R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Beach trip - fun options? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/866191-beach-trip-fun-options.html)

Double D Donuts 03-06-2015 06:24 AM

Beach trip - fun options?

We're going on one of those drive on the beach to get to your house vacations with lots of space between us and neighbors. My dad and I are looking at getting a car to rip around on the beach with. Seems like sand tire options are fairly limited from quickly browsing a-main...do we need paddle tires? Should I stick with 4wd or 2wd? is 1/8 scale too heavy? I have a 2wd SCT at the moment. A 4wd would be fun, or maybe a 4wd buggy....but I'm looking for opinions from others who have played on the beach! I'm mostly experienced with on-road. :) Thanks!

Wanderer77 03-06-2015 06:30 AM

Last time we were in Florida, I had a ton of fun ripping around on sand with my 1/8 monster truck. Didn't need paddle tires, as the big MT tires worked great on the sand.

The down side...sand kills bearings and eats up gears. At the end of your trip plan on replacing basically every bearing in the vehicle and rebuilding all transmission/differentials to get all of the sand out.

Double D Donuts 03-06-2015 06:39 AM

Go figure, the ONLY kind of car I was trying to stick away from since no one races monster trucks! I was kind of hoping after this trip I'd get to re-purpose it for the occasional race day :sneaky:

It makes sense though with their tires and ground clearance.

Cain 03-06-2015 06:47 AM

seen vids of people doing 2wd scts with paddles, etc. and having a blast. don't see why you couldn't.

To be honest you can pretty much bash anything, its the level of fun factor you want.

I know a guy who monsters up his 1/8 buggy with larger tires, geared appropriately and has a blast. The buggy body does a good job too of keeping crap out of the vehicle.

Wanderer77 03-06-2015 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Double D Donuts (Post 13889271)
Go figure, the ONLY kind of car I was trying to stick away from since no one races monster trucks! I was kind of hoping after this trip I'd get to re-purpose it for the occasional race day :sneaky:

It makes sense though with their tires and ground clearance.

If you want to stay away from MT, and get something you could race later...I'd go with 1/8 Truggy or buggy. Put the biggest tires on it you can fit, then go have a good time.

Double D Donuts 03-06-2015 07:18 AM

it just occurred to me to go look at how some of the cars do at the beach on youtube videos.

Thanks for the help guys!

lbenton 03-06-2015 07:21 AM

Originally Posted by Wanderer77 (Post 13889256)
Last time we were in Florida, I had a ton of fun ripping around on sand with my 1/8 monster truck. Didn't need paddle tires, as the big MT tires worked great on the sand.

The down side...sand kills bearings and eats up gears. At the end of your trip plan on replacing basically every bearing in the vehicle and rebuilding all transmission/differentials to get all of the sand out.

+1 on bearings. If you plan to do this go ahead and get a kit to replace the bearings for when you are done.

I would suggest a monster truck or short course for "fun factor" good bang for the buck and as a rule more durable than 1:10 buggy.

A 1:8 buggy would be fun and tough though, just has a higher buy in than 1:10 would.

QDRHRSE 03-06-2015 07:50 AM

A slash with a velineon system and paddles is perfect. You're wasting your money if you buy something with the intent of racing it after.

Gravy Jones 03-06-2015 07:56 AM

Don't forget the salt. I wouldn't do it with anything other than a pretty cheap beater.

JP187 03-06-2015 08:43 AM

I would go on Ebay and buy a used Duratrax Evader. You can get a used roller for around $60 and put a cheap brushless system and paddles on it. There is tons of parts on Ebay for them and cheap to fix also take a good beating. I have 2 of them that we use for bashing so i dont wreck the expensive stuff.

JeepnMike 03-06-2015 08:46 AM

Depending on how old you are, a Tamiya Sand Scorcher (or any Vintage Tamiya buggy), or possibly even more fun, a new re-re- Kyosho Scorpion would be a blast...

This is what beach running is all about:

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/wp-content...ge-Buggy-2.jpg