R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-21-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Bandit72577 Send a message via Yahoo to Bandit72577
Default RC18T

Is there is anybody who seriuosly races their RC18T? There is a small group around here that was thinking of starting a racing series for the RC18T and 1/18th scale trucks (all brands). I have the RC18T RTR (blue one) with the 370 motor and XPS radio system. It came with full bearings, and I added FT turnbuckle, carbide ball diffs, and rpm wide front bumper so far. I would like to add a mamba system to it soon, but I would like to see more races for this little trucks. I know that there Mini-T races, but there should RC18t Race as well.
Attached Thumbnails
RC18T-rc18t.jpg   RC18T-rc18ttopoff.jpg   RC18T-rc18ttopoff2.jpg  
Bandit72577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't know much about these minis but isn't the 18t in the same class as the minit?
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:53 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to smaxxman

yes and no the mini-t is 2wd and the rc 18t is 4wd you can mix them but there is an unfair advantage.
smaxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #4
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to smaxxman

lots of people race these truck in fact i will be tomorow. There is even a national event held every year in Enfield, CT just for these 1/18th scale trucks. Do some internet searching and call your local hobby shops they might have a track and they might be racing they little beasts.
smaxxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 07:52 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default 18t

We race them around here a little. Only 18T's have shown up so far....

Most difficult to race RC car that I've ever tried. They are fun to play with, but very frustrating to race on an outdoor track that's rough and slick. They are so skittish. The tires are so small they are affected by every little rock, patch of loose dirt, holes, cracks, ruts, etc. Darn near every defect in the track sends them off course. And the stock motor is plenty fast enough. In fact, I have a 5 cell battery to try tomorrow in an attempt to calm the thing down.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2005, 08:20 PM   #6
Tech Elite

Not to present a biased opinion, but try a Mini-T. RC Car Action's racing comparison said that as long as bumps and jumps were an issue, they could go much faster with the Mini-T than they could the 18T.

A Mini-T Pro with a good servo is super easy to cruise around any track, rough or not.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:40 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to Bandit72577 Send a message via Yahoo to Bandit72577

I was thinking of picking up a Mini-T as well, that way I have the best of both worlds in 18th scale trucks, 4WD and 2WD. I noticed Mini-T hop-ups are far more available them 18T, all the 18T parts are quite expensive. So I think I will pick up a Mini-T too.
Bandit72577 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 06:33 PM   #8
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Not sure if I posted this pic of our Illuzion RC18T body yet here?......., Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2005, 07:16 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default mini's

Raced with the 5 cell pack today.....Much easier to drive, and still plenty fast.

Got beat by a guy running a really tricked out 18T, Mamba motor, aftermarket shocks, Proline Bowtie tires, etc. He would have beat me with the stock setup though.

Another guy had a MiniT, and we were evenly matched. I do think the 4wd was a slight advantage, but not overly significant. I now think a MiniT would be plenty competitive with 18T's once the RTR electrics are replaced with better stuff. I think the 18T has a big advantage in that area......
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 12:25 AM   #10
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing

We race our 18T and our Mini T. The 18T is incredible with a BAJA and foams. It's loaded with parts and has about 95% billet kit parts. All it's missing is the A-arms. The Mini-T has a Losi Pro motor, CRC shocks (the first versions that leaked like a strainer...at least in the front). To see some pictures go to www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/Rides.html.

We also have a little micro off-road track. In warm weather we race on-road oval, but we like to swap out the tires for off-road action at our track. The page for the track is still under construction, but you can still see some stuff if you go to www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/Races.html.
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 05:00 PM   #11
Tech Elite

Now you guys are bringin the Mini T into it....we have one for those too, ....., Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 10-24-2005, 02:21 PM   #12
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

stock to stock, the rc18T was a much better carpet racer than the mini-t from what I saw. The Rc18T just looked more stable around the track, like a mini touring car.

I would say that if you setup the vehicles similar on a carpet track, they will be pretty close to each other.

Can't wait to see the mini LST.

I would say for your racing, run both types together until you got enough people to make it worth splitting them up.
Old 10-25-2005, 06:30 AM   #13
Tech Elite

I would guess from looking at the RC18T that associated was getting into the mini touring car market. That is until they saw poor sales in that market and they jumped into the mini 4wd stadium truck market, which at the time wasn't created yet, haha.

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 10-29-2005, 10:50 PM   #14
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I've been racing my 18T for about 4 months now and had it for almost a year. The track I race at is an out door off road track that runs mostly nitro monsters and outlaws! Electric is not very popular here in Hawaii now for some reason?

The 1/18th class started out as a mini-t class till the 18t came out. They run all mini's in one class as there usually isn't enough racers to split them.

My 18t is mostly stock with the addition of a mc230cr esc, hitec hs81mg servo, and RAD 400 motor. And I added TC3 steel turnbuckles and 4-40 ball cups and balls studs. I also flipped the suspension arms to gain an extra 10mm of wheelbase. This did help the handling on the track and the truck jumps good.

My 18t does very well on the track that is really bumpy despite 85% or the track being covered in carpet! I do pretty good and compete well against a mambafied 18T!

I think the 18t and mini-t can compete together, but the Half8 is a total beast on a rough track! Although it takes more to get it to go fast!( Mamba and 3 cell lipo) is just ridiculous!

Overall the 18t is a blast to drive on the track, but it does take some getting used it getting bounced around my bumps in the track that you can't even see!

I just got a JConcepts Illuzion Body!!! Looking forward to painting it and using it with my Trinity 1/10th wheel adapters and Proline wheels/AE rally! tires!
Attached Thumbnails
RC18T-truggy-1.jpg  
Xtant3150c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 09:12 PM   #15
Tech Elite

Xtant, cool, your truck looks good in the pic....of course i'd like to see a pic of the J concepts one too?

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"