Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
MIGHT THERE BE NEED 21.5 BUGGY CLASS >

MIGHT THERE BE NEED 21.5 BUGGY CLASS

MIGHT THERE BE NEED 21.5 BUGGY CLASS

Old 03-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by racer1812 View Post
Because motor timing is not accurate or regulated as to how it's listed/printed on the motor.
It would require plugging the motor to a motorlyzer or such. More work...

Another thing would be banning lipos in Stock, just LiFePO4 (aren't they using it at Japan or it's just a Tamiya thing?). I don't know about but running a less dangerous battery would do great for beginners.

Mr. Pike has very valid points, a FDR interval one can use with pre tested motor seems very user friendly too.

How about sponsored drivers running Stock?
Old 03-26-2015, 06:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

It seems the biggest problem for a lot of people is sponsored drivers in a combined stock class. All our tracks out in northern california have an expert and sportsman stock. The normal rule is for sponsored guys to run in the expert class.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:38 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

So is everyones definition of a sponsored driver someone who is much more talented than everyone else and gets all their stuff for free? 90% of sponsored drivers get a discount on parts but they are from free plus they are willing to put in the practice and tuning time to become top of the heap. Most are the nicest guys at the track and more than willing to help with setup questions. personally I like to race against sponsored guys gives me someone to try and run competitively with and better my own skills
Old 03-27-2015, 01:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I think that with the popularity of 17.5 blinky 2wd buggy there is no choice but to have sponsored drivers. Sponsors get drivers to promote their products and I think there are a lot less 100% ride sponsors than many think getting a discount is what the majority get. point being if the sponsored drivers were not allowed in 17.5 buggy than there would be less parts development and r&d spent on the class, In my opinion the fact that the class is so successful right now is in large part of sponsored drivers at the local level they share set up tips, and help newer drivers learn a lot of the time these are the most helpful guys and gals at the track.

That being said that is where my thoughts of a lower speed spec class oriented class that is slow enough that the newer drivers are challenged to learn to drive and set up vehicles better, and at the same time making it a little boring for a more experienced driver will the race director have to kick some out and up on this class sure they will but that is the case with novice as well its ok. have heard the mention of needing another motor in the line up 21.5 or 25.5 but that is a non issue motors can be had new for 30 to 40 dollars for entry level motors ie trackstar and others of the like, this is nothing in comparison to a screw set so not an issue.

just my thoughts
Old 03-27-2015, 04:08 PM
Tech Fanatic

Personally, I don't see why people care if a 'sponsored' driver races stock.

Most of the 'sponsored' drivers are just discount shoppers, with average driving skills.

I have a discount card for my local supermarket so I get better prices then some average shopper that doesn't - am I a sponsored grocery shopper? No. Do I buy groceries better then everybody else? No.

Everybody needs to stop equating "sponsored" with "expert".

You want to separate the experts from the amateurs? Then label the drivers that way. Scoring programs can race them together and score them separate. You want to keep a sponsored drivers wallet from having an advantage? Specify the brand of equipment.

A 21.5 turn motor limit just means that an expert skill level world champion like Ryan Maifield needs to run an Orion 21.5 turn motor to race in the class.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Scrubb View Post
A 21.5 turn motor limit just means that an expert skill level world champion like Ryan Maifield needs to run an Orion 21.5 turn motor to race in the class.
This may be true but I think most would agree that if it was significantly slower. lets say for example in the 17.5 class they are getting 13 to 15 laps on a 5 minute heat/race. and the slower 21.5/25.5 class was getting 10-11 laps the faster drivers would probably not be interested in this class they would simply not want to go that slow.

And BTW pretty sure Maifield has not run 17.5 in a while