Wiki Posts
Search

kyosho electric offroad

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 08:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Tires and wheels

I just purchased a ZX-5 and now am looking into purchasing some spare tires and wheels.
If you guys would please inform me on what tires I need to purchase and where along with the wheels for the buggy.
Also what else do I need as spares or options I know of the front aluminim brace (where do I get it) and what else is there please?

James
Old 03-20-2006, 11:06 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

mremtr- I sent you a PM, I'm looking to get ahold of a Aluminum Hinge Pin Brace for the last round of the RC Pro series in two weeks. Do you know when you will have another batch of braces?

Congrats to Mark P. for his results at Cactus, very unfortunate the mains got rained out.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:09 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Ben,

I wont speak for Keith (mretmr), but I believe there will be no more braces coming out of www.glowplug.com

With Speedtech and Kyosho getting in the game, it was time to jump ship.

Check with Bob at www.Evolutionhobbies.com, he still has some left and they are authentic glowplug braces.

good luck in the Pro Series!

-Doug
Old 03-20-2006, 12:47 PM
Tech Initiate

The car worked great all weekend. I have not ran the car since the worlds and I was really happy with the way the production car worked all week and weekend long. I have forward the settup info to Ben to post. It is almost stock settup to be honest. I did try a few other settups and ended up back to close to stock.
Old 03-20-2006, 01:19 PM
Tech Adept

I love my ZX-5...got to drive it for the first time, man it is addictive. I've never run 4wd open before as I'm mainly a nitro MT/Arena Truck guy.

I would like to see the front knuckle carriers made from aluminum...any plans?
Old 03-20-2006, 02:55 PM
Tech Addict

Hey, good to hear Mark!

SOOO, being an 1/8th scale guy with Fioroni as your sponsor, cant you geet them to make some of the parts people are requesting for the zx-5?

i.e.

c-hubs
knuckles
rear hub carriers
hingepin braces for all locations/degrees
steering linkage
steering posts
etc.

These would be an awesome addition to the Fioroni linup! WE JUST NEED YOU MARK to make it happen!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just got a new ZX-5 from my LHS and have a few questions,

Is there any way to tell if you have the new updated parts for someone who has only seen the ones that are included in the kit?

Are the Kit wheels dyeable?

Do the new updated parts cover all problems or is theere any other parts that need to be changed?

Are the new or old parts composite, if not has anyone tried boiling them?

And lastly, any recomendations on what screw kit to get to replace those darned philips heads?
Old 03-20-2006, 04:46 PM
Company Representative

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Is there any way to tell if you have the new updated parts for someone who has only seen the ones that are included in the kit? I don't think kits have the NEW parts as of yet, but should soon...But, not 100%

Are the Kit wheels dyeable? YES

Do the new updated parts cover all problems or is theere any other parts that need to be changed? MOST of them, I still ike the alum. front brace.

Are the new or old parts composite, if not has anyone tried boiling them?

Yes, it does soften them a little...

And lastly, any recomendations on what screw kit to get to replace those darned philips heads?

Tonys Screws ROCK!
Old 03-20-2006, 05:02 PM
Tech Master

Hi Mark,

was your car the same chassis as the one at the worlds or was it a new production one built for the classic?
Old 03-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Tech Regular

Mark that's great news about using a basicly stock set-up WAY COOL !
I'll talk to you at the SilverState in a few weeks if you don't mind a little company ? I might even bring you a present
Ben check your PM ok ?
And CW Or Dougy as we all know you by , you need to stop smashing into things ,Danny and I had absolutely no troubles Sunday ,and it was COLD in there too. Heck Danny even jumped and landed right on top of my buggy and nothing happened ! We were the fastest 2 there and my car was definately the smoothest through the rough stuff . So all those metal parts I don't think are nessesary
Old 03-20-2006, 07:30 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SpeedyPenguin
I second that, Tonys Screws are the way to go! Its a very through kit and the grade of steel he uses is the strongest I have seen in an rc screw kit.
Old 03-20-2006, 08:20 PM
Tech Addict

"So all those metal parts I don't think are nessesary "

Bah.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:00 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I've had two outings now with my ZX-5. So far it's been working out really well. There's a couple of things I've found that need to be checked before running heats / mains:

Front knuckles / blocks: Check the king pins and ball studs, if they are ever overtightened they will back themselves out during your runs. Left unchecked will lead to them breaking. Is the plastic too soft on the knuckles?

Steering rack: Haven't figured this one out yet, seems after one run the rack gets fairly loose. Before the next race I'm going to try the flanged bearings to see if that helps. Some disassembly required to tighten up the rack bolts.

Rear hubs: So far haven't broken them but noticed a hairline crack under the ballstud on one. Just need to check that the ballstuds haven't backed out here too.

I've put these parts on the car: Aluminum front hinge pin brace, shooters aluminum shock tower mounts front / rear, AE turnbuckles, kyosho aluminum hex hubs, rear cvds. Only broken part so far has been a front hub and that was due to me coming off a double wrong wheel first into a pipe.

Does anyone know if kyosho sells or will sell replacement parts for the CVDs? I'm thinking down the road where the pins might flatten out or the bone gets bent in a crash and needs to be replaced. I'd hate to have to spend $40 to by a whole new pair.

My car:
Attached Thumbnails kyosho electric offroad-kyosho-zx-5.jpg  
Old 03-21-2006, 07:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by aaronb73
Steering rack: Haven't figured this one out yet, seems after one run the rack gets fairly loose. Before the next race I'm going to try the flanged bearings to see if that helps. Some disassembly required to tighten up the rack bolts.
The stock 2.5mm locknuts don't seem to stay in place very well. If you haven't lost yours yet, just use some loctite on them. If you have, just get some normal 2.5mm nuts (DuBro makes them and most hobby shops have a DuBro rack) and loctite them in place. Considering how difficult it is to tighten those nuts on the car, it's worth it.
Old 03-21-2006, 08:39 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by aaronb73
I've had two outings now with my ZX-5. So far it's been working out really well. There's a couple of things I've found that need to be checked before running heats / mains:

Front knuckles / blocks: Check the king pins and ball studs, if they are ever overtightened they will back themselves out during your runs. Left unchecked will lead to them breaking. Is the plastic too soft on the knuckles?

Rear hubs: So far haven't broken them but noticed a hairline crack under the ballstud on one. Just need to check that the ballstuds haven't backed out here too.

I've put these parts on the car: Aluminum front hinge pin brace, shooters aluminum shock tower mounts front / rear, AE turnbuckles, kyosho aluminum hex hubs, rear cvds. Only broken part so far has been a front hub and that was due to me coming off a double wrong wheel first into a pipe.

Does anyone know if kyosho sells or will sell replacement parts for the CVDs? I'm thinking down the road where the pins might flatten out or the bone gets bent in a crash and needs to be replaced. I'd hate to have to spend $40 to by a whole new pair.

My car:
Great info! As far at the steering rack loosening, I would just make sure you loctite everything that screws together metal to metal. With that method, I have yet to have anything loosen up. I will be sure to start checking those ballstuds and kingpins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.