R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #31
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony montana
Would live to see the xx4 make a big comeback and win some big races
2005 European Championships? is that big enough for you? its done that all ready

Its also won a BRCA (UK) national.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #32
Tech Addict

dint it win the brca juniors, f2's and f345's championships also ? (dont remember the official names of those championships)
its won rather a lot this year!.
oople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #33
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I love losi, have always ran there off road cars. but lately there quality is , i mean what quality? they are so banger spec so much slop. i picked up a friends B4 about 6 months old, geez there way no slop in it at all, 100% less than a new losi kit. So i have got a B4 Beautiful Car.

sorry back to 4WD my favouriate class! but unless losi do something special im getting that super fast Yokomo!

Ryper Hobbies l AKA | AE
tony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2005, 10:18 PM   #34
Tech Apprentice

I like the idea of having the battery centralized but I would rather run saddle packs and have a sealed drive train like the XX-4 was. Important offroad features every 4wd off-roader should have in my opinion.

- Sealed drive train, not every track in the country is indoor clay and without dust.
- a oneway or clicker type unit for the front. Why losi got rid of their best tuning feature is beyond me.
- a front diff (no more oneways for the front that eliminate the front diff, they simply can't hold up for longer than a few races.
- a slipper, not the joke of a thing they call a slipper on the xxx-4.
- ground clearance, epecially in the front. The XXX-4 hurts in this area as does other touring conversions.
weliin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 01:56 AM   #35
Tech Addict

What do you mean a front one-way wont hold up ?

i use one on the Bj4x4 and the kyosho zx-5, and a lot of people use the apex/dc heavy duty one in the xxx4 and even xx4 & x5
never had a problem with any of my front oneways, even running on super high grip carpet with pins.
oople is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:30 AM   #36
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I think he's talking more about Losi's version than anything.
Scottmisfits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 02:13 PM   #37
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

agreed, the losi version of the oneway in the XXX-4 wasn't known to hold up very well.

When I had the XX-4 ( had one of the first ones made), I really liked the clicker, was nice to dial it in . I just wish the bulkheads were stronger as well as the chassis back then.

I wonder if losi is looking to bring back the XX-4, would they try and build off of it in the future?

While there at it, bring back the Class 8 body, i really liked running truck style with my XX-4 LOL!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:03 PM   #38
Tech Apprentice

Yeah I was talking more about the Losi version, plus I don't like how they drive through the really rough outdoor tracks. A diff + oneway combo is much better in rough conditions, IMO. The oneway without diff tends to be alot more twitchy in those conditions.

You may or may not agree...which is fine. But that's what I'll be looking for on my next offroad purchase. If the market doesn't have it I won't reinvest in the class, my XX-4 still runs great and is still a lap faster than all others in the rough outdoor track conditions.
weliin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 10:47 PM   #39
Tech Adept

R/c Car just had a nice article on a new aftermarket conversion that looks promising! They call it the X-5. its a cross between a XXX-4 and a XX-4!
BatJam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:03 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to windellmc

I'm not sure if anyone posted but Losi has re-released the XX4 World's Edition.
windellmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 11:18 PM   #41
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatJam1
R/c Car just had a nice article on a new aftermarket conversion that looks promising! They call it the X-5. its a cross between a XXX-4 and a XX-4!

yeah dude, you came late to the party on that one, the x-5 conversion has been out for at least a year now. It is just a single belt xx-4, check out http://www.4wdrc.com
o.s. power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 12:15 AM   #42
Tech Initiate

I still think that the xxx-4 is a great car. I have raced one since the graphite plus first came out and I love the thing. I wouldn't mind another losi 4wd coming out just as long as losi continues making parts for those devoted to the xxx-4.
TQchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 02:20 AM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I have a bunch of 4WDs and have to say I love having a One-Way on all of them! I will agree with the statements above regarding the Losi One-Way... it's just not durable enough... especially for the rigors of Off-Road. For my Losi kits (yes, I own the competition too ) I use the Apex Heavy Duty One-Way which is far superior in comparison except that it's a bit heavier. In my opinion it's a well crafted Masterpiece! I have it on my XXX-4 and will soon have it in my X-5 as well.

STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 04:25 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEALTH
I have a bunch of 4WDs and have to say I love having a One-Way on all of them! I will agree with the statements above regarding the Losi One-Way... it's just not durable enough... especially for the rigors of Off-Road. For my Losi kits (yes, I own the competition too ) I use the Apex Heavy Duty One-Way which is far superior in comparison except that it's a bit heavier. In my opinion it's a well crafted Masterpiece! I have it on my XXX-4 and will soon have it in my X-5 as well.

When you get the apex in your X-5 let me know exactly how you did it, becuase (I think) you need access to a machine shop to do it properly. It requires shaving down the outer flange and relocating the mouting holes, none of which I'm willing to do to my new apex by hacking away at it with my dremel and drill tap set.
cartmen34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 09:17 PM   #45
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmen34
When you get the apex in your X-5 let me know exactly how you did it, becuase (I think) you need access to a machine shop to do it properly. It requires shaving down the outer flange and relocating the mouting holes, none of which I'm willing to do to my new apex by hacking away at it with my dremel and drill tap set.

cartmen34 - Yes, you are right! Some milling needs to be done for the APEX One-Way to fit the X-5 properly. Fortunately I am having a new friend do it for me. He has access to a machine shop and has already done this before. I too wouldn't dare take a dremel and drill to it! I believe if you search around 4WDRC.com you will get to see a pic showing one nicely installed.

Lastly, if there is demand for it... they may make one for the XX-4... which would be a direct fit for both the XX-4 and the X-5! Hope that helps.

Last edited by STEALTH; 10-27-2005 at 09:46 PM.
STEALTH is offline   Reply With Quote