Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
I'm old and I only know about Team Associated >

I'm old and I only know about Team Associated

I'm old and I only know about Team Associated

Old 02-15-2015, 03:19 PM
Tech Rookie

Default I'm old and I only know about Team Associated

I'm of the age group that got an original RC10 back as a first year college student. Still have it. Updated it to brushless/lipo/2.4ghz, and finishing updating it to 1994 specs, which are the latest updates that fit that chassis. i'll probably race it a little and teach my daughter to race with it. updating and upgrading has been an easy experience because Team Associated is very organized with respect to keeping part numbers up to date and having manuals with part numbers available online. so now that i'm interested in 1/8 electric buggies, if i "go with what i know", i would get a Team Associated RC8.2e...

BUT...

Every little bit of info I come across seems to indicate that TA's buggies are not as competitive as some other brands, like Mugen or Serpent, which surprises me because 1/8 buggies as a whole seem so well developed that they all more or less look alike. I can only assume that Serpent and Mugen gain their superiority by being more cohesive with "the little stuff" that adds up to a faster package on the track. so now my question...Since Mugen and Serpent (and I'm sure I'm leaving out others), are pretty well accepted to be more competitive on the race track than TA's RC8.2e, are they at least equally well supported with spare parts and current, up-to-date online manuals and such?

-Peter

Last edited by pcrussell50; 02-12-2016 at 01:08 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

It does seem as though Team Associated has let their 1/8 program go by the way side. I don't know much about the serpent vehicles. I race a TLR 8ight E 3.0 and really like it. The guys at my local track said I should go with Mugen because of how tough they are. Mugens have a great reputation and it seems like they have good product support from what my fellow racers tell me. For me it was a toss up between the TLR and the Mugen and I went with the TLR because of how much support and setup sheets there were with that car. TLR has a huge racing program so they have lots of help. In hind sight, I would have gone with the Tekno EB48.2. Tekno seems to get a ton of positive feedback from the forums with only minor complaints. Plus they support Military with very good discounts and that means a lot to me. I recently ordered a Tekno ET48 and can't wait to get it. A lot of people say to buy whatever your local hobby shop supports so you will always have parts on hand. I don't have a local hobby shop so that's not a worry for me. I order everything online. I hope this helps a little. Best of luck with whatever car you choose to go with!
Old 02-15-2015, 05:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The new AE 8th scale will be out this year. Nitro version first of course then electric.
Old 02-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by pcrussell50 View Post
I'm of the age group that got an original RC10 back in 1986 as a first year college student. Still have it. Updated it to brushless/lipo/2.4ghz, and finishing updating it to 1994 specs, which are the latest updates that fit that chassis. i'll probably race it a little and teach my daughter to race with it. updating and upgrading has been an easy experience because Team Associated is very organized with respect to keeping part numbers up to date and having manuals with part numbers available online. so now that i'm interested in 1/8 electric buggies, if i "go with what i know", i would get a Team Associated RC8.2e...

BUT...

Every little bit of info I come across seems to indicate that TA's buggies are not as competitive as some other brands, like Mugen or Serpent, which surprises me because 1/8 buggies as a whole seem so well developed that they all more or less look alike. I can only assume that Serpent and Mugen gain their superiority by being more cohesive with "the little stuff" that adds up to a faster package on the track. so now my question...Since Mugen and Serpent (and I'm sure I'm leaving out others), are pretty well accepted to be more competitive on the race track than TA's RC8.2e, are they at least equally well supported with spare parts and current, up-to-date online manuals and such?

-Peter
I'm in the same boat as you are (old) I have recently have gotten back into rc racing also. Had a Te 1/8 nitro a few years back, that was fun (back yard bashing) but since that I am starting to run 1/10 4wd buggy's indoors.I have always been a big fan of Te cars.But when I got back in to it,I saw Te stuff getting worse,always breaking !! so I decided to go with another brand that is not sold in any local hobby shops in my area (internet) Just me, but if I owned a hobby shop with or with out a track, I would differently sell and promote Te..
Old 02-15-2015, 05:22 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

The serpent buggy is great, and probably the most durable
Old 02-15-2015, 05:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I'm right at 60 and know the feeling all too well. But while AE hasn't been on the bleeding edge so to speak, it's more like so many others have stepped up really big time. They're dumping way more into R&D while AE has been relying on the pro drivers to make them look good. They still build a good buggy and the 10th scale stuff they're putting out shows. They just shouldn't be too confident if they want to stay competitive. I think Losi learned that a little sooner, while they still have deep pockets,lol
Old 02-15-2015, 05:38 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am young and only know about Tekno..LOL Get a tekno and dont look back.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sickpuppy1 View Post
I'm right at 60 and know the feeling all too well. But while AE hasn't been on the bleeding edge so to speak, it's more like so many others have stepped up really big time. They're dumping way more into R&D while AE has been relying on the pro drivers to make them look good. They still build a good buggy and the 10th scale stuff they're putting out shows. They just shouldn't be too confident if they want to stay competitive. I think Losi learned that a little sooner, while they still have deep pockets,lol
I agree, money does talk..The 1/10 scale AE are very fragile,good design yes,,but the parts are cheap (break). for example,last night 10 cars in the A-mian 2wd buggy (mod) 7 were bm5 and 3 losi,,at the end 3 cars finished, 2 losi and 1 ae, like I said, I see this day after day ?....also I have seen guys buying Kits from ae and half way though the build, they have the wrong parts ? I have always been a big supporter of AE back in the day,but I have gone else where...sad !
Old 02-15-2015, 06:35 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have a Tekno eb48.2 and love it however most the people I race against drive the Mugen mbx7 eco. One of the fast guys does drive an Associated and it can compete but it would be interesting to see how he would do with a Mugen or Tekno. Durability wise if your having an issue breaking parts on an 1/8 buggy I would say quit doing kartwheels and hitting solid objects. I would recommend the eb48.2 or the the Mugen mbx7 cant go wrong with either. Though a lot of Mugen guys say the Tekno is "twitchy" which I call responsive. Both cars are equally fast and of the same quality the rest is personal preference.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

There are photos of the new AE 1/8 buggy on neobuggy.net. it is very nearly a Mugen MBX-7.

