Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
kyosho electric offroad >

kyosho electric offroad

kyosho electric offroad

Old 10-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Mark P
It is exciting to see the intrest everyone is expressing towards the Kyosho vehicles. As far as the 2wd I will be going to Japan in a few weeks for the Kyosho 1/8 Masters race and also seeing how the 2wd is coming along. There is no definite date at this time for this project but it is coming along.
Mark, how does the ZX-5 compare performance-wise to the latest 4wd buggies you have driven? I'm mainly wondering how it compares to a BJ4. I wanted to get a BJ4, but I'm very intrigued by the new Kyosho.
Old 10-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Tech Initiate

In all honesty both cars are very good. The durability of the Kyosho is a little better though. Also the Kyosho car is alot more adjustable than the BJ4 car. It's really drivers preference.
Old 10-29-2005, 05:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

I went TQ and win over the regional champion (who was running a BJ4) and this was the first time I put the ZX5 on the track!!! The ZX5 is totally dialed!! The main advantages are, like Mark said, durability and suspension travel. The ZX5 jumps and takes rough way better than the BJ4. I'm sold on Kyosho and will convert in 2WD as soon as it is released!! Great job on this car Mark!!
Old 10-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Tech Addict

It definately seems to ride the rough better than a BJ4, my first time out i was on pace also.
Bj4 definately has some advantages if you run a B4 as well, but hopefully the new Kyosho 2wd will sort that out.
Old 10-29-2005, 10:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

oople - Kudos on your great reviews! Glad to see another serious 4WD kit hit the market!

Mark P - Have you had a chance to read the introduction of the Lazer ZX-5 on the Kyosho site?! From a marketing and first impression's standpoint, it could use some polishing.

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/web/products...ser_zx5-e.html

Best of luck in Japan! By the way, will we be seeing more of Jeremy Kortz racing electric since he did quite well (considering he doesn't really race electric) at the Worlds in Italy? Thanks!
Old 10-30-2005, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

did a quick review of some carbon fibre hop ups from Atomic Carbon.
Top deck and both shock towers.

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/zx5/atomiczx5.html
Old 10-30-2005, 06:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by oople
did a quick review of some carbon fibre hop ups from Atomic Carbon.
Top deck and both shock towers.

http://www.oople.com/rc/photos/zx5/atomiczx5.html

Once again a top review
Old 10-30-2005, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The LAZER ZX-5 made the cover of the December issue of R/C Car where they did a decent review on it and tested Kortz's own Lazer at the Hot Rod track in Saugus.

I'm very glad to see back-to-back EP 4WDs on the covers of R/C Car (X-5 and Lazer)! Magz having a Monster Truck on the cover almost every time gets old really fast (though apparently those are the magz that sell best )
Old 10-31-2005, 06:37 AM
Tech Addict

The ZX-5 is really picking up here in my area so far. I'm in St. Louis, MO and just raced the IL state championship this past weekend. 4 ZX-5's were racing including my own. As many here have stated already, one of the first things everyone watching the races noticed was how well the car handled the bumps and jumps. Kyosho NAILED this suspension! I am extremely pleased with the performance of this car. Seriously, I can't think of any other off-road electric car I can drive this aggressively, yet still maintain control... especially over the jumps. With only my second race on this car I was able to pull off the fastest lap of the weekend and take 2nd place over all against 7 other BJ4s... one of which was driven by an extremely talented pro racer in the area (He was the one that won the race).

So many people have complained over the past few years that 4WD off-road electric isn't popular due to its high price; well, at approximately 300$, this buggy comes packed with everything you need right out of the box! All the racer parts are included with very little that can be upgraded. Just to let everyone know, this race last weekend was ROAR sanctioned so all cars had to run through tech. Surprisingly enough, the Kyosho is extremely light! I've only changed out my screws for the titanium kit offered by speedtech and my car was EXACTLY the minimum weight allowed by ROAR! This is something that Losi nor JConcepts can say about their cars... In fact, the other ZX-5's racing needed to add weight to their cars to get them up to spec. One of which was still running the stock steel screws! Just some food for thought for any of you looking to get this car and running the very small speed controls and receivers. Just getting the titanium screw set or turnbuckles can easily drop you under weight!

I've also been very pleased with the durability of the car so far, but I'm still concerned about the front pivot brace. It really needs to be addressed. I personally made it through my weekend without breaking one, but I saw two others break again. I hope Kyosho has one in the works right now. All of us ZX-5 owners right now are looking to the local R/C machine shop guy to fabricate one so that they stop breaking!

Mark, keep up the good work at Kyosho. Definitely keep up the progress on the 2WD. That class desperately needs another contender! I'd be first in line to try out the 2WD after running ZX-5.
Old 10-31-2005, 06:55 AM
Tech Addict

My car was a bit over minimum weight, but i put that down to excessive wiring which i needed to keep to run in my b4, and heavy spray can paintwork.
Its definately a light car.
If I airbrushed a shell up and re-did the wiring it would easily be underweight.

A friends zx5 using similar esc etc, is just over minimum weight with ti turnbuckles but the stock steel screws.

It definately rides the bumps well, I was surprised how good the car was, I was expecting something very average and I'm glad I was proved wrong.
we have some bumpy tracks in the UK and i'll look forward to seeing how it does in the nationals next year.
Old 10-31-2005, 09:39 PM
Tech Addict

Hey Oople , when you say you are using Associated springs i'm assuming F/R buggy springs for the F/R of the ZX5.
Only reason i ask is because i have a full set of Associated buggy front springs and would only need rears , this saves me from having to buy a full set of Kyosho springs which are costly.
Old 11-01-2005, 02:14 AM
Tech Addict

Yes im using Associated springs on the zx5.
I'll put up some photos of how i tried to centralize the springs, the springs are thinner than the kyosho ones, so wont go over the threaded collar, but i put a small 45 degree edge on the bottom of the adjusters so the spring sits over that to centralize it and stop it rubbing on the threads of the body..

the kit springs are probably fine for dirt tracks, maybe with just an oil chainge to thicker stuff, but we generally have more grip over here and the car is too wallowy.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:03 AM
Tech Addict

Thanks mate , i can picture what you did with the collars so the springs would centralize

What colour Kyosho springs come in the kit .
Old 11-01-2005, 03:59 AM
Tech Addict

They are silver, ive not seen any others so im not even sure they are different colours etc..
Aparently kyosho make 1 harder front and 2 harder rear springs, and a bunch of softer ones for front and rear.
Old 11-01-2005, 04:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

The Kyosho springs in the kit are Silver (70lb) all the way around.
Light yellow option are 65lb
dark yellow option are 60lb
red are 55lb
green are 68lb
and blue 75lb (pretty sure)

I found the car a little on the springy side so I run thicker oil 45 front 35 rear (thinking about 50 front 40 rear) with 65 front springs and 60lb rear springs.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service