Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
1/10 4wd buggy as backyard basher? >

1/10 4wd buggy as backyard basher?

1/10 4wd buggy as backyard basher?

Old 03-24-2015, 05:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default 1/10 4wd buggy as backyard basher?

I'm looking for something that I can bash around with, getting tired of the SC10. Possibly take to the track if that class picks up. I would like to be able to re-use my tenth scale electronics. Also thought about a crawler, not sure ho fun that is though.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:18 PM
Tech Adept

What kind of budget?

Hobbyking has a ton of decent basher type stuff that is priced really well. But parts support might be a bit of a challenge.

Not sure how much you could possibly bash the racer geared 4wd 10th scale buggies. But parts support of a LHS might offset that. Might also want to take a stroll through your LHS to see what kind of brands they carry parts for.
Old 03-25-2015, 08:52 PM
Tech Rookie

I am a heavy racer 2x weekly off road racing and 2x monthly 13.5 sedan racing and I still own a crawler it's I diffrent type of fun!
Instead of trying to push your car as fast as you can get it to go, it's more like go out on a hike and see where you can get you crawler to go. Diffrent type of fun but still a blast! Stay away from a race spec 4wheel buggy for bashing they are usually fairly brittle. To me when you bash stupid will happen and a 4 wheel buggy is not the type of car to get just to see how far you can jump it!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1/10 buggys are one of the most fragile of the the race cars. Depending on your esc maybe a 1/8 light would work for you. You could convert an SCTE 1.0 and run it on 2s fairly cheap.

Or just get a dedicated basher, a good basher is never going to be as good as a dedicated race car and vise versa. If you were intrested in a crawler but one something a little faster you could always get something like a twin hammers, or axial yeti rock racer type of car.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:47 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The hobbypro sb401 4wd buggy 1/10 scale, ain't a basher by any means, however I have put this thing in so many horrible crashes and it has come out clean and unbroken. It's a beast and will withstand any abuse and yet go to the track and still whip up and put you ahead of other buggys out there. But that's just my 2 cents
Old 03-25-2015, 10:24 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Do you think that's a bit expensive for bashing, splashn95? I really am!
Old 03-26-2015, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Crashing on a track is very different than crashing while bashing. Most of the new 4wd buggies are way more durable than they used to be, but they are still not going to hold up to hard bashing very well. They are also generally expensive cars to go along with needing more frequent maintenance. Also the lower ground clearance is going to limit where you can actually run a 4wd buggy.

I don't know a lot about them but I would think one of the rock racer type truck would be a much better option.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:25 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by MICmamba28 View Post
I am a heavy racer 2x weekly off road racing and 2x monthly 13.5 sedan racing and I still own a crawler it's I diffrent type of fun!
Instead of trying to push your car as fast as you can get it to go, it's more like go out on a hike and see where you can get you crawler to go. Diffrent type of fun but still a blast! Stay away from a race spec 4wheel buggy for bashing they are usually fairly brittle. To me when you bash stupid will happen and a 4 wheel buggy is not the type of car to get just to see how far you can jump it!
I'm intrigued by crawling, but I'm afraid I'll get bored of it, especially while by myself.
Old 03-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Tech Addict

How about a rally car for bushing, instead of an buggy?
Old 03-26-2015, 12:20 PM
Tech Adept

I'm really torn with what I want to do. When I have to be selective it is hard to make up my mind. Ideally I would buy a crawler, a basher, 4wd buggy, and 1/8 ebuggy . I'm afraid I'll get bored with crawling, I also get bored bashing. Which is why I would like to have something I could race with at the track, but also play around with at the house when I don't want to drive to the track. I plan on building a track in one of the fields this summer.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:27 PM
Tech Adept

I highly recommend a traxxas summit!! I kinda was in the same boat as you thinking I would get bored with crawling but it's far from it!! The summit is so versatile it can pretty much go anywhere do anything truck!! I have about 5 acres of woods behind me with a shallow creek running through it and I have yet to get sick of it!! I find myself looking at everything and wondering if the summit could climb it. Out of my fleet the summit is hands down my favorite!! It's not very fast but fast enough and you can lock the diffs and put it in low gear and dang near pull out stumps with it!! I have a 1/8 scale buggy "hyper 9e" have 1/10 4wd buggy "associated b44.2 " and have a losi mini 8 if I had to choose one I would keep the summit out of all of them!! Don't get me wrong all the cars are awesome but because the summit can go anywhere and tackle anything that's the one I would keep if I was forced to only one!! Good luck with your choice and have fun anything you choose will be a riot!!
Old 03-26-2015, 05:45 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

i would go with a 1/8th e buggy they will take a ton of abuse and if you watch you can get a used roller for the same price as a used 1/10th 4wd buggy. i have had a summit it was ok but wasnt for me i am currently making an 8E 2.0 into a rally that should make a good basher
josh
Old 03-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by josh_todd View Post
i would go with a 1/8th e buggy they will take a ton of abuse and if you watch you can get a used roller for the same price as a used 1/10th 4wd buggy. i have had a summit it was ok but wasnt for me i am currently making an 8E 2.0 into a rally that should make a good basher
josh
This... If you want a durable 4wd buggy that you are going to beat to hell, get an 8th scale.. You can pick up a RC8.2 RTR for 499.99... Gives you everything you need sans a battery.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:15 PM
Tech Adept

Yeah I really would want a 1/8th ebuggy, but I have 1/10 electronics, and for $400ish I could have a running vehicle. The only 1/8th buggy kits that I would want are $550, I just can't swing that now without being permanently sleeping on the couch.

The summit looks cool, but it's too expensive.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

if you want to race with it, check out what they have at the next track

i think 1/8 buggy are often at the local track. If you like RC really, you got to take it to a step further with 1/8 electronics and a scale bigger

what is also cool with a 1/8 buggy, you put some cheap truggy tireson it , you run on 3s instead of 4s and you got a tough 1/10 monster truck to bash. i just did it and had fun

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service