Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
10th scale 4x4 buggy for natural outdoor tracks? >

10th scale 4x4 buggy for natural outdoor tracks?

10th scale 4x4 buggy for natural outdoor tracks?

Old 04-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)
Default 10th scale 4x4 buggy for natural outdoor tracks?

Any recommendations on a 4x4 buggy that will be raced on a large natural loamy outdoor track?
Old 04-28-2015, 03:33 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

The Hot Bodies or the Caster are probably both worth a look.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

The Losi XX-4 / TLR 22-4 has the best suspension package for rough surfaces. The drivetrain is also enclosed. /end thread
Old 04-29-2015, 01:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Funny Eric, We run outdoors on 2 rather large outdoor dirt tracks and there is no one best car. And here it ranges from K1's, 22-4's, XB4s, 44.2/3's, 410's, 413's, my SB401 and others and they are all competitive. On occasion I've smoked them all with ease running my 410 and now with my SB401 I was tearing it up on treadless tires, 2 of which were coming unglued and the battery dumped on me as I was coming up to take 4th. In this A-main there were 2 or 3 413's, 2 XB4's, 2 K1's some 44.2/3's, 3 410's and at least a Yokomo (could've been 2).

On that day I was simply on it and almost untouchable but I had to drive a near flawless race and my equipment had to hold up, which it didn't.

The best answer ANYONE can provide for the OP is to go to your local track and see what people are running as well as which vehicles appeal most to you. The one thing I will say is that in today's world of RC, DO NOT conform to a vehicle simply because of local parts support because you can buy parts online just as easily, and even a bit more convenient in that you can have them shipped to your home and save yourself a drive, if applicable.

I learned to do my research and buy what I feel is the best car for me and I have yet to encounter an issue allocating and buying parts online. There are quite a few online shops that stock just about everything for most vehicles which affords us the freedom to try many different things without feeling like we made a poor choice.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:44 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

My b44.3 was almost unbeatable this past winter running on our cold wet track with just a 13.5, using the box setup.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:09 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by the incubus
Funny Eric, We run outdoors on 2 rather large outdoor dirt tracks and there is no one best car. And here it ranges from K1's, 22-4's, XB4s, 44.2/3's, 410's, 413's, my SB401 and others and they are all competitive. On occasion I've smoked them all with ease running my 410 and now with my SB401 I was tearing it up on treadless tires, 2 of which were coming unglued and the battery dumped on me as I was coming up to take 4th. In this A-main there were 2 or 3 413's, 2 XB4's, 2 K1's some 44.2/3's, 3 410's and at least a Yokomo (could've been 2).

On that day I was simply on it and almost untouchable but I had to drive a near flawless race and my equipment had to hold up, which it didn't.

The best answer ANYONE can provide for the OP is to go to your local track and see what people are running as well as which vehicles appeal most to you. The one thing I will say is that in today's world of RC, DO NOT conform to a vehicle simply because of local parts support because you can buy parts online just as easily, and even a bit more convenient in that you can have them shipped to your home and save yourself a drive, if applicable.

I learned to do my research and buy what I feel is the best car for me and I have yet to encounter an issue allocating and buying parts online. There are quite a few online shops that stock just about everything for most vehicles which affords us the freedom to try many different things without feeling like we made a poor choice.
Just won the internet !
Old 05-14-2015, 02:56 PM
Tech Elite

small 1/10th buggies with their tiny open spur gear on outdoor ? make sure there isn't too much gravel !
Old 05-14-2015, 07:19 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

You would have to have a pretty gnarly track to have the open spur be an issue.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:59 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

HB D413, it drives and feels like a mini 1/8 scale buggy... LOL
I ran mine this past weekend at first outdoor race on big, dusty and rutted track and the 413 felt great.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sandfreak
Any recommendations on a 4x4 buggy that will be raced on a large natural loamy outdoor track?
Originally Posted by werner sline
small 1/10th buggies with their tiny open spur gear on outdoor ? make sure there isn't too much gravel !
Originally Posted by bds81175
You would have to have a pretty gnarly track to have the open spur be an issue.
The OP said loamy. On an actual loamy track, the sandy dirt gets everywhere. modern buggies with open drivetrains do not deal well with it, even if you manage not to DNF from a jammed/stripped spur gear, you will be replacing spurs and pinions every other race day. That's why I suggested the Losi buggy. The 22-4 is an updated XX4. The XX4 was designed at a time when outdoor loamy tracks were by far the most popular surface, and it dominated until packed clay tracks took over.
Old 05-15-2015, 10:24 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Nonsense Eric,

the vast majority of 1/10 buggies have an open spur and they all tend to do perfectly fine. However, as with anything, there are those rare occasions where the improbable happens and a spur is shot and those are usually things you see n the net and hear about because those usually have pictures attached and it draws such attention many people believe it to be a "weakness" or "area of concern" when in fact it's a far from accurate depiction.

The 22-4 is not more bulletproof in any way over anything else, and in fact, speaking from experience, it tends to be one of the buggies that's a tad more prone to failure due to breakage stemming from it's mass. My buddy ran his on carpet a couple of weeks ago and his diffs are now toast from he stresses and forces that particular surface places on the drivetrain.

In contrast, all other cars faired just well, even the cheap RTR's. Go figure.

I've been running on a true offered dirt track for a few years now and have yet to throw a spur on any of my wheelers, not my 44, 410, or SB401.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:07 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

Thanks for all the replies.
I ended up going with a 1/8 E buggy in hopes of building up that class.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Sandfreak
Thanks for all the replies.
I ended up going with a 1/8 E buggy in hopes of building up that class.
This was always the best answer. Bigger buggies are easier and more enjoyable to drive on less prepared surfaces.