Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck >

TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck

TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck

Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Exotek chassis and 3-gear make the truck pretty amazing.

I have reviews on my blog below. Not only is the Exotek nice to get the battery transverse, but it also makes room to get the ESC down low on the chassis instead of above the battery.
Old 09-13-2016, 12:02 PM
TLRacing

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DJPod
Are there any aluminum spindles for the 22T 2.0? Since the local track has gone indoor carpet I have been breaking spindles every race day! One wrong move and hitting a wall or post snaps those spindles like nothing!
You'll have to send me a photo, never seen one of those broken.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:55 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frank Root
You'll have to send me a photo, never seen one of those broken.
Attached is the image of the broken spindle, I have bought four of these from my LHS in the past month and all have snapped. (all of them are the left spindles, but the wall is on the left side of the track which if hit just wrong, is were they typically break).

Also attached is an image of a temporary fix I made so I could race an A-Main (had no replacements on hand and none left at the LHS) It held up good enough to get 3rd place. Later during some practice with the temp fix spindle installed, the plastic front pivot broke after a bad crash, which I have now replaced with the aluminum pivot.

I have raced this truck for over a year on outdoor dirt tracks and indoor high-bight clay tracks with plenty of crashes and hard hits and only broken a few parts. But when we started racing indoor carpet this last month the spindles have broken at least once every race day.

I am wondering if the LHS got a bad batch of spindles, so I have ordered some online to see if they work better.

Thanks for looking into it.

(PS: looking forward to a 22T 3.0 )
Attached Thumbnails TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck-tlr234044-broken.jpg   TLR 22T 2.0 Stadium Truck-tlr234044-temp-fix.jpg  
Old 09-13-2016, 02:05 PM
TLRacing

Attached is the image of the broken spindle, I have bought four of these from my LHS in the past month and all have snapped. (all of them are the left spindles, but the wall is on the left side of the track which if hit just wrong, is were they typically break).

Also attached is an image of a temporary fix I made so I could race an A-Main (had no replacements on hand and none left at the LHS) It held up good enough to get 3rd place. Later during some practice with the temp fix spindle installed, the plastic front pivot broke after a bad crash, which I have now replaced with the aluminum pivot.

I have raced this truck for over a year on outdoor dirt tracks and indoor high-bight clay tracks with plenty of crashes and hard hits and only broken a few parts. But when we started racing indoor carpet this last month the spindles have broken at least once every race day.

I am wondering if the LHS got a bad batch of spindles, so I have ordered some online to see if they work better.

Thanks for looking into it.

(PS: looking forward to a 22T 3.0 )
Yeah, parts break easier when 1) speeds are higher and 2) grip is higher... which you encounter both or carpet. As for any bad batch, I doubt it. This really isn't a part we've ever seen failures with.
Old 09-14-2016, 05:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Your only choice until someone makes aluminum spindles is to stay away from the walls. I've broken my share of spindles on my 1.0 until I got the aluminum ones, not so many on my 2.0 surprisingly enough. The outside of our carpet track is 2x6's and is very unforgiving if you plow into it at the end of the straight.
Old 09-15-2016, 06:20 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by nitrousdave
Your only choice until someone makes aluminum spindles is to stay away from the walls. I've broken my share of spindles on my 1.0 until I got the aluminum ones, not so many on my 2.0 surprisingly enough. The outside of our carpet track is 2x6's and is very unforgiving if you plow into it at the end of the straight.
The 4mm spindles don't work on the 2.0?
Old 09-15-2016, 11:12 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tsair
Exotek chassis and 3-gear make the truck pretty amazing.

I have reviews on my blog below. Not only is the Exotek nice to get the battery transverse, but it also makes room to get the ESC down low on the chassis instead of above the battery.
I have the Exotek and the TLR 3-gear here but I haven't had the chance to mate the two together. Did you have to modify the chassis at all to get that transmission in there?

EDIT: Disregard. I checked out your blog post on the topic. More than enough information there. Nice job on that by the way.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:46 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by ryan432greening
The 4mm spindles don't work on the 2.0?
Are you talking about the 4mm trailing ones for the 22T 1.0? If so, they would probably bolt on but the geometry and therefore handling would be different.
Old 09-15-2016, 07:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Frank Root
Yeah, parts break easier when 1) speeds are higher and 2) grip is higher... which you encounter both or carpet. As for any bad batch, I doubt it. This really isn't a part we've ever seen failures with.
Figured so, I just thought it was odd that the spindle was the only part breaking. And perhaps if there was an aluminum spindle the truck would last longer between pit stop repairs.

For now I am going to tone down the speed by dropping to a 13.5T instead of the 9.5T I have been using.
Old 09-15-2016, 10:11 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by MNiceGuy
I have the Exotek and the TLR 3-gear here but I haven't had the chance to mate the two together. Did you have to modify the chassis at all to get that transmission in there?

EDIT: Disregard. I checked out your blog post on the topic. More than enough information there. Nice job on that by the way.
Thanks! I just wrote up a Top 10 list of 22 "character flaws". Might be interesting, maybe you guys can relate...
Old 09-16-2016, 05:33 AM
Tech Regular

Figured so, I just thought it was odd that the spindle was the only part breaking. And perhaps if there was an aluminum spindle the truck would last longer between pit stop repairs.

For now I am going to tone down the speed by dropping to a 13.5T instead of the 9.5T I have been using.
A 9.5 on carpet? It must be a blast, but no wonder you are breaking spindles.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:25 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I used to go through spindles when I was racing mod (6.5T) SCT on carpet. In my case, the spindle would split right in half at the bearing. I've never busted the trailing arm off.

For what it's worth, every single one of these wrecks I mention I was grateful that the spindle was all that broke. Mod motors and carpet can get things moving very quickly; sometimes too quickly.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Yeah, I never broke so many things 'til I drove at 702 Raceway. The speeds weren't high, but the plywood jumps and flooring don't give at all compared to dirt which will at least absorb some of the impact energy.
Old 09-26-2016, 11:58 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If I'm struggling to find rear grip on a loose dirt outdoor track, should I try removing some antisquat?
Old 09-26-2016, 01:38 PM
TLRacing

What setup are you running?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.