R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-15-2005, 01:02 AM   #16
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

Ok, after checking out the pic more carefully I can say with certainty that, that chassis is just a regular T4 plastic tub with a nitro engine in it. The entire T4 motor gaurd and everything are still intact. I highly doubt anything this hack would be a team AE prototype. They would at least be using an aluminum chassis!
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 09:58 AM   #17
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

good eye, I can't tell because my monitor took a crap on me, all the reds are black and the blues are purple and so on.

associated wouldn't do anything stupid like that.
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 05:35 PM   #18
Tech Adept

HEY!!! That's my truck. Hahaha. This is something I am messing around with. I was there about to idle a tank through the new engine since I can't run a nitro truck at my apartment complex. But didn't get a chance too since it was geting late and the wife had dinner ready. This is so funny.

Wheel Nut - You are partially right about the chassis. However what you can't see is an aluminum insert where the engine mounts. Because of the way the shocktower and rear suspension mounts to the chassis I thought I'd try to use as much of the stock parts as possible. There's nothing worse that breaking a custom built part at the track. Also mounting the steering on the truck would be a pain too had I used a full aluminum chassis.

This isn't the first truck I've built using these design ideas. The first truck I built like this was a Losi XX-T way back when. I wish I still had that truck. And actually it worked very well. I haven't taking any laps with this truck yet since the engine is still needs to be broken in.
dpalXRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 06:38 PM   #19
Tech Adept

i have been told from a very reliable source that there is a GT2 coming!!!!! i have seen a breif glimse of CAD drawings, but i didnt get a good look at them....but it is coming, the only question is WHEN?!
SPZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:20 PM   #20
Tech Rookie

AH HA!! The truth comes out! I still think the truck looks cool.
pennyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 07:48 PM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WheelNut

DualXRC, I understand why you would need to keep the stock chassis. Creating an aluminum one would be extremely difficult. Very cool project! I have also thought about combining my T4 with my GT.
WheelNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 08:28 PM   #22
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

dpalXRC - how do you get the clutch and everything hooked up with the transmission? Just curious. Possible for a pic from the rear side view?
jbrow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2005, 11:21 PM   #23
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrow1
dpalXRC - how do you get the clutch and everything hooked up with the transmission? Just curious. Possible for a pic from the rear side view?
I would like to see that too!!
J_Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2005, 01:25 AM   #24
Tech Adept

I'll post some photos as soon as I get some good ones taken at work on Monday.

FYI I didn't use the stock transmission. I had to make one.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:32 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Losi never made a XX-NT. There was a company named Earl's that made a conversion for the XX-T but that was it. Losi's first gas truck was the GTX and it was produced for Horizon. They made a change to the rear end and sold it as the NXT. The XXX-NT came out a few years later.

PURELY SPECULATION: Associated has a new gas truck...from what I've heard, it's supposed to be pretty cool. But they also have a new project in the works and it pushed back the new GT a little bit.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:24 PM   #26
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
Losi never made a XX-NT. There was a company named Earl's that made a conversion for the XX-T but that was it. Losi's first gas truck was the GTX and it was produced for Horizon. They made a change to the rear end and sold it as the NXT. The XXX-NT came out a few years later.

PURELY SPECULATION: Associated has a new gas truck...from what I've heard, it's supposed to be pretty cool. But they also have a new project in the works and it pushed back the new GT a little bit.
You're right it was the GTX and NXT. The GTX was basically the LXT right? Then the NXT.

I remember those Earl's trucks. They used to race at the Ranch Pit shop.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:36 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Jeremy Kortz made the main at Silver State one year with an Earl's truck.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:42 PM   #28
Tech Adept

BTW here is a better photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Associated Nitro T4 (NT4?)-body-off-nt4.jpg  
Old 10-18-2005, 02:31 PM   #29
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Waldron
But they also have a new project in the works and it pushed back the new GT a little bit.
What.. are they designing a new body and tire set to slap on the rc18t to push out the door as another new 1/18th scale vehicle?
Serzoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2005, 02:47 PM   #30
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

LOL
but hey it makes sense because my daughter always think i got a new car again everytime my car sports a new body and new tires... then she tells mommy about it and the "session of explanation" begins.

associated is a very good company but i think they only R&D whatever is hot at the moment. like when the monster trucks craze started, they sported the MGT. they do where the money is, which is pretty reasonable.
Derby Bros Racing is offline   Reply With Quote