Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck >

TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck

TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck

Old 09-01-2015, 05:35 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I'm wondering if some creative dremeling to the bottom of the tranny case or the chassis where it sits would cure this.
Old 09-01-2015, 07:28 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrousdave
I don't know, my solution so far has been to put shims between the trans case and the pivot block so that it doesn't get pulled down and put in a bind when tightening the front screws. Something I didn't think of, which pivot block are you guys using, the stock one or the brass one? In my case I've used the brass one each time and haven't even tried the stock one.
I tried two different stock/aluminum pivot blocks. Both produced the same result. For what it's worth, I run the brass option in my 22SCT and had zero issues installing it.

Originally Posted by Lenman73
I'm wondering if some creative dremeling to the bottom of the tranny case or the chassis where it sits would cure this.
I definitely think you're on the right track. Somewhere under the tranny it seems there is too much material.

I found some success with swapping in a different tranny case. The one that came in the kit was VERY tight. The case from my spare 22SCT was better and is the one currently mounted in the 22T.

Another thing I've been thinking about:

This seems to only be a problem with recent iterations of this kit. Believe me I searched and searched for information when I ran into this over the weekend and landed on this thread a couple pages back. I purchased my kit toward the end of July from Amain if memory serves. With how much my transmission was binding I just can't believe this thread wouldn't have been consumed by reports of the problem if it existed right from the get-go.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:23 AM
Tech Regular

Mine was purchased the first week of August from amain
Old 09-01-2015, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Originally Posted by MNiceGuy
I tried two different stock/aluminum pivot blocks. Both produced the same result. For what it's worth, I run the brass option in my 22SCT and had zero issues installing it.

I definitely think you're on the right track. Somewhere under the tranny it seems there is too much material.

I found some success with swapping in a different tranny case. The one that came in the kit was VERY tight. The case from my spare 22SCT was better and is the one currently mounted in the 22T.

Another thing I've been thinking about:

This seems to only be a problem with recent iterations of this kit. Believe me I searched and searched for information when I ran into this over the weekend and landed on this thread a couple pages back. I purchased my kit toward the end of July from Amain if memory serves. With how much my transmission was binding I just can't believe this thread wouldn't have been consumed by reports of the problem if it existed right from the get-go.
My last two kits have had slightly warped cases, the 22T 2.0, and the 22SCT 2.0 swapped them for new ones and no issues, so yes I do believe there is a problem with perhaps a certain run of cases.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:06 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

I just ordered another truck yesterday so it will be interesting to see if it has the same problem. My trucks have been bought about 2 months apart.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

I swapped out tranny cases yesterday. While it still rolls a little stiff I believe it is a bearing issue now and they just need to be run. I have only spun it by hand so far. I think all will be well now. The old case however I found the problem. The idler closest to the diff gear was rubbing on the the case. Not on the sides. It was where the case curved around the diameter of the the gear. That one spun hard when it was out of the car but like I said, put in a new case and all is well.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:51 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Lenman73
I swapped out tranny cases yesterday. While it still rolls a little stiff I believe it is a bearing issue now and they just need to be run. I have only spun it by hand so far. I think all will be well now. The old case however I found the problem. The idler closest to the diff gear was rubbing on the the case. Not on the sides. It was where the case curved around the diameter of the the gear. That one spun hard when it was out of the car but like I said, put in a new case and all is well.
We are looking into this right now. We've had the cases without issue for years, and now this has suddenly arisen. We'll figure it out and get everyone setup.
Old 09-03-2015, 05:04 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Frank Root
We are looking into this right now. We've had the cases without issue for years, and now this has suddenly arisen. We'll figure it out and get everyone setup.
Thanks Frank. Appreciate your insight and hard work.

My theory as it stands is there is too much material, whether it be chassis or tranny case, where the tranny contacts the chassis at the front of the square cut out in the chassis itself. This is causing the tranny case to flex when the front screws are tightened down. Since this area is so close to the front screws, it would explain why there is binding even when only those are installed.

I've been pretty short on time this week but over the long weekend I plan to take a spare case, shave some material from this area and then fully tighten the front screws.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I had the same problem with my buggy tranny cases. Ended up shimming the front with 1mm ball stud washers. I found the problem. If you have a case that screws in tightly without binding, if you measure the nubs on the case where those 2 screws, screw into you will see on a case that doesn't bind the nubs are 1-1.5mm taller per say than a case that binds, hence the reason why shimming it solves the problem. This drove me nuts for a couple days, I happened to have like 5 spare tranny cases, all new, so I was tearing apart tranny's left and right building new ones until I figured it out. Two of the cases were new from my local hobby shop. I ran down there and figured I would grab new stock, since the spare ones I had some were from a 1.0 kit one was from another 2.0 kit and another I had NIP as a spare. They all produced the same problem. The only one that didn't need shimming was the one that came with my current kit purchased in Nov

Last edited by Medicinal Coma; 09-03-2015 at 11:00 PM.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:23 PM
Tech Regular

is there a tuning tips sheet for the 22T 2.0 like there is for the scte 2.0 ?? the one that says if you raise the inner link this is the effect and shock position affect and so on ??? or will the scte one pretty much be the same ??
Old 09-05-2015, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Dirtraycer
is there a tuning tips sheet for the 22T 2.0 like there is for the scte 2.0 ?? the one that says if you raise the inner link this is the effect and shock position affect and so on ??? or will the scte one pretty much be the same ??
You can look here for some setup information:

http://www.petitrc.com/setup/losi/Se...wentyTwoT.html
Old 09-06-2015, 02:12 PM
Tech Regular

I'm just starting out with my 22T on stock truck class where 17.5 is mandatory but timing/boost/turbo is allowed. I am currently running a Tekin RS Gen2 along with a Tekin Redline Gen2 17.5.

What kind of gearing should I use as a starting point? I found an old thread which recommended gearing the same as 9.5T which would be 19/82 according to the manual.

Anyone else have some suggestions?
Old 09-06-2015, 10:34 PM
Tech Adept

Should i buy a used one or just buy a new one and get the upgrades i want?
Old 09-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by MNiceGuy
I'm just starting out with my 22T on stock truck class where 17.5 is mandatory but timing/boost/turbo is allowed. I am currently running a Tekin RS Gen2 along with a Tekin Redline Gen2 17.5.

What kind of gearing should I use as a starting point? I found an old thread which recommended gearing the same as 9.5T which would be 19/82 according to the manual.

Anyone else have some suggestions?
At BGRC in des moines, ia the 22t 2.0s in stock are running 25-26/76. No boost on esc but timing on motor is ok.
Old 09-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by rckid13
Should i buy a used one or just buy a new one and get the upgrades i want?
I go the new route because I enjoy building the kit. A nice side-effect is you get first-hand experience on how everything works and fits together.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.