Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Question about wheels and tires >

Question about wheels and tires

Question about wheels and tires

Old 02-19-2015, 06:52 AM
  #1  
Tech Rookie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 15
Default Question about wheels and tires

Was watching guys run at my local track last night and I noticed that almost all buggy and ST guys don't change from the dish type wheels. Is there a reason why these things come with dish wheels and stay that way? Is it personal preference or is there another reason? I.e. aerodynamics, weight, fitment limitations?
I ask cuz honestly I don't care for the dish look but if it's advantageous to keep them I'll learn to love them.
Ihaveaquestion is offline  
Old 02-19-2015, 07:09 AM
  #2  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (5)
 
Hoese37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Posts: 3,819
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Stiffer and they keep their shape better. They also don't load up with dirt.
Hoese37 is offline  
Old 02-19-2015, 07:21 AM
  #3  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
bash bros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 856
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

^^ Pretty much that, but I do see a few people running spoked rims every once in a while for 1/10 or 1/8 buggy. You could always try something like the Proline Split Six wheels and see how you like them.
bash bros is offline  
Old 02-19-2015, 09:26 AM
  #4  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 232
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Herd mentality, pure and simple.
Gravy Jones is offline  
Old 02-19-2015, 03:15 PM
  #5  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (10)
 
68pontiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern Oregon
Posts: 209
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Gravy Jones View Post
Herd mentality, pure and simple.
I can't agree with this. Dish wheels tend to be stiffer (less flex) and are often more visible, especially the classic yellow wheels. The extra visibility can really help on very wide tracks when it can get easy to "lose" your car in the back sections.

You have a valid opinion, but I don't think it's backed up by much.
68pontiac is offline  
Old 02-19-2015, 03:45 PM
  #6  
Tech Master
iTrader: (5)
 
1/4milecrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: North Jersey
Posts: 1,187
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

I ran Jcon spoked wheels on my B4.1 (and still on my T4.1) for a long time and just recently converted it to a C4.2 with hex wheels, so I cant get spokes anymore. Some guys at the track are happy because they hated my wheels. I liked them because I can see the wheels speed in the slower sections of the track, we have a 180* turn right after a fast section so the spoke wheels allowed me to watch and see if the wheels locked up under braking and I could adjust accordingly. Not being able to watch that has affected my driving so now I put stickers on my wheels so I can still see if I am locking the wheels. Probably wouldn't work on bigger tracks, but I hardly race anywhere besides my local track.

I can also say that dish wheels are softer than the Jcon Rulux wheels. I have them for my T4, B4 and my B44 and they are siffer, which doesn't make them stronger, because flex prevents cracking. I have never broke a Rulux wheel, but I have cracked a AE weel.
1/4milecrazy is offline  
Old 02-19-2015, 03:55 PM
  #7  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Mudcat981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hanford, Ca
Posts: 803
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Gravy Jones View Post
Herd mentality, pure and simple.
Do not totally agree with the "herd mentality", but the fact that one sytle is somewhat forced on us is a big factor. Yes you can search around and find the wheel you are looking for (maybe), but most are what is mass produced and stocked at your LHS and what comes with the kits.

Personnaly I am fine with the solid wheel, spokes never appealled to me but back in the 80s you could almost find any kind of wheel (when bling was still in).
Mudcat981 is offline  
Old 02-19-2015, 07:27 PM
  #8  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 232
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by 68pontiac View Post
Dish wheels tend to be stiffer (less flex) and are often more visible.
Originally Posted by 1/4milecrazy View Post
I ran Jcon spoked wheels for a long time. I liked them because I can see the wheels speed in the slower sections

I can also say that dish wheels are softer
Dish wheels are stiffer. Dish wheels are softer. Dish wheels easier to see. Dish wheels are harder to see.

I don't disagree that dish/spoked may have some performance differences, but it's small and I doubt many folks tune with wheels. I still suspect most folks run them because "it's what everyone else runs".

Guarantee you that if Mayfield started running some new spoked wheel, everyone at the local track would start running them as well. For no particular performance reason.

But as you say, t's just an opinion. I could be wrong. Personally I kind of dig the spokes.
Gravy Jones is offline  
Old 02-19-2015, 08:40 PM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (160)
 
LasagnaCat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Hickory Hills, IL
Posts: 2,244
Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)
Default

You're all wrong. Dish wheels are easier to clean, for us lazy types.
LasagnaCat is offline  
Old 02-19-2015, 08:48 PM
  #10  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (85)
 
Davidka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,810
Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)
Default

Simple answer: they're currently the only thing available.

Prior to the Rulux's brief presence the last non-dish wheels I recall being used were the 5-spoke wheels from the Jrx-2/Pro.
Davidka is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 04:35 AM
  #11  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (1)
 
JR V's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NH
Posts: 220
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I used to run the xx-4 five spoke wheels back in the day on my xxx-4 GP, but they did not hold up and cracked at the spoke wasting a tire with tread life left. After breaking three or four I went back to dish wheels and never looked back. Also the dish wheel is much easier to clean.
JR V is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 04:58 AM
  #12  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (3)
 
Chuckie17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Bennington, NE
Posts: 106
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

I like the idea of putting a marker on the dish to keep an eye on tire rotation.
Chuckie17 is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 05:42 AM
  #13  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 101
Default

Though front weighted, my b4 often does low angle wheelies at the second half of the straight. I can see the front wheels are a centimeter or two obove the ground and still I can to some degree steer it. Not sure if it's a gyroscopic effect caused by the front wheels spinning or the dish wheels acting as wings at full lock. Quite sure it's not my imagination..
radek is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 08:58 AM
  #14  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (4)
 
Mudcat981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hanford, Ca
Posts: 803
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by radek View Post
Though front weighted, my b4 often does low angle wheelies at the second half of the straight. I can see the front wheels are a centimeter or two obove the ground and still I can to some degree steer it. Not sure if it's a gyroscopic effect caused by the front wheels spinning or the dish wheels acting as wings at full lock. Quite sure it's not my imagination..
It's probably the tire expanding. When the rubber leaves the ground the tire tends to expand at high rpms. So even though the wheel appears to be off the ground there is a little of the center of the tire just touching enough for small amounts of steering. You must be flying if your off the ground in the 2nd half of the straight!
Mudcat981 is offline  
Old 02-20-2015, 09:53 AM
  #15  
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sweden
Posts: 101
Default

Originally Posted by Mudcat981 View Post
It's probably the tire expanding. When the rubber leaves the ground the tire tends to expand at high rpms. So even though the wheel appears to be off the ground there is a little of the center of the tire just touching enough for small amounts of steering. You must be flying if your off the ground in the 2nd half of the straight!
Could very well be. The track is (or was) a carpet track with the beginning of the straight slightly bent. Good fun gunning it and hoping for the best.
radek is offline  

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.