If AE has good part support in your area, the 8.2e is a really good buggy. Don't let the internet banter scare you off. This is coming from an early days guy like you who owns a mugen.
Old 02-15-2015, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 98redd View Post
I agree, money does talk..The 1/10 scale AE are very fragile,good design yes,,but the parts are cheap (break). for example,last night 10 cars in the A-mian 2wd buggy (mod) 7 were bm5 and 3 losi,,at the end 3 cars finished, 2 losi and 1 ae, like I said, I see this day after day ?....also I have seen guys buying Kits from ae and half way though the build, they have the wrong parts ? I have always been a big supporter of AE back in the day,but I have gone else where...sad !
That has nothing to do with manufacturer. Just a bunch of crashes. Our wheeler class today had 2 AEs, and 2 Schumachers. both AEs finished, although one with only 3wd from a popped out CVD and the Schumacher finished on 3 wheels with one hanging on for dear life. Our Friday wheeler class is highly mixed with AE, Durango, Kyosho, Schumacher, Losi and even an HB. AE being the most popular. Same big mix up in mod buggy, but AE totally DOMINATES the 17.5 buggy class. 2/3 of the field is AE, throw a TLR or two in there with a Kyosho and a couple cats. 2wd SCT is mostly TLR and AE and of course stadium truck is exclusively AE.

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
There are photos of the new AE 1/8 buggy on neobuggy.net. it is very nearly a Mugen MBX-7.

If AE has good part support in your area, the 8.2e is a really good buggy. Don't let the internet banter scare you off. This is coming from an early days guy like you who owns a mugen.
Stick with whatever brand is supported by your LHS. Buy from your LHS, ESPECIALLY if that is where you race. If they stock TLR parts mostly, go with TLR, if they stock AE parts, go AE. I do not race 1/8th scale yet, I will this year. I will be doing a few upgrades to my AE RC8.2e RTR and will race the wheels off of it. The car will NOT be the reason I do not win any races.
Old 02-15-2015, 08:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I'm also an AE fan and been in racing for a while now. The RC10 got me hooked but back in the mid 90's I could not afford one. Today I race an RC8.2e now whatever negative was said about this buggy I never experienced it. Sure all buggies need a little tweaking and the RC8.2e is no exception I've been racing this buggy for two years and when I started in 1/8 I was not very good (buggy was fast and I was not a great driver) the buggy is very durable I hit a pole at our track head on at full speed I was so scared at that moment that I tough the buggy was totaled but to my surprise the only damage on the buggy was stripped front bumper screws and A arm hinge pins missing other then that the buggy was fine. I had some parts with me and some of the guys also helped me out with some screws and I was back to racing. I always take care of the buggy never bash it. As a racer I would recommend this buggy to anybody that likes AE.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:00 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I've recently owned a Losi 8ight e 3.0 and have recently sold it and bought a Tekno EB48.2 and as far as build quality goes, I'd say the Tekno far surpasses TLR in build quality. The Teknos I've drove have been hit or miss BUT it also comes down to maintenance and tune ability. The one Tekno I have drove that was set up correctly was the best Ebuggy I've personally drove and I liked it so much I went out and bought one. Each buggy has its characteristics and seems to suit certain type of drivers. Best bet is to go to your local track and see if you can drive several buggies. Usually as long as you respect their buggy and don't "drive it like you stole it" most will let you take their buggy around the track for a few laps. Also look at your local tracks part supply and what it caters to most. Doesn't do you any good to have the best buggy in the world if you can't fix it due to part support.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:29 AM
Tech Adept

My last buggy was the original RC10 that i bought and ran at Ranch Pit Shop in Pomona CA nearly 30 years ago... Few weeks ago I got a Tekno EB 48.2 and enjoyed it very much. It is a marvelous car in terms of quality, build and run.

Sadly I could not say the same about AE cars now...I got a RC 10 Worlds and a B44.3 together with the tekno, and I felt the quality of current AE kits is not quite near to the level when they were being made stateside...my buddy who work at the TT China factory would have a earful of my complains later
Old 02-16-2015, 06:43 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blackshark3 View Post
My last buggy was the original RC10 that i bought and ran at Ranch Pit Shop in Pomona CA nearly 30 years ago... Few weeks ago I got a Tekno EB 48.2 and enjoyed it very much. It is a marvelous car in terms of quality, build and run.

Sadly I could not say the same about AE cars now...I got a RC 10 Worlds and a B44.3 together with the tekno, and I felt the quality of current AE kits is not quite near to the level when they were being made stateside...my buddy who work at the TT China factory would have a earful of my complains later
You have 2 of the worst AE cars to compare. The worlds car is known to have build issues. The 44.3 is still just a oversized TC3 that has been updated and redone. AE will even tell you the B44 line is just a Tc3 that as been converted by Jconcepts long ago. Doesn't mean I dont like mine, I love it, but it is far from one of the best kits built by AE.
Not taking away from Tekno, I know their SCTs are tough as nails so I would expect the same from their buggies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.