Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
22 vs B5 vs Dex210v2 >

22 vs B5 vs Dex210v2

22 vs B5 vs Dex210v2

Old 01-06-2015, 04:15 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shagino
I was hoping the grassroots program would do more for TD but I think you need absolute blind faith to stick with TD or be sponsored by them.
The whole grassroots thing really hasn't had time to do anything yet, so it's kinda hard to judge them on that yet. Nothing happens over night in the business world. It's probably not something we'll see the full effects of until maybe 6 months to a year.

TD cars are quite good, which is why they are still worth considering. The original dex210 has some features on it that still are not available on the B5 (or any other car).

Sure, you have to be prepared to lug around all your spares, but that's true of many other brands; Kyosho, Serpent, X-Ray, Schumacher, Yokomo, etc. People still race those cars.

So I don't understand why it takes blind faith to stick with TD, unless you're only saying that because it's still the "cool" thing to talk trash about Durango. And which is worse? Sticking with a brand because of blind faith, or bashing a brand out of blind ignorance?
Old 01-06-2015, 04:37 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Some of its the unknown future of Durango. All the other brands are stable, well established and proven in their ability.

Durango is as well to a point, but they just don't seem to have the backing for some of their cars to make sense to everyone. That's true about every brand though.

When looking at a new buggy I looked at Durango, but in the end their new strategy combined with a total lack of parts or proven setups in my area steered me away from it.
Old 01-06-2015, 04:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
Sure, you have to be prepared to lug around all your spares, but that's true of many other brands; Kyosho, Serpent, X-Ray, Schumacher, Yokomo, etc. People still race those cars.

So I don't understand why it takes blind faith to stick with TD, unless you're only saying that because it's still the "cool" thing to talk trash about Durango. And which is worse? Sticking with a brand because of blind faith, or bashing a brand out of blind ignorance?
True for any brand that your LHS doens't have parts support for. Like I said earlier, I really hope they to succeed. I just think you need to have blind faith that they are right and that your LHS keeps support up. Maybe it's different elsewhere but I've seen TD support drop significantly around here.

It's not about performance. It's about being left standing when the music stops.

Originally Posted by ThePanda
in the end their new strategy combined with a total lack of parts or proven setups in my area steered me away from it.
This is what made me leave TD. While I really do hope that they're strategy works, I wasn't going to wait around to find out.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:12 AM
Tech Regular

My take on this is a bit different. I have had multiple 22's, multiple B5's and soon will try the 210. Likes and dislikes as follows
TLR22
-Like the durability and part support
-Like the handling manners sometimes as MM
-Dislike the lean and hook of the RM, Using stiffer springs to eliminate causes the car to become inconsistent
-Really dislike the fact of a lot of extra money to invest to get the rear of the car to plant, this is caused from the crappy trans design putting the motor way too far forward in MM configuration
-Exotek or new TLR bell cranks are a must, the stock rack is crap

B5
-MM is too aggressive and snaps around sometimes, car seems inconsistent for my driving style
- HEAVY! Must spend a fortune on lighter parts for a MM for 17.5 blinky or the car is just a slug
-RM is really really good with easy driving manners
-RM is light
-RM makes a perfect 17.5 blinky racer
-while some can be very consistent with the MM B5, I prefer the RM

TD 210
Not sure yet. Just picked up a Durango SC truck for a bargain. I am going to play with this thing for a couple of weeks and if I like it I am going to get the 210 also. I have grown bored with my B5. My setup only needs a minor rear RC change from track to track now. Problem???? Yes, I like to tinker as much as I like to drive. As for parts, all these cars can have a good support but usually when someone breaks something at the track, someone else had broken the same part resulting in having to order the part anyway. I stock enough parts to almost build another car if needed,Minus chassis. Hobby shop owners aren't rich and they cannot stock 20 of everything. LOL

Hope this helps a little, its a little more descriptive of what my findings have been. Good luck. All these cars can win and are good.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:14 AM
Tech Prophet

True for any brand that your LHS doens't have parts support for. Like I said earlier, I really hope they to succeed. I just think you need to have blind faith that they are right and that your LHS keeps support up. Maybe it's different elsewhere but I've seen TD support drop significantly around here.

It's not about performance. It's about being left standing when the music stops.

This is what made me leave TD. While I really do hope that they're strategy works, I wasn't going to wait around to find out.

Yea there isn't many guys running the Durangos around where im at but i don't care as long as there is places that sell the parts still. I like being the underdog not that the buggy isn't competitive to others because it is . If i beat the other guys running with the quote bigger brands its even better.

Not to mention even if it was lets say the model wasn't around the parts will be around for quite a while still. Yokomo has about the worse parts support here compared to any other brand but its a copy of the B5 anyways .

