Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
LIPO Battery blew up at my house today.... >

LIPO Battery blew up at my house today....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LIPO Battery blew up at my house today....

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 07:03 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Every time I hear of lipo fires, I review my current lipo safety habits. I think I'm still good, although an upgrade to an ammo box is wise. Since the last big lipo fire I heard about that took out the whole indoor track in the UK, Ive been checking voltage every 10 days or so on 25+ batteries and store them better. I also have my cutoff on esc to be fairly high so I dont run them down too far.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:13 AM
Tech Fanatic

Nice find. Something for everyone that choose to participate in the hobby with lithium polymer batteries. When first introduced my hobbyshop owner gave me a tutorial on the gruesome ordeals that could arise (said to myself I would never). I remember when a runaway frightened me
Old 05-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

After reading this I think the key take away is that if you notice something unusual about your lipo, like a dead cell, safely dispose of it. Don't try to save it. Its caput. Most chargers would not even allow you to charge a lipo with low voltage. Your charger must be ancient. I charge 6 lipos at once some racedays @ 30-40 amps (rarely more than 30) w/o a lipo sack and I have never have issues but I do check the voltage, IR, temp etc everytime. Although I could set my Ichargers to charge w/o balancing, I always balance. I also have my chargers away from other stuff.

Over the years I have had a couple of lipos explode on the charger but never catch fire. The only lipo fires that I've had were on the track. I've learned that the second there is something weird about your lipo that its time to get rid of it.

For the OP all I can say is that I do not believe that the lipo just went bad all at once. You probably didn't notice the symptoms. I'm not trying to say you did anything terribly wrong. It happens. Most of us are human. When I started racing I did a bunch of stupid things with batteries. I'm also not saying that you did anything stupid, I'm saying that I did.

My last .02 is a reminder that a fire extinguisher is not going to put out a lipo fire. You have to smother them with dirt, sand, kitty litter.....something like that. If you are worried about safety keep a bag or bucketful of kitty litter nearby.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:20 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nexxus
Venom Stronghold boxes are what I use, they vent properly can be reused after a lipo fire wheras a bag is one fire and it's done. Had one lipo fire in the box, no damage to the plastic table it was on or the charger (just the charge lead), empty the remains in the bin, chuck it in the dishwasher, and good to go again.
+1

I have three that I use, one for every charge port. It's a shame that they are hard to find, I think they are the best charge box you can buy.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by QDRHRSE
After reading this I think the key take away is that if you notice something unusual about your lipo, like a dead cell, safely dispose of it. Don't try to save it. Its caput. Most chargers would not even allow you to charge a lipo with low voltage. Your charger must be ancient. I charge 6 lipos at once some racedays @ 30-40 amps (rarely more than 30) w/o a lipo sack and I have never have issues but I do check the voltage, IR, temp etc everytime. Although I could set my Ichargers to charge w/o balancing, I always balance. I also have my chargers away from other stuff.

Over the years I have had a couple of lipos explode on the charger but never catch fire. The only lipo fires that I've had were on the track. I've learned that the second there is something weird about your lipo that its time to get rid of it.

For the OP all I can say is that I do not believe that the lipo just went bad all at once. You probably didn't notice the symptoms. I'm not trying to say you did anything terribly wrong. It happens. Most of us are human. When I started racing I did a bunch of stupid things with batteries. I'm also not saying that you did anything stupid, I'm saying that I did.

My last .02 is a reminder that a fire extinguisher is not going to put out a lipo fire. You have to smother them with dirt, sand, kitty litter.....something like that. If you are worried about safety keep a bag or bucketful of kitty litter nearby.
30-40 amps, without a lipo sack. Remind me not to let you anywhere near our club.!!
Old 05-30-2015, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Piles
30-40 amps, without a lipo sack. Remind me not to let you anywhere near our club.!!

Why?

The kid with an 8yr old Ice charger charging his 4yr old 25c rated lipos at 10amps worries me more than the guy with an Icharger who's smart enough to program it right using all it's features. IF you know the history of your packs and monitor their condition, like everyone should. I don't have an issue with or safety concerns about high amp charge rates with today's lipo chemistry.

IMO
Old 05-30-2015, 10:17 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by racer1812
Why?

The kid with an 8yr old Ice charger charging his 4yr old 25c rated lipos at 10amps worries me more than the guy with an Icharger who's smart enough to program it right using all it's features. IF you know the history of your packs and monitor their condition, like everyone should. I don't have an issue with or safety concerns about high amp charge rates with today's lipo chemistry.

