mah and 60C.
Orion offered several car lipo packs before the 3800mAh 30C. Including the 4800mAh Platinum pack. Which is a better comparison to current packs, as it had the now familiar nearly squared off shape.

The also earlier 3200/3600 and even the 3400/3800 were considerably smaller with a more rounded shape. And thinner with the cell bumps to better fit some of the roundy cell chassis of the day. (Wild guess on my part, perhaps also to reduce costs to help gain acceptance of the new hard case package, the Platinum was fairly expensive IIRC)

Even going back nearly a decade, early and comparable full size lipo packs had as much or more capacity/mAh as most any current shorty I've seen. C ratings have certainly went up a bit though.

Last edited by Dave H; 06-03-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: 3600 typo
Dave H is offline  
Old 06-03-2015, 03:53 PM
  #12  
Suspended
iTrader: (61)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,121
Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default

What IR? What temp?
Socket is offline  
Old 06-03-2015, 07:12 PM
  #13  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (58)
 
8ight-e's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,174
Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hoese37 View Post
Ever notice from years ago when a 3800 lipo was considered a big Mah? Now we have batteries hat are more than double that capacity in the same physical size.
Actually I've been running electric and brushless since the early days.. 5000mah packs have been around just about as long. You're talking nimh packs with 3800 :P and BTW physical size yes,, not weight. I agree chemistry is improving, density is improving but those packs in the 6500-7200 range are much heavier... it's always a balance
8ight-e is offline  
Old 06-03-2015, 10:17 PM
  #14  
Tech Elite
Thread Starter
iTrader: (141)
 
hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vic, Australia
Posts: 3,140
Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Hoese37 View Post
Ever notice from years ago when a 3800 lipo was considered a big Mah? Now we have batteries hat are more than double that capacity in the same physical size.
not really, the 7000mah batteries are way thicker
hacker is offline  
Old 06-04-2015, 08:55 AM
  #15  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Hoese37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Posts: 3,819
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by hacker View Post
not really, the 7000mah batteries are way thicker
Not sure which 7000 youre looking at, but here batteries need to meet ROAR approval, which is just the physical dimensions.
Hoese37 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.