Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Best budget high performance servo for 2wd buggy?? >

Best budget high performance servo for 2wd buggy??

Like Tree2Likes

Best budget high performance servo for 2wd buggy??

Old 02-14-2015, 08:57 AM
Tech Master

I run spektrum 6040. Can't beat it for the price and haven't had one fail yet.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:00 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Enzo, I run the savox, 1258. Which I hear is the same as the spektrum 6040. Have had it for 2 years and never gave me a problem.
Savox servos destroy lipos, they suck up to much power and sometimes lead to freezing, for example....I'm going around the track and then everyone lines up for the main...and I left my car sit, and when the announcer says less then 5, and I twich my steering to make sure we are good and set, I have no feedback...as if I ad turned the car on, I got into panic mode and twitch the steering even more then everything kicks on again, deffinitly not good, the servo was a 1257tg, and thats what made me stop using savox.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by cokemaster View Post
If you are on a budget, I have two of these in my 2wd 1/10 buggies. 1 year old - no problems.
Solar Servo D771
http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d771.html

Futaba has always been my favorite servo:
Futaba S9452
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXRWS9&P=8
Your headline says Budget servo, I dont consider $50 to $100 to be budget.
I have the Solor servo d771 also and ive been running it for almost a year with no problems. Very fast and Nice Torque, its a little noisy but for $20 what do you expect. Worth the $20 Bucks!!
Old 02-14-2015, 09:34 AM
Tech Master

true but I think to get a decent servo that will last years to come you're going to be in the 50-100 dollar range . No sense of buying something cheap only to have to buy again. Just buy something good the first time and be done with it.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Tower Hobbies TS-140 - Digital Standard HS Servo has been in my B4 buggy since around 2006, and only had to replace gears once in 6 years. I'm so glad I gave Tower Hobbies (Hitec) TS-140 servo a try, and I will be putting them in all my buggies.

Hitec HS-5625MG (same asTower Hobbies TS-160) Digital Standard HT HS High Speed Servo for my 1/10 scale ST/SC trucks. I use them for the same reasons as the servo that's in my buggy. I think they have a great balance of torque/speed for price. Sure you can find faster and stronger servos, but then the price ramps up as well.

Last edited by rustyus; 02-14-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tony montana View Post
Enzo, I run the savox, 1258. Which I hear is the same as the spektrum 6040. Have had it for 2 years and never gave me a problem.
We've had futaba, JR, and Airtronics servos with equivalent output figures running on far less powerful power sources in prior decades and then Savox becomes immediately popular and the glitch buster caps become popular with them. I still see many using them without troubles but the discussion is too frequent and consistent to ignore IMO.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Xp digital 1015

Tough as hell and perfect for all 10th applications.

My new Reedy servos are on the way! Excited to try em!
Old 02-14-2015, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

I got a Solar D771, and a couple of their low profile servos, to run in some boats. I plugged the D771 in to check it out and there is no way that thing has the torque they say it does. I could stop a servo horn easily with my fingers.
Old 02-14-2015, 12:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Low profile- Xpert 3431, mine has been fantastic and try to beat the price for a brushless low profile.
Full size- Spektrum 6040, ran them in many things including 4wd corr, 2wd corr, stadium truck, and 2wd buggy. Can't go wrong with one. Some say they're the "same servo as a Savox 1258", but I'm not totally convinced. The specs are listed as the same, but I have yet to hear of the Spektrum causing the many glitching/brown out issues associated with the Savox. Not trying to start a fight here, just making a point. Before anyone asks, I DO run Spektrum radio gear and have run it in combination with Mamba Max Pro escs and have yet to have a single glitching issue with any servo I've used (Hitec, JR, Airtronics, Orion, Spektrum, Xpert, Protek, Radiopost, Futaba).
Old 02-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka View Post
Glitching and grey-outs with some radios, mostly spektrum. They're known to be pretty inefficient.

I had a spectrum tx/rx and a cheap losi servo glitched constantly. I bought an Airtronics M4 tx/rx and the Savox 1257 & 1258 no more glitch and spot on response. I don't believe it was the servo. But I also upgraded my esc, which could have been the real problem.

but I really don't believe the savox servo is the issue to many people run it with no issues. but hey its electronics, who knows it's FM.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 85 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mudcat981 View Post
I had a spectrum tx/rx and a cheap losi servo glitched constantly. I bought an Airtronics M4 tx/rx and the Savox 1257 & 1258 no more glitch and spot on response. I don't believe it was the servo. But I also upgraded my esc, which could have been the real problem.

but I really don't believe the savox servo is the issue to many people run it with no issues. but hey its electronics, who knows it's FM.
I have used spectrum since it came out with Futaba, Airtronics, JR and Hitec servos and have never had servo/glitcjing issues.

Most of the issues I have heard of occurred with spektrum so it would seem that brand is more susceptible to the problem but still, the problem seems to go away with the change to any other brand of servo.

Savox is obviously popular. They have good numbers, cool ano-orange and lower prices than premium brands. If they're working for you, great! As a Spektrum user, they are not a viable choice for me.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:29 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've always ran Spektrum 6040s and when I get my B5M lite im going to try the Spektrum S6070. I've always used spektrum for radios and servos. Top quality stuff.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

From what I understand, the brown out issues with Spektrum/Savox is because the Spektrum RX's will not operate at quite as low a voltage as many others, and the Savox servos have been tested and shown to draw more current than other brands, causing more of a voltage sag and hence the brown out. Personally, I have at least 13 Savox servos, but after some less desirable experiences with their customer/product support I stopped buying them. IMO there are better options out there.
Old 02-14-2015, 03:46 PM
Tech Master

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Xpert low pro servos running fine for more than a year on both 2wd buggy and 4wd nitro onroad
Old 02-14-2015, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

What are your choices for better servos? I'm curious as I started racing again after 25 years. I have savox now, but could look around.

Originally Posted by kevinpratt823 View Post
From what I understand, the brown out issues with Spektrum/Savox is because the Spektrum RX's will not operate at quite as low a voltage as many others, and the Savox servos have been tested and shown to draw more current than other brands, causing more of a voltage sag and hence the brown out. Personally, I have at least 13 Savox servos, but after some less desirable experiences with their customer/product support I stopped buying them. IMO there are better options out there.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.