Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree12Likes

New Schumacher KF2

Hide Wikipost
Old 07-29-2016, 08:27 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: New Schumacher KF2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: MelKF2
Welcome to the KF2 Wiki!

Please feel free to add any Tips, Tricks, or anything that would be beneficial to the KF2 Family

Introduction and Pictures Introduction and Pictures

ElectronicsSetupElectronicsSetups

Setup SheetsSetup Sheets

EmulsionShocksEmulsion Shocks

Tony Newland Gear Diff BuildTony Newland Gear Diff Build

Suggested Gearing

17.5 I ran 69/31 at SRS Scottsdale Arizona and 72/30 at MHOR Aurora Co and Full Throttle ALB, NM RCM lockout worked excellent!

MIP pucks excellent upgrade! The new RCM lockout is an excellent piece as well! These options will greatly reduce weight throughout the drive line!

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 08:13 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by motorcitymatt
Or if you are really bored you can try something like this:

http://www.petitrc.com/_forumphp/sho...-SF-by-oliv996

I call it "Franken-Cougar"
Originally Posted by Jpdanger
That looks awesome!

+1 ... looks fantastic..!

..p
Old 05-17-2015, 07:35 PM
Tech Regular

Getting close on making it work in the dirt. Short wheel base, aluminum upper trans housing, shocks to the rear of the arms, aluminum rear strap. Rear link to outboard hole on hub carrier to lengthen rear tie rods. This put weight distribution at 60% rear, 40% front.

Ball diff installed, 30w in rear shocks, 32.5 w in front. Dropped punch down on ESC to 60, with throttle ferq set to smoothest setting (viper VTX 10R).

Still a bit loose coming out of the cornor but better then it was originally. Will try lengthening rear links a bit more to see if I can get a bit more roll in the suspension.

Also going to see if/where I can add a bit of weight to the rear to see if I can get the weight distribution to something around 62/38
Old 05-17-2015, 08:25 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Riverbluff
Getting close on making it work in the dirt. Short wheel base, aluminum upper trans housing, shocks to the rear of the arms, aluminum rear strap. Rear link to outboard hole on hub carrier to lengthen rear tie rods. This put weight distribution at 60% rear, 40% front.

Ball diff installed, 30w in rear shocks, 32.5 w in front. Dropped punch down on ESC to 60, with throttle ferq set to smoothest setting (viper VTX 10R).

Still a bit loose coming out of the cornor but better then it was originally. Will try lengthening rear links a bit more to see if I can get a bit more roll in the suspension.

Also going to see if/where I can add a bit of weight to the rear to see if I can get the weight distribution to something around 62/38

Let's try going the other way with the rear link, Let's go shorter and see if we can get the rear to transfer weight better.

Also, what limiters are in the front/rear shocks?

Can the rear shocks be layed in anymore on the top?

Added weight to the rear but in front of the rear axle could help certainly with planting it more.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:40 PM
Suspended

I would look at a setup like this to start from for our local track.

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/schumac...0329/setup.pdf
Old 05-17-2015, 11:24 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Run 0 antisquat, and sv2 arms flipped with hubs forward... that will add alot of forward bite

You can also unscrew the front shocks a few turns to add weight transfer

taller ride height will add grip also... 24mm-ish
Old 05-18-2015, 01:52 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 141 (100%+)

I had the original KF at 63/37% with all the mods you have. But I ran a tekin rs speed control butted up against the shorty. There's not much space there though, but it can fit.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:28 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Looking at the layout of the B5M and the KF2 from the top when both have shorty packs installed and the KF2 has shocks on the back it "looks" like the KF2 would have more rearward weight distribution than the B5M because the battery sits further back than the motor, which is much lighter. However, the layshafts/pulleys/mounts/slipper assembly for the transmission in the KF2 are pretty heavy so that probably ends up being a substantial difference compared to the plastic gearbox on the B5M.

