Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should slicks be outlawed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I ran my panther slicks at the track last wednesday, it was glorious. freshly watered and slick as snot for the guys running electrons and dirt webs. I had more than enough traction.

I'm all for allowing slicks.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I love AKA red foams when new, but after 3 weekends, they dont feel good anymore.
I don't like aka foams till they have 15-20 packs on them, myself. I find that the PL foams are great out of the package but blow out after a few race weekends.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:54 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by onefast8
I don't like aka foams till they have 15-20 packs on them, myself. I find that the PL foams are great out of the package but blow out after a few race weekends.
I want to try dirt techs in the future. Yeah, the aka take a few packs to break in. 2 weeks ago it took about 6-7 packs at SRS to make mine better.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:56 AM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I thought this was a thread about.....oh look a butterfly

Old 02-02-2015, 11:57 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

lol, all threads eventually derail, lol.
Old 02-02-2015, 02:23 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

The author did a terrible job of trying to convince me why slicks should be banned. Really lazy writing...
Old 02-02-2015, 02:33 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
The author did a terrible job of trying to convince me why slicks should be banned. Really lazy writing...
I agree, people keep saying its a great article but it's poorly written and doesn't really back up what the article is supposed to be about.
Old 02-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

I'm not For or Against slicks, with that said my track runs slicks. If I want to be competitive I run that tire, if I go down to the track 30 miles from me I'll probably run treads. I'm going to run whatever is going to give me the best chance of being up front. I honestly think that I have learned a lot about setup running slicks. With the consistency of knowing a slick tire works I have had to learn about spring rates, oils, shock positions, and camber link adjustments. All of that translates into my understanding of my cars even if I go to the track that runs treads. In my opinion I have become a better driver learning how to work on a "twitchy" slick tire running car.
Old 02-02-2015, 04:32 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Slicks are amazing... for a newer racer begging for grip I think slicks are great. I have no reasoning whatsoever for this statement, but, I would rather learn with slicks and "too much" grip, than on anything else with no grip at all. At least with a bunch of grip you can point the car strait and pull trigger
Old 02-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mattkore
Slicks are amazing... for a newer racer begging for grip I think slicks are great. I have no reasoning whatsoever for this statement, but, I would rather learn with slicks and "too much" grip, than on anything else with no grip at all. At least with a bunch of grip you can point the car strait and pull trigger
I agree. Plus if you don't like them, don't use them. The goal is to be fast right?
Old 02-02-2015, 05:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)
Default Banning slicks

Let's ban slicks because we want to spend $40 on tires that last 1 race day. Let's also ban lipo packs because replacing nimh packs after several months was great. I don't like the brushless motors either because they leave me too much free time on race day and I enjoy changing brushes and truing coms every 4 runs.

Bring back the old days!!!!! The discharge trays, com truers, soldering irons, boxes of brushes and all of the other junk races needed sure brought in lots of new racers.

If your track is abrasive and wears tires, and slicks work, thank the owners every race day for allowing them. They just saved you $40 per race day.

I realize that for the serious sponsored racers $40 is peanuts (since it cost them $22 with their sponsorship discount) and they enjoy spending $4 per run on tires (comes out to $40 per hour of running,) but can't they think of all the lowly unsponsored racers?

The only negative to running slicks is that your money stays in your wallet, which is bad for those that want to get more of it.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:03 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by billjacobs
Let's ban slicks because we want to spend $40 on tires that last 1 race day. Let's also ban lipo packs because replacing nimh packs after several months was great. I don't like the brushless motors either because they leave me too much free time on race day and I enjoy changing brushes and truing coms every 4 runs.

Bring back the old days!!!!! The discharge trays, com truers, soldering irons, boxes of brushes and all of the other junk races needed sure brought in lots of new racers.

If your track is abrasive and wears tires, and slicks work, thank the owners every race day for allowing them. They just saved you $40 per race day.

I realize that for the serious sponsored racers $40 is peanuts (since it cost them $22 with their sponsorship discount) and they enjoy spending $4 per run on tires (comes out to $40 per hour of running,) but can't they think of all the lowly
unsponsored racers?

The only negative to running slicks is that your money stays in your wallet, which is bad for those that want to get more of it.

Well put Bill
Old 02-02-2015, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

I ran at a track years ago and all we used were slicks. I thought it was nice because you could run two sets of tires all winter and be competitive. Now at the track I run at now a set of ions lasts 3 weeks maybe and no one can seem to find a better tire that works there.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:11 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

I'm against slicks simply because it just doesn't feel like off-road to me anymore. Just go carpet and call it a day.
Old 02-03-2015, 12:17 PM
Tech Champion

jumping doesn't feel like off-road? I mean I can still get my off-road vehicle to bicycle, wheelie, break loose and even power slide corners.. with slicks. So what's different? dirt flying all over the place requiring a bunch of maintenance between rounds? Please explain to me/us how it's not off-road?

Don't mistake this as any sort of attack. I have an epic branded car carrying bag of tires for treaded outdoor use.. that's a lot of flippin tires.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.