The Panda: Honestly the stock setup is not bad its really no different than others with basic tuning.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tc5 man
Yea there isn't many guys running the Durangos around where im at but i don't care as long as there is places that sell the parts still. I like being the underdog not that the buggy isn't competitive to others because it is .
I honestly feel that if any of us(local fast/slow guys) were forced to switch brands(AE/Losi/Durango/Serpent/Yokomo/HobbyPro/maybe even Team C), the same names would be in the top 5 for results.

The big difference in brands is parts availability, parts quality, setup help, ease of maintenance, brand pride.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:01 AM
Tech Prophet

I honestly feel that if any of us(local fast/slow guys) were forced to switch brands(AE/Losi/Durango/Serpent/Yokomo/HobbyPro/maybe even Team C), the same names would be in the top 5 for results.

The big difference in brands is parts availability, parts quality, setup help, ease of maintenance, brand pride.

True it would be cool to see that with different brands finishing in that order at club racing ! One thing i realized over time is that the brands that aren't as popular at some tracks is the quality is much better than the bigger name ones . Over the time it saved money from owning Associated and Losi before as far as replaceing the wear on the plastics and drivetrain.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:15 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

Originally Posted by barry1me
Guys I know this is a debated topic but im looking for some advice on a 1/10 scale buggy. Im just looking for insight on which setup to run MM on, and which is your favorite. I have typically been a Losi guy but Im open to whatever. The LHS carry TLR, and AE parts. Durango is not a kit that has many hobby shops around me carry parts for.
I have not owned the Durango, but I have a B5M and a TLR 22. Just go with the B5M. The 22 is a well made car, but for Mid motor, it is just terrible IMO. The rear end dances all over the place. The B5M is very heavy out of the box, that is true, but so is the TLR. There are several ways to get the weight down. If you are running mod, the weight is not overly important. If you are running stock, your going to end up dumping cash into any car you buy.

B5M Pros
- easy to works on
- good rear bite
- durable
- local support

B5M Cons
- heavy for stock
- needs a few inexpensive parts out of the box to make it better
- bearings kinda suck. At least in the front hubs.

** Note, the FT car "might" be coming out soon. This is solely based on the fact that AE normally waits a year after release to make the FT kit. But...They may not make a FT kit at all.

I have owned the RB6, 22 and B5 platforms. IMO, the B5 platforms are the best overall. The weight of the car is the only real downer for stock racing. But stock racing is dumb. I still run stock, but it is still a dumb class.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:20 AM
Tech Prophet

I know a few guys that buy and race every car the comes out. So I pick their brains about the pros and cons, because I also like to try new cars. Some were sponsored by Serpent and some of the other minor brands. All of them said, the same thing. The AE car is the best they ran, but they wished the QC was better. AE's QC has been lacking, but they are quick to use CS to address the issues for customers. The AE platform has come a LONG way since the B4 that dominated for a decade.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
... But stock racing is dumb. I still run stock, but it is still a dumb class.
I almost spit my coffee out when reading that
Old 01-06-2015, 09:08 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Wildcat1971
I know a few guys that buy and race every car the comes out. So I pick their brains about the pros and cons, because I also like to try new cars. Some were sponsored by Serpent and some of the other minor brands. All of them said, the same thing. The AE car is the best they ran, but they wished the QC was better. AE's QC has been lacking, but they are quick to use CS to address the issues for customers. The AE platform has come a LONG way since the B4 that dominated for a decade.
Wow. That's interesting. Usually it's hard to get any sponsored driver to give an opinion like that I really need to learn to drive right-handed so I can try out other cars!
Old 01-06-2015, 09:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Except there is no indication the music will stop any time soon for durango. Search Amain for 210 parts. They're all in stock. That's a pretty good sign to me. Again, who's the blind one?
Old 01-06-2015, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bambambennett
TLR22
-Dislike the lean and hook of the RM, Using stiffer springs to eliminate causes the car to become inconsistent
-Really dislike the fact of a lot of extra money to invest to get the rear of the car to plant, this is caused from the crappy trans design putting the motor way too far forward in MM configuration
-Exotek or new TLR bell cranks are a must, the stock rack is crap
Have you owned the 22 2.0? It seems like all of your concerns were issues that were directly addressed with it over the original.
Old 01-06-2015, 10:40 AM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by fredswain
Have you owned the 22 2.0? It seems like all of your concerns were issues that were directly addressed with it over the original.
I have the new stuff...the car still dances around on power in stock. It is not as planted as the B5M out of the box.
Old 01-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by RC10Nick
Except there is no indication the music will stop any time soon for durango. Search Amain for 210 parts. They're all in stock. That's a pretty good sign to me. Again, who's the blind one?
I hope you're right. Good luck to you. It's definitely possible that I'm wrong but anyone thinking about going Durango should definitely do their research first. If they feel it's worth it, great. I just can't come to the same conclusion.

I still have a DEST210R. My TD fleet of 7 is now down to 1.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.