Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck >

TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck

TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck

Old 02-05-2017, 04:35 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by iDesign5
Hoping to settle, well not really an argument but rather a discussion...

What effect does moving the front hubs up or down with the spacers do? This was being argued at the track this week. I know roll center but one said raising the hub gave more steering, the other said takes it away. Just trying to get a definitive answer.
Moving hubs up raises the roll center, decreasing steering. Moving hubs down lowers the roll center, increasing steering.
Old 02-05-2017, 06:23 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (97%+)

Originally Posted by iDesign5
Hoping to settle, well not really an argument but rather a discussion...

What effect does moving the front hubs up or down with the spacers do? This was being argued at the track this week. I know roll center but one said raising the hub gave more steering, the other said takes it away. Just trying to get a definitive answer.

pretty good article here worth reading:
http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...ll-center.html

Lowering Roll Center

Raise inside camber link position at brace/tower
Lower outside camber link position at hub/caster block
Raise hub/caster block mounting hole at arm
Lower the inside arm mounting location
Lengthen camber link

Raising Roll Center

Lower inside camber link position at brace/tower
Raise outside camber link position at hub/caster block
Lower hub/caster block mounting hole at arm
Raise the inside arm mounting location
Shorten camber link
So to answer the question more specifically, both answers are correct, it just depends on where you want the extra steering, at the beginning of the turn or during mid corner?

Front Roll Center
The higher the front roll center is, the more responsive (or aggressive) the initial steering will be, but mid corner steering may be reduced. The lower the front roll center is, the softer the steering response is and more mid corner steering may be achieved. The reason I say MAY on the mid corner steering is because mid corner steering is affected by many things and the addition or subtraction of roll in that situation could make things go either direction
I was looking for more low speed steering in the chicanes recently on my EXO22T and I was VERY pleased with moving the lower shock holes on the arms to farthest inside hole position making the shocks stand up a little more vertical. That was more effective for me than jacking with the roll center:

http://site.petitrc.com/reglages/BuggySetupGuide.pdf

Lower Shock Mounting Location
Bear in mind that changing the lower shock mounting loca
tion changes the lever arm of the shocks on the wheels.
So mounting the shocks more inward makes the suspension softer at
the wheel, and mounting the shocks more towards the outside
makes the suspension stiffer.

Front more inward:
More low-speed steering. Usually makes the car very hard to drive.
Front more outward:
Makes the car very stable, but it has a lot less low-speed steering.

Rear more inward:
Makes the car soak up bumps a little better, and can make
the car corner a bit faster. Can be good for bumpy,
low-grip tracks, but general stability is greatly reduced.
Rear more outward:
Feels very stable. This is the way to go for high-grip tracks.

Last edited by billdelong; 02-05-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:31 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I've only driven a stadium truck for about 3 laps but may be getting one. Do they tend to push a little mid corner like a buggy where they would benefit from a laydown transmission? Is traction overall the same ? I'm considering either TLR or X-ray XT2 but have had rear traction issues with the X-ray Xb2 buggy on clay
Old 02-05-2017, 10:42 PM
Tech Champion

I can't speak for the 22T-3.0 but I'm running an EXO22T which is fairly similar, just doesn't have the front VLA and I find that it drives very similar if not a little easier than my 22-3.0 on a clay track where both cars are currently setup with the standard 3 gear transmission. Our club will be switching over to a low pile turf soon so I'm expecting to have to migrate over to a laydown with presumed extra traction. Both the buggy and truck respond very well to tuning changes and it doesn't take much to get them dialed in... I would start with Frank Root's setup and make slight adjustments (if necessary) from there:
http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...etup,%20MM.pdf
Old 02-05-2017, 11:05 PM
JAE
Tech Master

Are people converting their ST's to laydown transmissions?im wondering if this is not necessary like it is with the buggy on med/high grip tracks to be running the fastest laps. With my standup vs laydown buggy I'm about 1/2 second slower per 20 second lap when the grip is decent with treads. Wondering if the results are the same with a stadium truck

