Wiki Posts
Search

First car for a kid

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 10:42 PM
Tech Addict

Default Tamiya Grasshopper

Tamiya Grasshopper would be my choice

Great bumper bar, tough for a kid, gears will last for ages, easy to look after, comes with a 380 which is a good pace for a kid and you can put a 540 in it later if needed or a Tamiya holiday buggy
Old 01-20-2015, 06:55 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

T4 with RPM wide bumper works quite well. I ran that indoors carpet with hard corner walls and it was durable with the newer style a-arms, etc.

Now if it was a early T4 I would stay way if you don't go with different a-arms, wayyy too brittle.

that and the bulkhead, needed the front hingepin bace.

when I got one of the first T4s that came out was not happy when AE made the cost saving measure to go from the steel hingepin brace to the plastic one from the T3s to T4s, but of course the price didn't reflect the savings for us. We were snapping the bulkheads left and right because of it back in the day.
Old 01-21-2015, 07:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

1/8 scale with a 6s battery, that should make things exciting around the house, and maybe kill the pet dog.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:11 AM
Tech Regular

I got my 5 yr old son a Turnigy nitro circus short course truck for christmas. Almost a month later and zero broken parts.

He did learn throttle control and how to steer from driving other rc's first though.
Old 01-22-2015, 06:33 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Proline PRO-MT?

I went with a Proline PRO-MT kit. My logic was that it is effectively a slash/stampede with all the hop ups out of the box. Durability and handling should be better than either of the Traxxas vehicles so less rollovers and my choice of electronics that should last rather burn out within the first fees runs. I did also consider an Axial Wraith or SCX10 but after buying myself a Wraith RTR that is clearly not the way to go... fragile RTR electronics and a significant amount work/hopups to get to anywhere sensible as far as handling and crawling ability is concerned.