R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Losi vs Traxxas vs Associated Rally Cars (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/853794-losi-vs-traxxas-vs-associated-rally-cars.html)

GoremanX 12-26-2014 07:29 AM

Losi vs Traxxas vs Associated Rally Cars

I'm planning to get a rally RC in the very near future. I've narrowed it down to the following 1/10 choices:

- Losi TEN Rally-X
- Traxxas Rally VXL
- Team Associated Pro Rally

There are no serious hobby shops near me, so checking any of these out for myself before buying is not an option. I've watched videos and read reviews for all 3 of those models, but that didn't really help me decide. I'm not terribly familiar with the RC scene, so I'm not sure if there are any benefits to one brand over another as far as customization, available parts, aftermarket options, etc. Specifically, different wheel/tire options would be nice to accommodate different terrain, but I'm a tinkerer at heart so something with a lot of possibilities would be preferred.

I'd appreciate any and all opinions to help me decide :)

mblgjr 12-26-2014 08:11 AM

Of the 3; the Losi would be my pick by a mile.

The Traxxas would be 2nd only given that theres fair parts support etc.

But the Losi is basically the same as the 4w SCT truck. Being a scaled down version of a 1/8 scale, theyre very tough and drive really well. It offers parts and tuning whereas the other two are just "toys" in comparison.

Drift_Buggy 12-26-2014 01:59 PM

Losi would be the pick. Much better platform and parts/hopups are interchangeable with other Losi kits.

GoremanX 12-26-2014 09:36 PM

Thanks for the quick replies :) I guess I was leaning towards the Losi already. This just reinforces it.

Are there other options I should be considering in the rally car range of similar size?

Drift_Buggy 12-26-2014 10:32 PM

Tamiya would do a few kits and then there is also the HPI WR8 Flux which however is larger than the standard 1/10 size.

GoremanX 12-27-2014 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by Drift_Buggy (Post 13743042)
Tamiya would do a few kits and then there is also the HPI WR8 Flux which however is larger than the standard 1/10 size.

Actually the kits I listed above are all based on a 1/7 chassis, even though they call them 1/10 kits. So they're all slightly bigger than the HPI WR8 Flux 1/8. Not that size ultimately matters that much in this case, I'm just looking for maximum fun :) That HPI build looks pretty darn interesting, but I'm not terribly fond of licensed bodies. Seems like I end up paying extra just for a fancy shape.

edit: having said that, the Tamiya Lancia Delta Integrale looks pretty damn sweet as far as the body goes. Maybe I'm just not a Ford fan...

FlyF1sher 01-28-2016 05:53 PM

I reviewed and reviewed and studied and studied.
I finally decided on the team associated pro rally
I think it's just a better car

FlyF1sher 01-31-2016 07:25 PM

well well well...
so now i've had a chance to run 1 whole battery through my ProRally and i have had a change of toon...my Team Associated ProRally has some deficient electronics. The reverse doesn't work and the radio sucks. Car is nice
so that being said i think i'd go with the Traxxas

FlyF1sher 02-05-2016 11:53 AM

OK...new update.
I talked to AE and went to my LHS and both said the same thing and showed me the correct way to operate the reverse....yep i was doing it wrong.
Things are up and running and i'm having a blast with it.

I'd like to upgrade the shocks but not sure which way to go. I know AE offers an after market shock for this car but i'm not sure they are what i want.

Any idea what other shocks will work? The ProLine Power Stroke ones look pretty cool