R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   P5 settings (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/87240-p5-settings.html)

augerpro 10-14-2005 06:18 PM

P5 settings

My hsn seems tuned pretty well, speed is good and temps reach about 230-240 during a race. However if the car sits or goes real slow (like through a twisty section) for 5 seconds it loads up real bad and bogs. The lsn is only 1 2/3 out, I'm going to cut it back some more but iwas wondering if this normal to only have it 1 1/2 out?

Also I'm running an rdlogic 61850 pipe, anyone with exp. know if this a lowend/topend pipe?

o.s. power 10-14-2005 09:28 PM

what does the owners manual say regarding your needle settings?

It sounds like your needles are slightly off balance. Sounds like you are too rich on the bottom and slighly lean on the top.

Since you are running rich on the low, it will mask the fact you are lean on the top, but i don't think you are so lean your going to cause damage or anything like that.

augerpro 10-14-2005 09:57 PM

The directions are in Italian :rolleyes: They were pretty sparse anyway, just a blowup diagram. I'll try leaning the lsn some more, it just seems 1 2/3 out is already pretty lean, but I don't know, this is only my second motor.

o.s. power 10-15-2005 08:56 AM

yeah that does sound a little lean on the bottom. I guess trying to answer a question at 1 am isn't the brightest idea.

when the car goes slow, you say it loads up. are you sure it loads up?

do you see a lot of smoke coming from the exhuast when you get back on the gas?

If you where to have the lo speed to lean it would seem the motor is loading up and it would stall.

SpeedBump57 10-15-2005 09:51 AM

augerpro is that the 3 needle carb or the two needle?

augerpro 10-15-2005 04:42 PM

2 needle

augerpro 10-15-2005 08:22 PM

OS power think you were on to something. My hsn is 4 turns out! Maybe the rich hsn was overpowering the lsn making me cut it back so far. Only got an hour before the race tomarrow to figure it out. I think I'll cut the hsn 1/2 turn and open the lsn 1/2 turn then tune from there.

And yes it smoked pretty good all the time, but really puffed if it stopped for a few seconds.

SpeedBump57 10-15-2005 08:29 PM

augerpro I have a Nova P5X with the two needle carb and I am 3 1/2 LSN & 3 HSN. Though this might help! :)

o.s. power 10-15-2005 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by augerpro
OS power think you were on to something. My hsn is 4 turns out! Maybe the rich hsn was overpowering the lsn making me cut it back so far. Only got an hour before the race tomarrow to figure it out. I think I'll cut the hsn 1/2 turn and open the lsn 1/2 turn then tune from there.

And yes it smoked pretty good all the time, but really puffed if it stopped for a few seconds.

yes that will cause your problem.

The way these carbs work, something that regan leblanc told me years ago, is that the high speed needle actually controls how much overall fuel gets to the motor. It does control the high speed settings, as the name implies, but an overly rich high speed will bog the motor down at all speeds and make it load up at idle.

to control your engine temperature, play with the low speed needle. too hot, richen it up by an hour.

you might have to re-adjust your idle too, so keep that in mind.