Wiki Posts
Search

Problem building CVA

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2015, 08:17 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Problem building CVA

I for the life of me can't get the pins back through the cva axle to put the cva back together on my sc10. I stripped everything down yesterday and hit it with brake cleaner. Now I can't get the pin through either hole, with either pin on either axle. WTF. This is frustrating I'm not sure why this won't work, also tried a solid axle pin, and nope.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:07 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjahn
I for the life of me can't get the pins back through the cva axle to put the cva back together on my sc10. I stripped everything down yesterday and hit it with brake cleaner. Now I can't get the pin through either hole, with either pin on either axle. WTF. This is frustrating I'm not sure why this won't work, also tried a solid axle pin, and nope.
Are you talking about the pin that keys into the wheel or the one that goes through the CV joint?

The one that keys into the wheel is a press fit and takes some effort.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:16 PM
Tech Adept

The cva joint. The pin that goes through cva axle into the dogbone.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Are you reusing the pins? They get a small step in them when they wear and are hard to put back together. Put new pins in and it should be fine.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:53 AM
Tech Adept

Tried new pins, got pissed and used some pliers. Almost got the pin all the way in, but couldn't get it through the second hole in the axle. Now I'm having fun trying to remove the pin. I've never had an issue like this. Can I buy just more pins, instead of an entire rebuild kit?
Old 03-22-2015, 06:48 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jjahn
Tried new pins, got pissed and used some pliers. Almost got the pin all the way in, but couldn't get it through the second hole in the axle. Now I'm having fun trying to remove the pin. I've never had an issue like this. Can I buy just more pins, instead of an entire rebuild kit?
Getting pissed isn't the answer☺️. Go to your happy place. Look for the set screw in the end of the hollow cross pin. If that's not it, then go in from the other side. Cva's are usually really easy unless something isn't right.
Old 03-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Lone Star
Getting pissed isn't the answer☺️. Go to your happy place. Look for the set screw in the end of the hollow cross pin. If that's not it, then go in from the other side. Cva's are usually really easy unless something isn't right.
Yeah they are normally really easy hence the getting pissed lol. I've tried both ways. It doesn't make sense because I didn't have trouble removing the pins for tear down and cleaning. If I have to buy a whole new cvd kit my happy place is gonna be far far away.

It's not the set screw, it's totally removed. The problem is pushing it through the axle part not the inner capture part that holds the dogbone. Having it completely disassembled just the pin and the axle, I can't get the pin through.