Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to clean your RC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 06:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Best way to clean your RC?

So I've just purchased a SC10 and ran it around my yard for the first time last night, and when I brought it back in to clean it, I was amazed at how dirty it got just from that little bit of running. Being a noob at this I was unsure about how to go about cleaning the thing. I mean, I easily cleaned the big open areas with a damp cloth but how do you get in all the nooks and crannies. I have seen on YouTube where some people just spray their whole chassis with a water hose. Is that safe? I know the receiver is supposedly water tight, but what about all the other electronics? Any advice is appreciated!
Old 02-01-2012, 06:31 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

I never spray anything regardless of watertight claims. To get into small areas, I use a toothbrush and some Simple Green. Compressed air can also be a big help.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:42 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Please for your sake do not spray it with a water hose without first stripping the electronics out. Servo-esc-receiver-motor.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

To be on the safe side remove the electronics. I use nitro blaster, really takes the dirt and grime off well!!!
Old 02-01-2012, 07:03 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by jblaylock
So I've just purchased a SC10 and ran it around my yard for the first time last night, and when I brought it back in to clean it, I was amazed at how dirty it got just from that little bit of running. Being a noob at this I was unsure about how to go about cleaning the thing. I mean, I easily cleaned the big open areas with a damp cloth but how do you get in all the nooks and crannies. I have seen on YouTube where some people just spray their whole chassis with a water hose. Is that safe? I know the receiver is supposedly water tight, but what about all the other electronics? Any advice is appreciated!
I wouldn't spray it with a hose. Get a small air compresser to get in the nooks and crannies (be sure to wear safety glasses/goggles).

The waterproof claims are sometimes dubious when it comes to electronics. Not only that the ball bearings are NOT waterproof. I've seen guys do that and water gets in the bearings the bearings corrode and freeze up.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if your like me. I take it apart after 6 races totally...... wash it with dish washing liquid re grease and oil the goodies put it back together. I dont have a life... retired and tinker a lot.. but when you take it apart you can find things that might go wrong and that will help also with the understanding of how it all works.. when your at the track or friends you will know so much after taking it apart you will be able to help your buddies when there car takes a dump ..hope this helps.. Keep it clean. then remember how long it took to clean it and keep it out of the mud lol
Old 02-01-2012, 07:06 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 207 (100%+)

I only run my 1/10 cars indoors on smooth track, therefore, cleaning isnt that big of a deal. When I do need help, I use a toothbrush with some simple green or orange kleen pledge and compressed air.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

+1 on previous posts. For deep cleaning I also use Kalgard Products.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

+1 on the Kalgard prep and shine
Old 02-01-2012, 09:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Compressed air followed by a soft-bristle brush, like a medium size paint brush. A tooth brush works well in the tight areas.

It takes some time, but you really should check your car over periodically anyhow.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:29 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Dishwasher
Old 02-01-2012, 09:53 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Wink

for me on all my 1/10th offroad I use simple green and then wipe it down as good as I can using a shammy and a tooth brush then after I get it I go back with ENDUST which is a cheaper market for pledge but IMO works better because it doesnt foam up and spray it on everything but the tires, lightly over electronics wont hurt it, then go back after a min and wipe it clean again shammy and toothbrush and my stuff looks brand new everytime the endust makes the plastic look shinny and black again like out of the package and it also makes the next time cleaning easier as the dirt doesn't stick as good.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:02 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
Dishwasher
THIS, lol.

I went to an electric race about 20 years ago that it unexpectedly started raining. My truck and buggy gained like two pounds of mud in a single round of qualifing. They called it after two rounds, when I got home I stripped all the electrics out, and put both chassis into...the dishwasher...so I could get them cleaned up (and easier to work on) before I went through them.

I use the air compressor these days, FWIW.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:08 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevink123
for me on all my 1/10th offroad I use simple green and then wipe it down as good as I can using a shammy and a tooth brush then after I get it I go back with ENDUST which is a cheaper market for pledge but IMO works better because it doesnt foam up and spray it on everything but the tires, lightly over electronics wont hurt it, then go back after a min and wipe it clean again shammy and toothbrush and my stuff looks brand new everytime the endust makes the plastic look shinny and black again like out of the package and it also makes the next time cleaning easier as the dirt doesn't stick as good.
Periods?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:52 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jmuck69
Periods?
if I was writing a book or doing a paper for school sure but its just a post and a reply on a forum. maybe i'll just have you proof read everything before I submit it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.