kyosho electric offroad >

kyosho electric offroad

kyosho electric offroad

Old 01-27-2006, 11:36 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default braces

Hi all,

Just wanted to say that the braces are on Ebay as well as from Keith...this way will just reach more people than on Tech.

check it out! The pics are nice too.

-Doug (crimewave_woot!)
Old 01-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

in reply to the brushless talk...ya, I have the 6.5R and it is a dream. Set your slipper loose though or it'll do wheelies.

I have it set up with minimal drag brake, which is good if you have the one-way front diff in it. I have my car setup now with the front diff and center shaft one-way and it turns in on a dime. We have also been experimenting with adding one more set of holes on the rear shock tower, inside of the inner most hole, to give the car more steering and allow the brushless to make more power out of a urn without spinning out.
Old 01-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Tech Addict

Killer89,
I haven't tried the carbon composite shock towers yet, but I really don't think they are necessary. The car is super light, the plastic is very durable, and it is relatively stiff. Carbon composite will break more easily (can't imagine it paired with an aluminum mount!) and you don't really need to lose anymore weight with this car. Ask Kenshu on this forum. Ask him how much weight he had to ADD to his car to make it legal! Secondly, this car is very durable. It DOES NOT just break if you are driving it! I know people here have had some breaking issues with this car, but they have to be hitting things.... hard. I have no problem going day in and day out racing this car and having it be in one piece at the end of the day. All the parts are of top quality construction. I've probably had my buggy here longer than anybody with the exception of Oople. All my arms are still tight on the car and everything works very smoothly. Only my rear axles are showing lots of wear. The dogbones are just fine and the diff outdrives are still in great shape.

Tony, good to hear that A-main has got parts for the ZX-5 as well. With the popularity of this car continually growing, the usual ZX-5 stores kept running out of stock quickly of parts. It's good to know we have another option.

DPbuggyboy, I bet with the standard diff setup and solid center shaft your buggy will push too much. I suggest trying out the 10 degree front hubs first. It'll tame your off-power steering for sure and it'll give you more on-power steering. If you don't have the 10 deg. hubs, you can change to a different kickup shim under the front bulkhead to change your caster. let us know how that carbon shaft works on your chassis. Show some pics.

foolio, if you can't get a hold of keith, I find it easier to get a hold of him on his forum at www.glowplug.com. This part is top notch and a definite upgrade to get. Kenshu here proved my theory last week when he crashed hard and only broke an A-arm. The brace was fine (obviously since it was aluminum) and his front bulkhead was protected in the crash.
Lastly, I changed over to the Novak GTB and 6.5 motor and will never go back to brushes again. All my cars will eventually get this treatment. I haven't pulled my motor from my car since installing it 3 weeks ago. Every time I put my car on the track, it goes just as fast as it did the time before. I'll probably do some bearing maintenance after this weekend, but that's it. The drag brake in the speedo helps a lot with making the car feel more like an electric car instead of a nitro car. I actually can't feel a difference between a brushed setup and the GTB in my ZX-5 when I changed over. The speed of the 6.5 is fantastic. It accelerates much faster than my 9x2 Fantom Vortec did and I can run for 9 1/2 minutes on a 3300! My old batts look like they are new when I run them with this system. It is well worth the money to at least try the system out. Better yet, if you dont like the brushless motor, you can always just hook up a brushed motor to the GTB. Anyways, here it is set up in my car:
Attached Thumbnails kyosho electric offroad-nickzx51.jpg   kyosho electric offroad-nickzx52.jpg  
Old 01-27-2006, 12:48 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Crim3Wav3, thanks for the tip about the braces on eBay. Just BIN'd one.

Laterilus, thanks for the info and the pics of your brushless setup. I am 95% on it now. Just gotta talk to the LHS and see what kind of deal I can get. Specifically, which one do you have?
Old 01-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 255 (100%+)

Its great to read that the vehicle is doing quite well and is having minimal issues. Kyosho really hit one over the fence by making the vehicle as competitive as it is for the price. Its a really good deal and hope this is a sign to other bigger names that there is money to be made doing a 4wd vehicle (take a hint AE) that doesn't break the bank.

Look forward to ready more race reports!
Old 01-27-2006, 01:02 PM
Tech Adept

i am running a 15t flash reedy motor
thanks for the help
cheston
Old 01-27-2006, 01:06 PM
Tech Addict

foolio, I have the 6.5. It's very fast. I see no need for the 5.5 in this car. I run the stock gearing (17T pinion w/ 78T spur) and it works great with this setup. You can't run the fan inside the ZX-5 body so I was nervous I'd run into thermaling problems. The motor doesn't get but a little warm and the speed control heat sink is usually 140 to 150 degrees F. Thermal shut down is 260 I believe, so you could probably gear it higher if you want more speed. the acceleration though at this gearing seems to be perfect. A tap of the throttle will lift it over jumps with ease compared to my setups I have in my 2WD cars. Granted, 4WD has that traction advantage, but this new motor has a lot to do with it.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:18 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Does the b4 factory team turnbuckle kit fit the lazer?
Old 01-27-2006, 06:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

I don't know about the ae kit,
but I used 2 1.750" and 4 2.00" from lunsford.
Dayton
Old 01-27-2006, 06:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by memyselfandI
Does the b4 factory team turnbuckle kit fit the lazer?
looking.... looking..... looking....

ummm, I'd say no. I think the steering buckles off the B4 are too short, and the rears are also to short to fit comfortably on the ZX-5. you could probably get them started, but I doubt there'd be much threaded in to ball cup once you got the caster and steering set right.

I just went to the LHS and bought individual lengths. I couldn't even tell you what lenghts I bought. Just eyeballed the sizes, then went the next size bigger to get more turnbuckle threaded into the ball cup.
Old 01-27-2006, 06:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

They're exactly the same length (2"/50.8mm vs 50mm)...now if I can just find some 1-9/16 or 1-5/8 FT for the steering (40mm).

They come in a set of 6 for $25...so you have two left over. I might try and see if I can trim them down a bit.
Attached Thumbnails kyosho electric offroad-rcstuff.jpg  
Old 01-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

The AE b4 turnbuckles fit perfect, but, you need to trim the inner steering ones by about a centimeter on each side. If you don't, the turnbuckles will push through the ball cap.
Old 01-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 79 (100%+)

Ben,
How's that planet setup coming along?
My self and 1 other guy with a zx-5 from up here will be there next weekend, and possibly one other.
Dayton
Old 01-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Tech Fanatic

I appear to have been overuled!
Old 01-28-2006, 12:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I was just looking at the front vs. rear gearboxes...it looks like you could pretty easily use the front bulkhead on the rear by adding a couple 2mm spacers at the rear. The uppers are the same...the mounts for the front would just hang out in space, but they wouldn't be in the way.

Anyone else notice this?

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service