R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-25-2005, 06:53 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Speedbump, your starting a pis... match by stating that my post "misleads" anyone.

"IMO", which means in your opinion, it is better to "overoil, then it is to underoil or to filter the air less"....... for a newbie. On every bottle of filter oil it says not to overoil and to squeeze out any excess. Air filter oil can damage the engine if it is sucked into it.

My post educated Nipper, I would think, on how an air filter works and the theory behind a K&N filter, also horsepower vs engine life. This way he can make a decision about what is more important.

I did not get into how micron particles may effect different parts of the engine and what sizes are acceptable because our little engines usually fail from heat and not dirt. Except when the filter completely falls off, which is almost always the case with air filter related damage.

From your post nobody, who isn't an experienced fullscale racer, should use a K&N filter in their street car?

Sorry for the long post, but the word misleading for me is like calling "Marty a chicken", especially since i've been biulding fullscale and R/C race cars as well as repairing them for over 25 years........, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 05:04 PM   #17
Tech Addict

My apologies Jim. You are right; misleading was a poor choice of words. Hereís the thing. I have been racing 1/10 scale and now 1/8 scale off-road over most of the Midwest. I canít tell you how many times I have helped people with engine problems weather it be a tuning issue or clutch problems. While I am looking over and working on their cars I canít help but notice what poor air filter maintenance most have. I see this with newbieís and veterans alike. Most people donít have a K&N filter system, although I know they sell them for off-road R/C applications I have never seen one being used. I am sure they work just fine but they are not very popular in 1/8 scale off-road. Not really sure why. My point is the way I read that it might lead some one too under oil their foam filter in hopes to gain a little more power. Having used the K&N filter system in the past I am aware they donít require as much oil as the foam filters do. But most would not know that. When I am racing in very dusty conditions I am very generous with the oil on my foam filters. I was at a money race about two months ago with some one who was a very avid on-road racer (Midwest on-road series champion at 14 years old) who thought he would give 1/8 off-road a try. He had a pretty fresh Serio engine that he was running. He made it to the B-main. During his 20min race he started to lose bottom end, at about the last 5 min he flamed out. We could not get him started again. When we got back to the pits we opened up his car to see what was up. Lo and behold was a brand new air filter with NO OIL on it. Apparently some in on-road donít oil there filters! We figured it took about 10 min to kill it. Lesson learned.

Anyway sorry you took offence to my post, it was not meant to do that at all.

Hope this clears things up!

Scott
SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 07:48 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

No problem Scott, I just hope that we got enough information on here for the new racer? Maybe too much, .

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 08:19 PM   #19
Tech Addict

SpeedBump57 is offline   Reply With Quote