Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
17.5 cheater caught in the North East >

17.5 cheater caught in the North East

17.5 cheater caught in the North East

Old 03-04-2015, 10:26 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)
Default 17.5 cheater caught in the North East

Taken directly from Ernie Povetti and Team Trinity's facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/trincorp/ph...type=1&theater

This was spotted in tech at a race this weekend. Totally not legal in anyway at all. The magnet is ground to reduce the field and the shaft has also has had weight removed. The Tech inspector did his job and they were not allowed to be run.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 366 (100%+)

All the more reason to want our tracks to tech all cars . One guy cheating is one too many. All we ask for is to have an equal opirtunity , even if we are all on different skill levels. Cheaters suck !
Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 AM
Tech Prophet

That's the stock class for you always been like that .
Old 03-04-2015, 10:50 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The comments on the facebook page represent everything wrong with people today. People want the guys name listed publicly and banned from tracks everywhere. I'd SUE anyone that did that and would win! I don't cheat and don't condone it but the point is that inspectors are there to keep everyone fair. Find a problem and deal it, as was done here. Public shaming is criminal. Moreso than this mod.

How well did this mod work? People were talking about cheaters having an unfair advantage but was this guy dominating everyone else? I haven't see that mentioned. The work done to this is pretty poor and I'm not even sure what benefit it would give. To lighten something at the expense of perfect balance is a terrible idea on something that spins so fast. When you think about "reducing the magnetic field" doesn't that really sound funny when a motor only works due to a magnetic field? The reality is that rc electric motors from a brushless standpoint really aren't that advanced. They can be made far more efficient and can be made to easily avoid cogging without being sensored. The price would be too high to build motors like this so everyone builds them as easily as possible and then plays with gap to change rpm/torque specs. Someone modding their own motor is certainly cheating in a spec class but if they don't know what they are doing and can't do good work anyways, what's the point? A tech inspector caught it. That's their job. Make that person put a legal motor in. Problem solved. No public shaming and no resulting lawsuits required.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:08 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I'm surprised Trinity didn't turn this into an opportunity to sell their motors.

"Why be like this guy when you can buy a hand-built certified D4 and have all the power you need! And don't forget to pair it with a Revtech 100C pack for maximum performance!"
Old 03-04-2015, 11:19 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Trinity calling out cheating...
Old 03-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

Am i the only that recognize this rotor as a one from a trinity d3-d3.5-d4?? Lol
Old 03-04-2015, 11:38 AM
Tech Master

CRAP, now my secret is out! hahah
Old 03-04-2015, 12:02 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

that's the problem with any stock/spec class.there will always be cheaters.how anyone could go home at night feeling good about cheating to win is beyond me.I'd rather be in the back of the pack than feel guilty any day.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:12 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Does anyone know what this specific modification is supposed to accomplish? I wouldn't mind seeing an explanation from an electrical engineer, since those modifications look to contradict everything I've learned about the brushless motors we use in our vehicles. Any thoughts from the experts lurking about the forums?
Old 03-04-2015, 12:13 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oeoeo327 View Post
Does anyone know what this specific modification is supposed to accomplish? I wouldn't mind seeing an explanation from an electrical engineer, since those modifications look to contradict everything I've learned about the brushless motors we use in our vehicles. Any thoughts from the experts lurking about the forums?
Less magnetic field, more RPM's.

He was trying to achieve higher RPM's.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metalsoft View Post
Less magnetic field, more RPM's.

He was trying to achieve higher RPM's.
Considering the specific cuts made into the magnet, I doubt those mods were made to specifically increase RPM without some additional effect. A smaller, weaker magnet would accomplish that objective; an objective achieved legally using a high RPM tuning rotor.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 506 (100%+)

Seems like too much work for me. I don't want to win that bad. Most of the cheaters at my track are already fast so what does it matter? The slow guys that cheat are usually slower when they give themselves more power. I think tech needs to be reserved for events. At the club level its not too hard to figure out that something isn't right when week after week only one guy can clear the tripple in a stock class....or something like that. I love RC racing but its not like its NASCAR or anything. Most of us need to concentrate on having fun and not sweat this type of nonsense.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Faster does not make you faster..

The fast guys here, eat, sleep and breathe RC.. They live at the track, have piles of parts , spend hours and hours on tires, and have tried everything.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:43 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

And this is reason #2,340,249 why stock racing needs to go away!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service