Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2015, 06:52 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Question about wheels and tires

Was watching guys run at my local track last night and I noticed that almost all buggy and ST guys don't change from the dish type wheels. Is there a reason why these things come with dish wheels and stay that way? Is it personal preference or is there another reason? I.e. aerodynamics, weight, fitment limitations?
I ask cuz honestly I don't care for the dish look but if it's advantageous to keep them I'll learn to love them.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Stiffer and they keep their shape better. They also don't load up with dirt.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:21 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

^^ Pretty much that, but I do see a few people running spoked rims every once in a while for 1/10 or 1/8 buggy. You could always try something like the Proline Split Six wheels and see how you like them.
Old 02-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Tech Adept

Herd mentality, pure and simple.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:15 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gravy Jones
I can't agree with this. Dish wheels tend to be stiffer (less flex) and are often more visible, especially the classic yellow wheels. The extra visibility can really help on very wide tracks when it can get easy to "lose" your car in the back sections.

You have a valid opinion, but I don't think it's backed up by much.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:45 PM
Tech Master

I ran Jcon spoked wheels on my B4.1 (and still on my T4.1) for a long time and just recently converted it to a C4.2 with hex wheels, so I cant get spokes anymore. Some guys at the track are happy because they hated my wheels. I liked them because I can see the wheels speed in the slower sections of the track, we have a 180* turn right after a fast section so the spoke wheels allowed me to watch and see if the wheels locked up under braking and I could adjust accordingly. Not being able to watch that has affected my driving so now I put stickers on my wheels so I can still see if I am locking the wheels. Probably wouldn't work on bigger tracks, but I hardly race anywhere besides my local track.

I can also say that dish wheels are softer than the Jcon Rulux wheels. I have them for my T4, B4 and my B44 and they are siffer, which doesn't make them stronger, because flex prevents cracking. I have never broke a Rulux wheel, but I have cracked a AE weel.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Gravy Jones
Do not totally agree with the "herd mentality", but the fact that one sytle is somewhat forced on us is a big factor. Yes you can search around and find the wheel you are looking for (maybe), but most are what is mass produced and stocked at your LHS and what comes with the kits.

Personnaly I am fine with the solid wheel, spokes never appealled to me but back in the 80s you could almost find any kind of wheel (when bling was still in).
Old 02-19-2015, 07:27 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by 68pontiac
Dish wheels tend to be stiffer (less flex) and are often more visible.
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy
I ran Jcon spoked wheels for a long time. I liked them because I can see the wheels speed in the slower sections

I can also say that dish wheels are softer
Dish wheels are stiffer. Dish wheels are softer. Dish wheels easier to see. Dish wheels are harder to see.

I don't disagree that dish/spoked may have some performance differences, but it's small and I doubt many folks tune with wheels. I still suspect most folks run them because "it's what everyone else runs".

Guarantee you that if Mayfield started running some new spoked wheel, everyone at the local track would start running them as well. For no particular performance reason.

But as you say, t's just an opinion. I could be wrong. Personally I kind of dig the spokes.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 161 (100%+)

You're all wrong. Dish wheels are easier to clean, for us lazy types.
Old 02-19-2015, 08:48 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

Simple answer: they're currently the only thing available.

Prior to the Rulux's brief presence the last non-dish wheels I recall being used were the 5-spoke wheels from the Jrx-2/Pro.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I used to run the xx-4 five spoke wheels back in the day on my xxx-4 GP, but they did not hold up and cracked at the spoke wasting a tire with tread life left. After breaking three or four I went back to dish wheels and never looked back. Also the dish wheel is much easier to clean.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:58 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I like the idea of putting a marker on the dish to keep an eye on tire rotation.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:42 AM
Tech Adept

Though front weighted, my b4 often does low angle wheelies at the second half of the straight. I can see the front wheels are a centimeter or two obove the ground and still I can to some degree steer it. Not sure if it's a gyroscopic effect caused by the front wheels spinning or the dish wheels acting as wings at full lock. Quite sure it's not my imagination..
Old 02-20-2015, 08:58 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by radek
Though front weighted, my b4 often does low angle wheelies at the second half of the straight. I can see the front wheels are a centimeter or two obove the ground and still I can to some degree steer it. Not sure if it's a gyroscopic effect caused by the front wheels spinning or the dish wheels acting as wings at full lock. Quite sure it's not my imagination..
It's probably the tire expanding. When the rubber leaves the ground the tire tends to expand at high rpms. So even though the wheel appears to be off the ground there is a little of the center of the tire just touching enough for small amounts of steering. You must be flying if your off the ground in the 2nd half of the straight!
Old 02-20-2015, 09:53 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mudcat981
It's probably the tire expanding. When the rubber leaves the ground the tire tends to expand at high rpms. So even though the wheel appears to be off the ground there is a little of the center of the tire just touching enough for small amounts of steering. You must be flying if your off the ground in the 2nd half of the straight!
Could very well be. The track is (or was) a carpet track with the beginning of the straight slightly bent. Good fun gunning it and hoping for the best.