Wiki Posts
Search

Can I run my 4s Kyosho on 2s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 09:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Can I run my 4s Kyosho on 2s?

Hey All,

New to the hobby...yesterday was my first time spending any real amount of time outside learning how to drive my MP9e....and I was wondering..so far, what has got me into trouble was the lightning quick throttle response of the car....Ive turned down the throttle response on the transmitter, and replaced the 12t pinion gear with a 14 tooth one, but its really hard to control the car at low speeds while I am learning (Im talking walking speeds here)...I run 2 x 2S Gens Ace 4000 batteries in series in the car when i drive it.....

can I run just one of those batteries at a time to slow the car down while I am learning? will that slow the car down at all or just affect the run time? is it bad for the car and batteries? If it is bad in any way, I will just deal with it......
Old 03-12-2019, 10:35 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

what speed control is in the vehicle?
Old 03-12-2019, 12:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Yes you can, It will slow the car down, battery life will be about the same. will need to monitor motor temp to make sure your not overheating it as its going to work harder to move the heavy car. Depending on your radio it would be best to turn the throttle EPA down to limit top throttle input. What radio and speed control motor setup you have in the car?
Old 03-12-2019, 04:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Hey Guys,

I have the RTR ESC and transmitter that came with the kit...Synchro KT-331P transmitter and Team Orion Vortex R8 ESC.....I turned down the throttle response (EXP-TH?) on the transmitter per the instructions to 80% but didnt really notice any decrease in response...so I should just turn it down more? Heck, I just turned it down to 60% and Ill see if I notice the difference the next time I run it....what does "EPA" do?

Yeah, i thought that is what I read that I could overheat the motor if I just run it on 2S, so I guess I don't want to do that...
Old 03-12-2019, 04:35 PM
Tech Initiate

Sorry, I mean, I know what the EPA does for the steering of the vehicle, but what does it do for the throttle besides adjust the end points?
Old 03-12-2019, 05:06 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

Yes, If you look in the Manual pg 23, it shows the ESC at Level 2 would be set for 2 Cells (7.4V) no problems. As a note, the ESC has a Temp Protection circuit for itself, not the Motor. HW and others can also protect the Motor, when you run a sensored setup. But that does not apply here, yet wanted to make note as an FYI.

Also as previously stated keep an eye on motor temps either way, if you want to gear down a tooth on the pinion to give it a bit more power vs speed that may be a safe bet too, the Orion Neon Motor does not like to get hot, we had a driver here that burned his up...

Old 03-12-2019, 06:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by xbgen2
Sorry, I mean, I know what the EPA does for the steering of the vehicle, but what does it do for the throttle besides adjust the end points?
It does the same thing, Turning EPA down on the radio will prevent "Full Pull" on that channel. You should have an EPA adjustments for each movement of the channel IE: throttle and brake, Dual rate will adjust both at the same time. I currently run my EPA low enough to clear the jumps I need to, but no to high that the car is undriveable. I'm running 75% in my buggy. As you gain skill start to turn the EPA back up little by little.