TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck >

TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck

TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck

Old 06-06-2016, 12:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HBRob
Ran my 3 gear with a 13.5 last night. A+
What type of surface? low, med or high traction?
Old 06-06-2016, 03:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYSIT
What type of surface? low, med or high traction?
Med-High indoor clay. No changes necessary from previous setup, but in air corrections more in line with what my 3.0 (and T5M previously) felt like.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:43 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just dove into stadium truck last week with a fresh 22T 2.0

I love the truck so far, got my first ever heat race win and TQ the first time I put it on the track for a race on Sunday, so no complaints on how it drives.

My car is rather loud, the diff is smooth, so I don't think it is that, and the gear mesh is fairly loose on the pinion and spur. Did I perhaps over-tighten my transmission? Also, I used white lithium grease on the transmission gears. Think that's okay? I ran the slipper fairly loose and could hear the noise from that, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I remember when I built my 22 3.0, the transmission was too tight and it was locking up until I loosened up the screws on the transmission case.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:23 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

The 3-gear has been working great for me. It's definitely worth a try for anything indoor for sure!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

I will definitely try the 3-gear when MN racing moves back indoors this fall, thanks.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:53 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank Root
The 3-gear has been working great for me. It's definitely worth a try for anything indoor for sure!
Also, is that a hint that the 4-gear is just kind of noisy compared to TLR 3-gear transmissions?
Old 06-07-2016, 11:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by ryan432greening
I just dove into stadium truck last week with a fresh 22T 2.0

I love the truck so far, got my first ever heat race win and TQ the first time I put it on the track for a race on Sunday, so no complaints on how it drives.

My car is rather loud, the diff is smooth, so I don't think it is that, and the gear mesh is fairly loose on the pinion and spur. Did I perhaps over-tighten my transmission? Also, I used white lithium grease on the transmission gears. Think that's okay? I ran the slipper fairly loose and could hear the noise from that, but that's not what I'm talking about.

I remember when I built my 22 3.0, the transmission was too tight and it was locking up until I loosened up the screws on the transmission case.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks!
Can't be much wrong if you TQ'd and won your first race with it.

Yes the tranny does not like to have tight screws. Snug only, even loose you might say, but I have never had an issue with the screws backing out or the case separating.

I too noticed that the TLR tranny and gear mesh is louder than others, but never had any issues and the smoothest tranny ever.
The 3-gear tranny is much better, especially over jumps that cause the front to nose up and you have to hit the brakes to bring it back down. The 3-gear smooths this action out. Plus even though I have a super smooth 4 gear tranny the 3 gear is more efficient and less weight.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:48 AM
Tech Regular

I did the lazy routine when loosening up the transmission case at the track and skipped a couple of the screws, so I'll take it apart further and get the rest backed out a bit.

This thing was so much fun! I wish I would have bought it sooner and passed on the 22-4, which is a great car once I got it set up, but I didn't realize that pretty much only the hot rod racers in our region run that class.

Stadium Truck is looking like a nice class for me outdoors as the top shelf talent sticks to buggies and short courses so it gives me a chance to gain some confidence without constantly having to move over for lapping drivers.

Fun stuff, love this kit. Easy to drive from the get go. All I did was throw some low frequency springs on I had left over and the brass front/rear hinge pin and she was dialed.

Could use some more steering but I didn't want to give up the rear grip I had.
Old 06-07-2016, 02:05 PM
Tech Master

Frank, does that mean that the 3 gear tranny won't work as well on an outdoor old school dirt surface? I'm getting ready to install it and convert my rear motored truck. I'm hoping that the new mid motor configuration and 3 gear tranny will work on ALL dirt surfaces and tracks in my region as well as it has been doing as a rear motored truck. I never had to deviate from the kit setup as a rear motor, just change tires as necessary.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:54 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ryan432greening
Also, is that a hint that the 4-gear is just kind of noisy compared to TLR 3-gear transmissions?
No, not at all.

Originally Posted by Jack Bonhomme
Frank, does that mean that the 3 gear tranny won't work as well on an outdoor old school dirt surface? I'm getting ready to install it and convert my rear motored truck. I'm hoping that the new mid motor configuration and 3 gear tranny will work on ALL dirt surfaces and tracks in my region as well as it has been doing as a rear motored truck. I never had to deviate from the kit setup as a rear motor, just change tires as necessary.
I think the 3-gear is the way to go for spec racing on all surfaces. In mod, when the grip is really low, i think you might see better performance from a 4-gear tranny.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:20 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just got the 3-gear installed in my truck this afternoon. Haven't gotten a chance to run it yet, but check out my blog below for the install review.

http://razorrc.tumblr.com/

Last edited by tsair; 06-07-2016 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tsair
Just got the 3-gear installed in my truck this afternoon. Haven't gotten a chance to run it yet, but check out my blog below for the install review.

http://razorrc.tumblr.com/
Great review ! Do you use a mod or stock motor with 22 / 76 gearing ?
Old 06-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYSIT
Great review ! Do you use a mod or stock motor with 22 / 76 gearing ?
Thanks! I ran 21/76 with a 13.5 on my 4-gear, going to try either 22/76 or 22/78 with the 3-gear.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:30 PM
Tech Master

With the new 3 gear tranny layout, do we only run shorty packs, or are brick packs still an option? I'm running Mod by the way. Also, can a shorty be run sideways easily after trimming the side plastic chassis guards for clearance?
Old 06-07-2016, 06:40 PM
Tech Master

No, not at all.

I think the 3-gear is the way to go for spec racing on all surfaces. In mod, when the grip is really low, i think you might see better performance from a 4-gear tranny.
Would you include a 10.5t motor in spec racing? That is, would you recommend a 3 or 4 gear tranny with a 10.5t motor on a low to med grip track?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.