IMO
"Why?"
No lipo bag, charging at 30-40 amps and with a history of explosions and fires, either QDRHRSE doesnt monitor his cells over time or it has no benefit in doing so. I would suggest a re-think of his practices. So as I said, he would'nt be anywhere near me at a meet. In fact I dont know of any venue that would allow him to take part.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:10 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

"Why?"
No lipo bag, charging at 30-40 amps and with a history of explosions and fires, either QDRHRSE doesnt monitor his cells over time or it has no benefit in doing so. I would suggest a re-think of his practices. So as I said, he would'nt be anywhere near me at a meet. In fact I dont know of any venue that would allow him to take part.
You're trolling, it's ok.

1 question - what charger are you using?

Last edited by Socket; 05-30-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:12 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812
Why?

IMO
This, right on. I'll continue to charge at 40 to 70amps, and have no worries.

I also map all of my IR's over time, as well as starting and finishing voltages.

Every charge and discharge cycle is closely monitored, and if a battery is close to dropping out of balance either by voltage or IR, it gets trashed.

I also buy new batteries every other month.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

My question is, why on earth wouldn't you charge in a LiPo sack? No harm in it but damn sure a lot of potential good.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Socket
You're trolling, it's ok.

1 question - what charger are you using?
What part of my comment do you have an issue with?
You don't seem to have a question, you just seem condescending which makes you look ignorant/arrogant or both. Very much the troll that you accuse me of.
Old 05-30-2015, 11:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Well nothing new here. If you do not balance charge your lipos every time you run the risk of burning down your house, shop ect. I thought this would have been common knowledge by now. Perhaps people in this hobby and in the industry do not stress this enough.
Old 05-30-2015, 12:26 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Nick@Jet
I just wanted to share this with the RC community. I've seen pictures, I know this happens however this happened to me today. Started a fire in my garage with my kids upstairs unknowing of the explosion unfortunately my first fire extinguisher did not work meaning fire extinguisher was low on charge for some reason. By the time I ran upstairs to get my backup fire extinguisher in the flames were 5 feet.

Anyway this happened with a four cell SMC 6500 battery by the way SMC, no dig against you, I love your batteries and will continue to run them. In fact will place an order soon to replace the two that it took out .

The best I can tell is a 4S battery was showing 13.6 V on the LIPO charge setting and had been on for half an hour. I wasn't really paying attention since I was working on other things. I looked at the battery and decided to hook up and balance since it looked a little suspicious. One cell showed 0 V the other approximate 4.05 V. Well it was charging and pulling 3 A ,was set to 4S correctly. So I put it back on charge not balance ... Huh ... Must be my balance plug...
Half an hour later after I walked inside the house I heard the explosion which was not huge but was loud enough so I went to investigate and a 3 foot flame on my workbench and of course other things on my workbench caught fire. My dad and I got the fire out however moral of the story I had five LIPO bags laying on my bench and I was not using them. thank God it happened the way it did my dad never comes over through the week was there and that's why I went back out by the garage otherwise I would've been upstairs and not heard this. Also foolishly I have not use LIPO bags when I am present... well had my kids been there we would've been right in front of the explosion. I will now always use LIPO bags no matter how much of a pain they are.

Oh... And I pledge to move all my high-power rocket motors away from the charger :-).

Lost... (3) SMC 4S 6500 batteries, (1) Hitec x4 charger, (1) rocket, and half the items on my work bench, (2) fire extinguishers...that's ok, that's what they are there for...
No one hurt ! No real damage to my house or garage!

Call me an idiot all you want, I'll take it,?but there is something to be learned here.
Not an idiot and thanks for sharing. Sorry you lost those SMC's and glad no one was hurt. I get lazy and don't use the lipo sack sometimes. I'm going to be better about that from now on.
Old 05-30-2015, 02:36 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default Radio LiPo fire last night

Last night at the races this guy bought a brand new lipo for his radio. Half way thru the night his radio got extremely warm and started to melt. He immediately ran outside and pulled the battery and it was in flames for awhile. The radio is now a twisted blob of plastic.

Don't know how he charged it but it was just a couple hours old!
Old 05-30-2015, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

"Why?"
Lipo fires have been an issue since day one regardless of current charge rates, and honestly they're rare. What data or history can you supply that confirms an increase in lipo failure directly related to current high charge rates with todays lipo chemistry??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.