At this point I am not willing to spend the money to find out but I am betting if you went with a low profile servo up front, ran the CF chassis and moved that saved weight to the rear of the car in the form of some brass you might be able to get into the 62% range at the rear. To get more you would probably have to go with titanium layshafts and carbon fiber pieces for the trans mounts. But that's a project for Shawn @ Plan B Racing
Looks sweet! Why did you switch out the Schumacher shocks for Kyosho?
Old 05-18-2015, 06:13 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Will try lengthening rear links a bit more to see if I can get a bit more roll in the suspension.
I tried doing this and it does add some rear traction. Mostly in mid-corner. The problem I had with this is the car becomes too sloppy/lazy in the rear and as a result you have to wait too long for the car to square up before you can get on the throttle, causing you to spin out on corner exit unless you are really patient. On our track/layout it was not worth the trade off.

If you do as Socket suggested and shorten the links you will have the opposite effect. The car will square up faster out of the corner so I would try shortening the link and then going to at least -2 rear camber because of the increased camber gain you will have with the shorter link.

In addition to Tony Newland's recommendations make sure you are using in the inside hole on the rear shock tower and the inside hole on the rear arms for mounting the shocks. This helped quite a bit.

Flipping the rear arms as Tony suggested does move some weight back but I had a very hard time keeping the dog bones from popping out of the drive cups with them mounted this way. I intended to use some of the Cougar KR CVD shafts (U4069), which add 2.75mm of plunge but have not done so yet.

The best I could do with weight ratio was about 38.25% to 61.75% front to rear. This is obviously dependent on the weight of the battery, motor, ESC and added weight. I was using a shorty LiPo with a Speed Passion Reventon mounted as far back as possible with a Trinity D4 1S 17.5. If anyone can get this car into the 63% rear weight range without adding a truckload of brass I would love to see it.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:14 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by LoudOne
Looks sweet! Why did you switch out the Schumacher shocks for Kyosho?
I actually didn't build that car. I just found it while poking around and thought people in this forum might get a kick out of it.
Old 05-18-2015, 06:24 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

If you run the inside hole on the arms you'll need to limit droop... I think I used a 1mm limiter inside the shocks. I never had any issue with the dogbones popping out.

But using the CVD style of driveshafts will also add some forward bite
Old 05-18-2015, 06:44 AM
Suspended

I also forgot to ask - what is the total rear toe you're running? Most of these low grip setups are saying to run 4 degrees of rear toe.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:26 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 360 (100%+)

Here are a couple of 'spy shots' taken at the NEXT Series, Rnd 1 at Cruzin with RC's in Waldwick, NJ yesterday, over 100 Entries (Down to D-main in Stock Buggy!).
This is Schumacher's Stephen Maizer's KF2 Prototype

He TQ'd and won Stock Buggy

Old 05-18-2015, 12:22 PM
Tech Regular

Hey! No fair! They stole the "Franken-Cougar" concept!

In all seriousness this looks extremely promising. Assuming this layout, which is similar to that of the competition (B5M etc), gets the weight over the rear in the 63% + range then I see little reason for an SV3.

Does the whole motor mount/gear/layshaft assembly get reused and it just mounts further back with a shorter belt?

I am assuming this is a factory effort and not just a custom one-off by Mr. Maizer?

Can I please have one?

Last edited by motorcitymatt; 05-18-2015 at 06:20 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yes I designed this conversion kit few months ago and the car is now well approved on astro tracks. Here is the last version of it when I place the car at the 4th place of the French nats round #3 of stock class. The car is more confortable on high grip with saddle LiPo instead of shorty

If some drivers are interested in build their own Cougar SF, please PM
Old 05-18-2015, 01:15 PM
Tech Master

Hey! No fair! They stole the "Franken-Cougar" concept!

In all seriousness this looks extremely promising. Assuming this layout, which is similar to that of the competition (B5M etc), gets the gets the weight over the rear in the 63% + range then I see no reason for an SV3.

Does the whole motor mount/gear/layshaft assembly get reused and it just mounts further back with a shorter belt?

I am assuming this is a factory effort and not just a custom one-off by Mr. Maizer?

Can I please have one?
This is not my photo someone at the track snapped it when i was away from my pit.

It is one off-using Schumacher parts plus, a pully from SDP inc. The top deck was hand made the day of the race. The car worked great, i hope Schumacher like's it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.