R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 09-28-2005, 06:24 PM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default Newbie Needs Help

Hi All,

I'm thinking about getting back in to RC'ing - not neccesarily competitive racing, but more serious than I was before. I'm leaning towards an electric buggy. I need some advice on what cars I should consider, batteries, motors, chargers, radios, etc. Keeping in mnd that I want something that I COULD race with if I wanted to make a few upgrades to it.

All help is much appreciated.
simmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 06:35 PM   #2
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Platinum_Racing

A good car that has potential is the Duratrax BX buggy. It has aluminum threaded shock bodies, and a pretty good stance. It is a good car but still designed more for bashing, so it's durable.

Some other good choices are the Team Assocaited RC10B4 and the Team Losi XXX-BK2. The BK2 and the Factory Team B4 are kits, but Associated offers a RTR version. I don't think Losi offers a RTR XXX-B but you can always get one off the for sale forum, and if that doesn't work eBay is bound to have one.

The undergod of the bunch is the Traxxas Bandit. Mine is pretty good, but it takes A LOT of work to make them into something worth driving on a competative level. Check it out at www.TeamPlatinumRacing.com/Bandit.html
Platinum_Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
Tech Adept

I'm in favour of the B4, I have got a few now and parts seem to be readily available anywhere almost. It has a good background for help and assistance and the method you buy it is varied. You can get the RTR SE brand new for only a small amount more than the Factory edition and it seems to have all the factory parts included. Other options are the kits themselve as previously stated or 2nd hand cars which send fairly cheaply.
Samma3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 05:52 AM   #4
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the replies - Now, how about radios, chargers, batteries, motors - I'm not looking to start out with a competition ready car, but something that will be fast and fun...probably working with a $400USD budget..

Last edited by simmracing; 09-29-2005 at 09:36 AM.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:59 AM   #5
Tech Adept

What currency are you using?

You can prolly get a B4 RTR SE and some batteries and an average chargers for $400 or so in American pesos
Samma3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2005, 09:44 AM   #6
Tech Rookie

SO, I;m going with the RC10B4 RTR SE. It does not come with a battery, charger or radio batteries. What brand and voltage battery would you reccomend given that I am not racing right away so I want something thats a decent life and lightweight.

Also, for the radio - not sure what radio comes with the RTR package, but I'd like rechargables for that as well - suggestions?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:52 PM   #7
Tech Master

Send a message via MSN to Team Duratrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmracing
SO, I;m going with the RC10B4 RTR SE. It does not come with a battery, charger or radio batteries. What brand and voltage battery would you reccomend given that I am not racing right away so I want something thats a decent life and lightweight.

Also, for the radio - not sure what radio comes with the RTR package, but I'd like rechargables for that as well - suggestions?
Battery - GP3300 from www.hyperform-racing.com ($38 each assembled)
Charger - MRC959 Superbrain from http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAVN1&P=7 ($45)

Sean
Team Duratrax is offline   Reply With Quote