Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
AE B4.2 RS RTR tips? >

AE B4.2 RS RTR tips?

AE B4.2 RS RTR tips?

Old 03-08-2015, 11:02 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default AE B4.2 RS RTR tips?

GF just got herself a B4.2 RS RTR to take to the track with me. She also picked up electrons front and rear, some DE Wheels (pink of course) and a proline bulldog body as well as paint for it and some lipos. Looking at the car it looks like the shocks are not all that great, uses clips instead of threaded adjusters, and the shock nuts are plastic. Does anybody have any pointers on what to change? Also the servo is dreadfully slow, going to swap that asap, probably for a Solar D770.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:21 PM
Tech Regular

What do you plan on doing with it are you gonna race it or jus run around at the track.....because all you really need to change is the shocks and the servo. And pick up some extra a arms. You can get aluminum caster blocks and steering knuckles from strc to make the front end wider for better steering. Even tho people say to stay away from that because it makes the car heavier, but i had the b4.2 kit and i put them on and i thought it improved the car. And you can also put the aluminum bell crank in it that will help, and theres a carbon fiber esc tray that bolts down over the rear of the battery so you can keep everything centralized. You can do alot to the car just all depends on what you really wanna do with it.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:28 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by sanderson373 View Post
What do you plan on doing with it are you gonna race it or jus run around at the track.....because all you really need to change is the shocks and the servo. And pick up some extra a arms. You can get aluminum caster blocks and steering knuckles from strc to make the front end wider for better steering. Even tho people say to stay away from that because it makes the car heavier, but i had the b4.2 kit and i put them on and i thought it improved the car. And you can also put the aluminum bell crank in it that will help, and theres a carbon fiber esc tray that bolts down over the rear of the battery so you can keep everything centralized. You can do alot to the car just all depends on what you really wanna do with it.
Track only car, I think she will end up racing the rookie class but I don't see this being her passion or anything.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:38 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by mvrk28 View Post
Track only car, I think she will end up racing the rookie class but I don't see this being her passion or anything.
Well just shocks, servo, bellcrank, extra a arms, and do the aluminum caster blocks and knuckles from strc and she will be fine. you might wanna get some tires. All i have ever used on any track is ribs in the front and holeshot in the rear and those are prefect for any track
Old 03-09-2015, 11:38 PM
Tech Regular

Any ideas for gearing this thing? Wanted to put the Exotek slipper eliminator on here but I need to change to kimbrough gears.

http://www.exotekracing.com/b5-b4-t4...ct-spur-mount/
Old 03-09-2015, 11:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There is nothing wrong with the stock shocks. The ride height clips make it easier for newbies to set the ride height evenly. Plastic nuts? So what?

I'm not sure what kind of track surface you run on, but I'd start with 30wt oil in front/27.5 wt in the rear. Brown front springs, green rear springs. #1 pistons all around.

If you're going to keep the RTR motor, just buy a Kimbrough gear with the same amount teeth (81 I believe).

You might also consider replacing the gear diff with a ball diff.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:54 PM
Tech Addict

The only thing I would change is the motor and esc. Get a cheap sensored set up 17.5 and the right tires for your track and that car should be gold in a rookie/ novice class. I don't think you need to make a B4.x turn any better than it already does. You could always pick up a set of shocks used at some point but you should be able get that car close right now. One thing you could do so you are not double buying springs, buy traxxas slash spring cups and retainers, 2 sets like 3 bucks each and the you will be able to run the AE big bore springs and those are noticably smoother then the old style colored springs.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:56 PM
Tech Addict

When/ if she breaks the chassis, buy the b4.2 chassis. It's the +8mm and that's a good upgrade. She has the old B4.1 chassis right now. Atleast that's what used to come with the rtr.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:04 AM
Tech Regular

Ya I was thinking about just changing to the +8 anyway, looks like a better option. Honestly though not sure how much money to dump in to it before she has enough track time. She may just run practices and that's it, but if she digs it I will probably get her a b5m or d215 if it ever launches. I appreciate all the tips guys, thanks a million.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

There are a ton of tuning options for the car, but if she is just learning, the best thing you can do is make the car as stable and controllable as possible. There is really no need even for the +8 chassis until she can get around the track consistently without crashing.