Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
X Factory 2015:  We Made Mid-Motor Work >

X Factory 2015: We Made Mid-Motor Work

X Factory 2015: We Made Mid-Motor Work

Old 03-31-2015, 11:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Paul showing everyone how its done last weekend!!

http://www.rcnews.net/2015/03/31/x-f...winter-champs/

Go Cube!!!
Old 03-31-2015, 08:19 PM
Tech Elite

To be honest, we struggle against the inane idea that whatever is the latest must be the greatest. Most of the time it is not.

From what we can see, many companies who have introduced MM buggies over the past year have had an X - 6 Squared in their engineering room. Either that or they have tried to do this all on their own. Either way, we released the X - 6 Cubed about 18 months ago, a generation ahead of the Squared, so their recent designs are still catching up.

The B5M is certainly much better than the B4 -- almost any MM car would be. However, we introduced MM and made it work, then have improved our original design twice. The Cube is the first off-road car we know of where the chassis flex is totally controllable by the driver. Not only can you adjust where in the chassis the car flexes, you can control how much.

On an aluminum chassis, first there is very little flex, and you have virtually no control over where it flexes or how much. Of course you probably won't know when it tweaks, and it will tweak. A carbon fiber chassis (We make all our CF parts here in Ohio.) will break before it tweaks, and we don't know of a single CF chassis we've ever made that has broken.

Paul constantly experiments with new ideas. As the engineer that's most of his job. He's been running the new arms for a while now; there are certain features of how the car behaves that he likes, but he's not certain it's any faster.

That's the long answer to the questions above. The short answer is that we believe the Cubed is faster than a B5M with an Infinity CF chassis.

At Cactus Alex Krieg ran the Infinity car and certainly proved all doubters wrong. Paul ran his Cubed in mod buggy. He didn't qualify as well as he wanted to, but ran away with the F main turning lap times that would have been competitive in the C or B. the vids are on our web site.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hi, I just want to check with you guys before buying. I am going to replace the outdrive in my X6cubed, can I use ae1766 outdrive or must I get the one's stated in the manual which are ae 7667 and 7668. Thanks.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

you can use the lightened 1766 outdrives.
Old 04-08-2015, 04:43 PM
Tech Champion

Finally got the Cube wired the way I have wanted for a long time....

Old 04-08-2015, 06:49 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Are the motor wires under the battery? Looks really good
Old 04-09-2015, 06:39 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Neverstop View Post
Are the motor wires under the battery? Looks really good
Yes motor wires and sensor wire are under the battery.
Old 04-10-2015, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

How'd you manage that?
Old 04-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Tech Elite

Paul is in the invite class at the Reedy-style race this weekend at the R/C Clubhouse in Detroit. He did well in the first two races, with a fourth and a second, then fell off a bit in race three and four, then won his race on the last round. So, at the end of the 2WD portion, Paul lies 9th on 13 points; all four guys just ahead of him are tied on 12, so he's just one point out of 5th. Looking forward to 4WD on Sunday,
Old 04-12-2015, 05:18 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
How'd you manage that?
Do tell
Old 04-12-2015, 12:47 PM
Tech Elite

After three (out of 5) races Sunday, Paul has a second and two thirds, so he's looking good to move up.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Tech Regular

After wanting to for a long time, I finally got myself a cubed. With the outdoor season coming up, I'm looking for a starting setup. I'll be racing at pitstop hobbies. Green or black rips up front. Flipouts or holeshots during the day, then handlebars or something similar after the sun goes down. All in super soft or green. Gearing is around 22/78 for mod. If that gives a good idea of size. My Bm is dialed. Would copying the setup from that work? Or is the geometry and weight distribution just so different thy I need to keep them independent of each other?
Thanks in advance. Super excited to finally have my own. Got to drive one last year... Unlike anything else.
Old 04-13-2015, 08:10 PM
Tech Elite

Paul's Cubed was very good at most of our Ohio and Michigan outdoor tracks last summer and fall, and the set-up is in the Cubed library on our site.

http://www.xfactoryrc.com/rc/pdfs/Se...e-Outdoors.pdf

These tracks are mostly yellow clay or sandy. All need water often during the day, and flip-outs are often the rule. The sandy ones use goose-bumps and we get many rooster-tail pix from them -- see the top pic on our FB page. Most of the tracks are 1/8 scale tracks, and the big car classes are always running during our races, so the tracks are rough. Check out some of the videos from THE Track or StateLine R/C.

http://www.xfactoryrc.com/rc/Videos-Races.php

This should get you close.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:38 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by YoungChazz View Post
How'd you manage that?
Sorry everyone - its been a busy week. I tried to take a picture but it was kind of hard to show.

First, I am running the new ProTeck 3200 "little" shorty. This battery is about 1/3 the height of most shorty packs. This gave me the idea that I could simply run the wires under the pack.

Next, I used TQ Wire 13ga wire, which is roughly the size of typical 14ga wire, but with more internal wire to carry current.

Finally, the Viper flat sensor wire was used to keep the wire on the chassis under the battery.

There is also a piece of foam (with a sticky back) that are put on either end to keep the battery level with the wire.

Ultimately it makes for a cool install, don't really think its ultimately a performance gain, but it looks cool.
Old 04-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Will the new truck chassis ship with the needed side stiffeners?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.