Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
MIP ball diff keeps loosening >

MIP ball diff keeps loosening

MIP ball diff keeps loosening

Old 03-24-2015, 03:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default MIP ball diff keeps loosening

I rebuilt the mip ball diff in my sc10 and it keeps coming loose. All of a sudden it's slipping so bad it is screeching. If tightened 2 or 3 times and the same thing keeps happening. It comes so loose that I can easily turn the diff sxrew before it tightens up. The diff screw is on the same side as the slipper.
Old 03-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Need a new T nut.

I would also recommend rebuilding it if it's been slipping.
Old 03-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Not sure on your car, my Losi's need the diff screw opposite the slipper, I guess it depends on the better direction of rotation.

Like was said, a new T nut, or perhaps a dab of locktite on this one, and also make sure your thrust bearing is good, clean, and rotates freely.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:05 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kevinpratt823 View Post
Not sure on your car, my Losi's need the diff screw opposite the slipper, I guess it depends on the better direction of rotation.

Like was said, a new T nut, or perhaps a dab of locktite on this one, and also make sure your thrust bearing is good, clean, and rotates freely.
Diff screw side does not matter. If it did, it would tighten it when on the right side.

Do not put loctite anywhere near your diff. If it gets internal, your diff will be trashed.

New T nut, clean and lube everything. Use the instructions on the top of this forum for break in and adjustment.
Old 03-25-2015, 12:21 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Diff screw side does not matter. If it did, it would tighten it when on the right side.
Respectfully I must disagree.

Team Associated's build instructions specifically say the adjustment screw must be on the same side as the spur gear on rear motor 3 gear transmissions and the opposite side of the spur gear on mid motor 3 gear transmissions. MIP also specifies the correct side for the adjustment screw on some of their instructions.

If it didn't matter, I don't think they would specify that.

As for your claim of "it would tighten when on the right side", not always is that the case, it would have to fight against the spring tension in order to tighten up. But if its on the wrong side, the spring tension would actually assist in loosening the diff when the car accelerated.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Fixmy59bug View Post
Respectfully I must disagree.

Team Associated's build instructions specifically say the adjustment screw must be on the same side as the spur gear on rear motor 3 gear transmissions and the opposite side of the spur gear on mid motor 3 gear transmissions. MIP also specifies the correct side for the adjustment screw on some of their instructions.

If it didn't matter, I don't think they would specify that.

As for your claim of "it would tighten when on the right side", not always is that the case, it would have to fight against the spring tension in order to tighten up. But if its on the wrong side, the spring tension would actually assist in loosening the diff when the car accelerated.
Interesting they specify a different side for the two 3 gear transmissions. Seems like if it made a difference they would be consistent. Other brands with similar diff designs specify other orientations. Some even vary by model, the Losi gas truck was opposite the electrics if I remember correctly.

Over the years I've occasionally mucked up and put both AE and Losi diffs in backwards, as has my son and others. With no issues. Have some put it in 'backwards' and had a diff loose, sure, but that happens with the 'correct' direction too. I've always assumed it was more about ease of access for adjustment.

What force or torque is causing the screw to loosen? Assuming a good lock nut and thrust bearing.

I do recommend regularly changing the diff nut, I rarely use one more than twice, and change the screw occasionally to in order to maintain a good lock.

Also I think it is wise is to always put the gears in the same way due to wear patterns, be consistent.