Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
XB4 2015, or ZX6? >

XB4 2015, or ZX6?

XB4 2015, or ZX6?

Old 02-25-2015, 05:44 AM
Tech Rookie

Default XB4 2015, or ZX6?

I'm gonna buy a new 4wd buggy.
It stands between Xray XB4 2015, or the Kyosho ZX6.
At the risk to get 100 different answers, I wonder what are the pros and cons of the different cars.
Old 02-25-2015, 08:17 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by walste View Post
I'm gonna buy a new 4wd buggy.
It stands between Xray XB4 2015, or the Kyosho ZX6.
At the risk to get 100 different answers, I wonder what are the pros and cons of the different cars.
After racing a 2014 xb4 last year I decided to switch it up and go with a zx6 this indoor season. Ran it a few weeks and tried various setups even going to saddles to make it as good as my xray was. Ended up selling it and getting a 2015 xb4 and couldn't be happier. Both cars are top of the line in quality. The xb4 has the edge in durability. Xb4 is more tunable. Zx6 comes with ball diffs, xray gear diffs. Some like ball diffs but they take a beating on high bite with a tight slipper. Xray has center diff option, Kyosho has split slipper that you can lock out front to rear for more acceleration. Both are great cars but I prefer the xray.

Also xray has mis machined rear arm mount that can be band aided with offset inserts but xray is making a new batch to send to customers.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:13 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by rcgod View Post
After racing a 2014 xb4 last year I decided to switch it up and go with a zx6 this indoor season. Ran it a few weeks and tried various setups even going to saddles to make it as good as my xray was. Ended up selling it and getting a 2015 xb4 and couldn't be happier. Both cars are top of the line in quality. The xb4 has the edge in durability. Xb4 is more tunable. Zx6 comes with ball diffs, xray gear diffs. Some like ball diffs but they take a beating on high bite with a tight slipper. Xray has center diff option, Kyosho has split slipper that you can lock out front to rear for more acceleration. Both are great cars but I prefer the xray.

Also xray has mis machined rear arm mount that can be band aided with offset inserts but xray is making a new batch to send to customers.
Thanks alot for your answer!
Is the XB4 easier to drive than the ZX6 you think?
And how mutch do the center diff make for the car?
Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by walste View Post
Thanks alot for your answer!
Is the XB4 easier to drive than the ZX6 you think?
And how mutch do the center diff make for the car?
They're both easy to drive, but when pushing the limit the zx6 would do some stuff that I didn't like. It would push going in and loose out. Or the opposite with a setup change. The xray is like driving an on road car on dirt. Very little roll side to side and you can push as hard as you want and the car feels like it's just yawning at you, waiting for more. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bad mouthing the zx6. I'm sure a setup will fix any handling issues I had. The car is new and it will take time. The xray works everywhere except carpet with the Tyler Vik setup. Nice to not have to change the setup from track to track.

I was skeptical about the center diff. I didn't think it was needed on 1/10 buggies. But after driving the car with it I'm convinced. Makes the car that much easier to drive. I would consider it a must have.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:46 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I think the only advantage like a lot of the kyosho cars are the shocks that all other companies seem to try to replicate. We run xrays and have friends with the kyoshos and both great cars. As others have said the xray is built more like a tank and less fragile.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jmackani View Post
I think the only advantage like a lot of the kyosho cars are the shocks that all other companies seem to try to replicate. We run xrays and have friends with the kyoshos and both great cars. As others have said the xray is built more like a tank and less fragile.
True the kyosho shocks are the standard. The xray are close and even better with b5 low friction xrings. They're a little thinner so you have to use a 1mm spacer to take up the slack but the effort is worth it. No leaks and smooth as butter.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:44 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I did research on both these buggies. I was told the Kyosho was more expensive in parts and more fragile also I drove the xb4'15 and it gave me a lot of confidence driving that buggy. It handled and grab the clay extremely well.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

you did research or you were told?

Kyosho's aren't more expensive for the common parts that you'll need to replace.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:07 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Both are great cars. Get the one with parts support locally. Kyosho is around half the price for most of the plastic parts compared to xray and 1/3 for the metal parts compared to xray. The xray is more durable of course than the kyosho.

http://www.amain.com/search?cID=&s=zx6+outdrive
http://www.amain.com/xray-gear-diffe...pter-2/p247399
Old 02-25-2015, 03:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aloksatoor View Post
Both are great cars. Get the one with parts support locally. Kyosho is around half the price for most of the plastic parts compared to xray and 1/3 for the metal parts compared to xray. The xray is more durable of course than the kyosho.

http://www.amain.com/search?cID=&s=zx6+outdrive
http://www.amain.com/xray-gear-diffe...pter-2/p247399

But the initial cost of the kyosho (when bought new) is much more than the xray...

How about this...pick the one that has the best looking body for you!
At the end the day I'm sure both are great. Can't go wrong with either
Old 02-25-2015, 03:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by littleZEN View Post
But the initial cost of the kyosho (when bought new) is much more than the xray...

How about this...pick the one that has the best looking body for you!
At the end the day I'm sure both are great. Can't go wrong with either
hehe yeah. I guess from LHS maybe. Mine was from tower 579 - around 80 bucks super saver discount and had some ecash left over so was around 450 or so.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I own both a rb6 and rt6. I was undecided on these 2 wheelers as well and you would think I would have gotten the zx6. I ultimately went with the xray because of cost. I also wanted gear diffs as well so getting a zx6 plus the cost of gear diffs was just out of my reach. My LHS gave me a good deal on the xray and I pulled the trigger. A pro for the k-cars are the shocks. They are just a thing of beauty to hold and build. The xray shocks can't compare. But when in comes to maintenance the xray is by far the easiest car to work on that I have ever owned. 4 screws (and rollbar) and either diff is out. The center diff option is also a plus. I don't think the zx6 has one. Parts for the xray are indeed expensive compared to ..well...anything. Finally in regards to durability, at our track we have plenty of broken xb4s. All cars break. But by far the most durable has been the d413.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:53 PM
Tech Master

I can't speak for the Kyosho but my 2015 xb4 is very pleasant to drive and to easy work on. Access to the diffs are easy and plenty of adjustments. Parts are kind of pricey but I'm hoping they're more expensive because they don't break as often
Old 02-25-2015, 09:44 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

You should check out the XB4 thread...and search for Kyosho. They're opinionated of course...but I had one and liked it quite a bit. Other guys at my track dumped pretty much everything (associated, schumacher, durango) for the xrays...and that was for the first edition with all of the tower, diff and diff case issues
Old 02-25-2015, 10:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've driven most every major 4wd car on the market today. I've owned and still own quite a few of them. The Kyosho is a great car. It was the first "quiet wheeler" I'd ever driven. While b44s were grinding down the back straight the zx6 was silently passing them by. I was about to buy the Kyosho until I drove the Xb4. Just as quiet, just as smooth AND gear diffs? I was sold and have been more than happy with my choice.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.