R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Slow Speed (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/87218-slow-speed.html)

Khan48 10-14-2005 01:24 PM

Slow Speed

e

o.s. power 10-14-2005 03:02 PM

when racing in the stock class, you have to invest in some of the best batteries and esc's to be competitive, and by competitive I mean having a chance to win.

I bet the guy you were comparing to was a local hotshoe. Either way he probably had his motor tuned up pretty well along with a high end esc.

Some of the first things you need to do with a stock motor before you run it for the first time if you want to be fast:

1 - align the brush hoods, racers edge makes a good tool, I have on and it works very well, parma has one too, but I think it is more combersome to use.

2 - sometimes the bushings are not set square in the endbell and can, press on the bushings with a wood dowel to set them in, although more than likely they already are.

3 - You need to shim the armature so the comm is in the center of the magnetic fields, this process is tedious, buy a reedy shim kit and that will tell you how to do it, it think they cost $2, very good investment.

4 - remember to be careful with your gearing selection, it is easy to overgear a stock motor. over gearing = motor death

these are the 4 basic things you should do right off the bat. the next steps involve money. well, at least more than $2.

5 - finding the right brush and spring combination is critical. I think trinity and reedy have guides on their websites to help choose the right stuff.

6 - batteries and esc. This is where cubic dollars come in handy. If you want to put the icing on the cake with all the stuff above, you should have some high voltage batteries, this is what is required if you want to go faster. If you have high voltage batteries, you would be smart to invest in a good esc, a gtx or qc2.

I didn't want to type this much, but I hope you find this helpful in your quest for more speed

THE_REAL_FROBOY 10-14-2005 05:06 PM

another thing is break down your pakcs to a sxs pack. how old are youre apcks if they are very old that could be the problem. i know there was problems with the 3600 and having it go flat after a few charges.

Khan48 10-14-2005 05:46 PM

age of bats

e
e

Platinum_Racing 10-14-2005 05:49 PM

Ahhh the good ol' XRS letting people down everywhere. You aren't the only one!

What spur are you running? What about tires?

Mark T 10-14-2005 05:50 PM

HotShoe- One of the best guys at your track. One how is very competitive and very good at driving at your local track.

www.motortuningsecrets.com

Khan48 10-14-2005 05:54 PM

e

jbrow1 10-14-2005 07:46 PM

I've never got a elec motor to run like some guys do. Some guys can tune them to run as fast as 19 turns. The tuning tips mentioned above are great tips and you should do them. But you still may not see your motor get as fast as the other guys. Even with the right batts and speed control it may not. It's kind of like the luck of the draw with motors, sometimes you get a fast one sometimes not. And I've seen some guys who put bearings in the pinion side of the motor where nobody can easily tell, switch armatures, cut the timing slot off and advance the motor just a hair.. Some guys do cheat. But generally not the "hot shoes" as people are more apt to be asking them questions alot and looking at there stuff all the time.

I really think it's just experiance in running the motor and finding what works. Takes time and effort just like learning to drive well on a track.