Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Custom Tire Storage Rack Ideas??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 04:31 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Custom Tire Storage Rack Ideas??

Has anybody ever seen a tire storage rack/box for RC tires?

I want to build an RC tire storage system. This will probably include tools and spare parts storage. I'm in a welding class right now, so I am thinking this will be made of tig welded sheetmetal. I have a couple ideas of how to build a storage system, but I haven't figured out that "perfect" solution yet.

Anybody done something like this or seen someone who did? Anybody have an awesome idea?

The old "technology":

an old gym bag/duffle bag with a broken zipper that holds ~10 sets of tires total. Last season it was overflowing with 2 sets of 1/8 truggy, 4 sets of short course, 4 sets of stadium truck tires

New design requirements:

1) Must be portable--intended for home storage and for use at the track.
2) Tires are stored in "sets",
3) Sets of tires can't accidentally get mixed together
4) Any single set of tires can be accessed at any time without unloading multiple sets of tires
5) Container is convenient to use even in a cramped pit area
6) Ideally a modular system with a separate box for each size of tire, but each individual box stacks together so they function as a system (must still comply with #3 even when stacked). This way I can bring all the tires I might reasonably use without bring tires for vehicles that I am not racing that day.
7) Stores enough tires so that the "perfect" tire for a particular race doesn't get left at home due to not having enough space in the toolbox. Somewhere between 5-10 sets of each kind of tire

**please don't try to tell me that I shouldn't pursue this awesome (yet not particularly important) project. Yes, the duffle bag approach is fine for most purposes, but wouldn't it be cool to have a storage system where every set of tire is always sorted out and sitting there ready to go?