Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
need a new ride possibilities for a decoy >

need a new ride possibilities for a decoy

need a new ride possibilities for a decoy

Old 02-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Default need a new ride possibilities for a decoy

Hey guys, I've had a few heavily modified r/c's and my buddy is looking into modifying an RC tuck to fit a turkey decoy on for hunting season coming up. He has started a prototype, just an old $30 wal mart car and fixed his decoy to it. He claims it worked and now wants something better.

So I'm thinking maybe a trail truck or crawler, probably rtr. He needs 4x4, waterproof, low speeds and lots of torque. So its not asking a whole lot and seems feasible. He said it also took the shocks of that car since it caused the decoy to fall off.

So any creative minds can suggest a vehicle for me to help him with or and any other ideas thanks!!

I posted this in the crawler section but figured maybe it doesn't have to be a crawler, maybe another vehicle?

This is what he has already.

Old 02-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Tech Regular

Old 02-11-2015, 11:28 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Traxxas summit would be perfect!! Waterproof and go through anything!! Only downside is it is BIG and is costly but it would be a perfect truck for what he wants!!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 AM
Tech Master

i don't have an answer but just wanted to say that's a badass idea!

edit: I'm assuming noise could be a factor?
Old 02-11-2015, 11:32 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Axial wraith?
Old 02-11-2015, 12:00 PM
Tech Regular

Factors to consider would be noise, size, waterproof and this thing doesn't need to be indestructible. That cheap car he has isn't too too loud so I figured maybe a brushed setup or sensored setup. It would need loads of torque over speed. It doesn't need to be huge. I was looking into several axial models and then thought maybe a 4x4 pede but again size. Cost isn't a huge deal but again doesnt need to be the best thing ever.

I don't know if a trail ready truck chassis would be good or a flat chassis. I've got a flm Maxx and considered letting him use it but its just toooo friggin big.

He's terrain would be open fields, trails ( so some obstacles but nothing huge) and maybe some tall grass but again with in reason. He also told me ha had to remove the shocks on that cheap car, claimed it would tip over. Might not have that problem with a hobby grade RC but something to consider. Its not a hard task but a decision on what the best vehicle for the job lol.
Old 02-11-2015, 01:01 PM
Tech Adept

I still vote summit but it is big!! It does have a ton of torque though!! You could also check out a traxxas telluride it's 4x4 has a brushed motor and waterproof!! Got one for my son for Christmas but haven't really had the chance to take it out in the woods yet but heard they hold their own!! Have your buddy look at videos on YouTube!! That way he can see for himself what kind of terrain these things can go through he will also be able to listen if the motors will be quiet enough!! Just warn him that if he gets a high grade rc to be prepared to give up turkey hunting because he will be driving all over instead of hunting!!
Old 02-11-2015, 01:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

I say Axial AX-10, its cheaper than the Wraith and less top-heavy which is important with that decoy mounted on top. While the Summit is cool, it is much bigger and requires 2 battery packs which adds to the cost plus it can't match the 3+ hours of run time the Axial will get on a cheap 5000mah pack.
Old 02-11-2015, 03:02 PM
Tech Fanatic

The nitro motor would give it away :-)
Old 02-11-2015, 03:48 PM
Tech Apprentice

That is so cool! Makes me want to go hunting again. Anyways, consider any of the axial crawlers?
Old 02-12-2015, 04:40 AM
Tech Regular

The summit would be awesome, but price and the huge size of it, I just don't think it would be the better choice. I've considered the axial models, I just don't know we should go with. I was thinking along the lines of the scx -10 chassis at least. Its been a proven platform.....but ya I'll have him look up some vids on YouTube. Might just help.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Very cool idea. You'll have to get a video of it in the field bringing in some Tom's!
Old 02-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Tech Regular

Alright looks like we have settled for the axial yeti 1/10. I'm curious if we can change the motor over to have more torque. (1) Maybe a sensored brushless setup or switch to a brushed setup?? He said the rig that would have the decoy to be attached is maybe a pound or so. I think it would be okay, it's doesn't need to hual ass lol. (2) Could we also lock the rear diff possibly?? (3)What is the lowest gear ratio we could run the yet? He also wants it to be rather stiff on the suspension, so I'm thinking some thicker wt fluid and go from there. We also need to keep this thing waterproof with the esc