Tekno RC EB48SL Thread >

Tekno RC EB48SL Thread

Like Tree101Likes

Tekno RC EB48SL Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Originally Posted by icekreme1002
Thanks mate but don't worry too much. My local supplier was all over it... The one he checked was 326g (listed as 334g). Maybe i just got lucky with my 4500.
I'd stick with the SMC 4500, I've been running A SL for a few years now it is the only battery I'll run due to size and performance. I found that there is such a thing as too light for a 1/8 SL buggy and ended up adding some weight via more durable heavier parts to help it settle better after jumps and bumps.
Old 11-07-2017, 08:02 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by suzukipro
I'd stick with the SMC 4500, I've been running A SL for a few years now it is the only battery I'll run due to size and performance. I found that there is such a thing as too light for a 1/8 SL buggy and ended up adding some weight via more durable heavier parts to help it settle better after jumps and bumps.
Thanks suzukipro. Very valuable information. I actually reread the entire thread last few days and there was some mention here and there about better performance with the heavier packs. At least i will be able to choose where to add the weight if the light build becomes too light. Might end up with a t8i after all.
Old 11-08-2017, 06:32 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I ran the T8i and the 4S 3600mah setup, I liked it alot, got 10 minutes on the large track here. I am looking to do a more 2S prolite setup here to see if some of the tracks will be okay with that due to 2S lipo limits and they already run 4x4 SCT so got the 4S 3600mahs up for sale, but if you like a nimble car, they are pretty nice.
Old 11-25-2017, 05:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Cain. I am going with setting up one as 2s and one as 4s.

I got a used Maclan MR4 3500kv to start my 5yr old off with in a 2s setup which with a bit of EPA and gearing adjustments should give a lot of options while he is learning.

I need help with ESC choice though if anyone can chime in with a "what i'd do is..." id appreciate your thoughts.
I currently have a RX8 gen2 and was considering a gen3 for my SL and giving my son the gen2 so i could just get a hotwire for both and be done with it. But the $$$$ ouch.
Hobbywing gets a lot of love and with the current Black Friday sales i'm considering an SCT Pro or XR8 instead.

I'm pretty sure the sct pro would be enough for him but the 3a BEC is pretty weak and i already have a Hitec HS-7955TG servo installed which apparently wants 4.2 amp at 6v lock/stall.
I do already have a CC adjustable BEC i could use though....

If was for the light build the XR8 at 10g lighter and 6a BEC already built in would be the obvious choice but i'm finding it difficult to justify the extra $ seeing the BEC seems to be the only obvious benefit between the 2 for my application.

Of course i could keep the XR8 myself and give him the RX8 gen2 too.....

What do you think guys?
Even price wise getting the XR8 isnt thaaat much cheaper than the gen3 after discounts cash back etc especially when adding the cost of having to buy 2 programming devices or a second hobbywing in the near future haha.

Cheers for any help
Old 11-25-2017, 06:11 AM
Tech Legend

go with the XR8 SCT Pro version. the BEC is much better and you get the option of using high voltage to servos. Its footprint is also very nice like the Tekin RX8 in a way.

If you do the cheaper SCT pro version, pick up a glitch capacitor right away. That in general will help with any BEC issues.
icekreme1002 and 1/8 IC Fan like this.
Old 11-26-2017, 04:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Cain. I ended up going the XR8 SCT route . With help from the never ending "smoothest I've owned" reviews I managed to convince myself the better BEC and i guess a little more future proofing/versatility was worth it. I haven't got a program device yet but will look to get the wifi soon enough as changing settings from my phone as he settles into the car would be incredibly handy.

So far this thread has put me onto Hobbywing ESC's, Maclan motors and SMC batteries. All brands id never used before. You guys should be on commission!
Old 11-26-2017, 04:48 AM
Tech Apprentice

Actually can I ask a few setup tips?
When my son was 2 I had been letting him drive an old Savage XS with the EPA turned way down which eventually led to a blown CC Mamba Max. I always assumed this was due to the sensorless motor cogging at the low speeds he was driving but never looked in to it. Is there anything I should look out for using this method to slow the Maclan 3500kv on the XR8? I will not have a program card to begin with so don't really have any other options to tame the motor for a 5yr old.

He wasn't interested in trying 4s but had reasonable control on 2s with the Tekin 1850kv and 16t pinion in a medium sized backyard. By reasonable i mean mostly square and light switch style driving but able to line up and generally control the landing on a small jump from behind it (once we learnt to release the throttle haha, yay for Tekno durability). I am hoping to start the 3500kv at a slightly higher rpm and go from there.

Any recommendations once i get the wifi for using anything other than punch and the throttle curve to tame the motor? I might add some drag brake too depending where we are but i haven't really used more than basic esc features before so figured it worth asking.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:15 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by icekreme1002
Actually can I ask a few setup tips?
When my son was 2 I had been letting him drive an old Savage XS with the EPA turned way down which eventually led to a blown CC Mamba Max. I always assumed this was due to the sensorless motor cogging at the low speeds he was driving but never looked in to it. Is there anything I should look out for using this method to slow the Maclan 3500kv on the XR8? I will not have a program card to begin with so don't really have any other options to tame the motor for a 5yr old.

He wasn't interested in trying 4s but had reasonable control on 2s with the Tekin 1850kv and 16t pinion in a medium sized backyard. By reasonable i mean mostly square and light switch style driving but able to line up and generally control the landing on a small jump from behind it (once we learnt to release the throttle haha, yay for Tekno durability). I am hoping to start the 3500kv at a slightly higher rpm and go from there.

Any recommendations once i get the wifi for using anything other than punch and the throttle curve to tame the motor? I might add some drag brake too depending where we are but i haven't really used more than basic esc features before so figured it worth asking.
I tamed the motor for my daughters SCT410.3 using the EPA Forward throttle setting as it limits the range of throttle available. The thing you watch for is them just pegging it at say full throttle range for long time as they can possibly hurt some motors.

But, heck, I do this in race conditions when I have a motor that is too powerful for the track conditions to get it into a more controllable range. Its common on say the 1/14 scale vehicles I run indoors right now as the motors are stupid powerful.
icekreme1002 likes this.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Hey guys, I bought a SL with the intention of converting it to a SCT,,

Besides the obvious Bumpers and body posts, I know I need the Hexes, stub axles and wheel nuts,, What else??

And if anyone has these parts to sell in new or excellent condition LMK

Thanks
Old 11-27-2017, 10:31 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Originally Posted by LA-2-AL
Hey guys, I bought a SL with the intention of converting it to a SCT,,

Besides the obvious Bumpers and body posts, I know I need the Hexes, stub axles and wheel nuts,, What else??

And if anyone has these parts to sell in new or excellent condition LMK

Thanks
If you're willing to run 17mm wheels like these or these from DE Racing you can save some money and just buy these hexes. They bring the width down to be SC legal.
LA-2-AL likes this.
Old 11-27-2017, 10:50 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew_Armeni
If you're willing to run 17mm wheels like these or these from DE Racing you can save some money and just buy these hexes. They bring the width down to be SC legal.
lol wish I saw these sooner, ended up ordering the axles lol.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:16 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

I went the 17mm route, that way I can still use my old buggy wheels for playing around.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Great tip,, I'm fine with using those wheels,,

Do I need the different side guards and nerf bars too?
Old 11-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (97%+)

Yeah i would definitely get the nerf bars. The air guards help but aren't needed.
Old 11-27-2017, 02:36 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

That's personal preference, I usually don't run nerf bars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.