Originally Posted by billdelong
I can't speak for the 22T-3.0 but I'm running an EXO22T which is fairly similar, just doesn't have the front VLA and I find that it drives very similar if not a little easier than my 22-3.0 on a clay track where both cars are currently setup with the standard 3 gear transmission. Our club will be switching over to a low pile turf soon so I'm expecting to have to migrate over to a laydown with presumed extra traction. Both the buggy and truck respond very well to tuning changes and it doesn't take much to get them dialed in... I would start with Frank Root's setup and make slight adjustments (if necessary) from there:
http://www.tlracing.com/ProdInfo/Fil...etup,%20MM.pdf
Old 02-05-2017, 11:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

There really aren't very many trucks on the market available with laydown, so it's kind of uncharted territory.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:28 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by JAE
Are people converting their ST's to laydown transmissions?im wondering if this is not necessary like it is with the buggy on med/high grip tracks to be running the fastest laps. With my standup vs laydown buggy I'm about 1/2 second slower per 20 second lap when the grip is decent with treads. Wondering if the results are the same with a stadium truck
the fastest drivers in my area are indeed running laydowns, however there's another laydown driver who's been beating me in 2WD Buggy but I recently beat him in ST suggesting that the laydown can either help or hurt depending on car setup and driver skill... I would start with the standard transmission first, then once you've maxed your tuning window options to get the steering (corner speed) you need then go with the laydown as a last resort. I'm not convinced my skill level is quite there for a laydown on clay, but might be ready for it on turf. I prefer a more stable setup than a twitchy setup as I like to go full lock in corners and use throttle to adjust my push... my concern is that a laydown would force me to have to re-learn a completely new driving style.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

the fastest drivers in my area are indeed running laydowns, however there's another laydown driver who's been beating me in 2WD Buggy but I recently beat him in ST suggesting that the laydown can either help or hurt depending on car setup and driver skill... I would start with the standard transmission first, then once you've maxed your tuning window options to get the steering (corner speed) you need then go with the laydown as a last resort. I'm not convinced my skill level is quite there for a laydown on clay, but might be ready for it on turf. I prefer a more stable setup than a twitchy setup as I like to go full lock in corners and use throttle to adjust my push... my concern is that a laydown would force me to have to re-learn a completely new driving style.
There's a man engineering laydowns to retrofit all three of the 22, 22T and 22SCT 1.0 and 2.0 platforms that really intrigued me. He has the 3-gear done and on solidworks, the 4-gear is being finished up now. They look like an awesome option for those on the slightly older platforms for around $50. I'm looking at grabbing the stuff to throw one together and try.
Old 02-07-2017, 04:55 AM
Tech Champion

sounds interesting, I wonder what the geometry is like and how it compares to the TLR332063 and TLR338004 in terms of motor placement

Old 02-07-2017, 09:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 93 (100%+)

FRANK..Do you know if JR was running a 3 or 4 gear tranny in his 22T 3.0 in this video

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 02-08-2017, 11:21 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DriveItLikeYSIT
FRANK..Do you know if JR was running a 3 or 4 gear tranny in his 22T 3.0 in this video

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
3-gear
Old 02-12-2017, 02:33 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

sounds interesting, I wonder what the geometry is like and how it compares to the TLR332063 and TLR338004 in terms of motor placement

According to what I see as well as what the man doing the designs says, everything bolts up in the same spots as stock or the 3-gear conversion TLR has. Personally I'm going to hold off for the time being.

I, like several others, just switched my truck to an Exo22T and have fallen in love with it. I also put the TLR 3-gear conversion, Schelle Nova slipper and an MIP Pucks kit in it all at the same time as well so I'm sure it's a combo of all, but the thing was night and day different.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:43 PM
Tech Adept

I noticed some guys use an sct rear hex +.75. Is That shorter or longer than the stock 22t rear hex?
Thanks in advance
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by yz167
I noticed some guys use an sct rear hex +.75. Is That shorter or longer than the stock 22t rear hex?
Thanks in advance
I believe the T2.0 uses a stock SCT rear hex, so that should be longer.
Old 03-03-2017, 11:41 AM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tsair
I believe the T2.0 uses a stock SCT rear hex, so that should be longer.
Correct.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.