Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Bump ups: Good or bad? >

Bump ups: Good or bad?

Bump ups: Good or bad?

Old 12-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)
Default Bump ups: Good or bad?

Many of the tracks that I go to now offer bump ups in the mains. Finish in the top 2 and you get to run in the next higher main. It's done for local club racing and trophy races.

Lately, I've seen a few people take the bump up challenge where they skip qualifying and climb as high as they can in the mains. I have mixed feeling on this as they are technically just playing by the rules but it sucks if you are in a lower main and a normal A Main driver just drops in on your main. I think bump ups are a great new twist that wasn't around when I raced as a kid though.

I've gotten past the point where hardware means much to me but I watch as guys in the lower main are frustrated when this occurs. The driver in the #1 spot suddenly isn't very confident and starts hoping just to finish #2 in their main.

I guess I'm happy with it during a club race but anything bigger shouldn't have them. I have seen a race where bumps were only allowed in the B main and below. I'm happy with that too.

What do you guys think about bump ups?
Old 12-17-2014, 10:33 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I've never heard of the bump up challenge thing. That's shameful.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Tech Elite

That's what I'm calling it. It's usually because they're busy and couldn't make the qualifiers and not really doing it as a test. I think sometimes they do like the challenge of it if they do get there late though.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Interesting view points.... but what if someone has something going on and can't make it to track until the Mains or broke something each time out during qualifying. As long as they paid their race fee don't see an issue with it. I've seen good drivers have bad days qualifying and try bumping back up and sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't.

A few years back I watched a driver have the worst qualifying day ever and started bottom of Dmain and he managed to bump into the Amain and win.... so is that shameful then.... To me it all comes down to your driving skills and your car setup.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:53 AM
Tech Elite

True, that's why I have mixed feelings about it. I do feel like qualifying should mean something though.

We all have bad breaks or bad runs and bump ups are a nice way for that not to ruin your day.

I just think it's funny when a local fast guy walks out with like 5 trophies for the various mains.
Old 12-17-2014, 10:57 AM
Tech Master

Now last year at a trophy race we did put a pot together for the Amain TQ to drop down to the lowest main and was up to him if he wanted to accept. Everyone at the track agreed with it and no issues. He accepted and had to drop down to last position in the Dmain in 2w Buggy. He made it mid-way thru Bmain, so he lost out on the money and lost out on a very nice trophy too and overall points for the points series.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:01 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by shagino View Post
True, that's why I have mixed feelings about it. I do feel like qualifying should mean something though.

We all have bad breaks or bad runs and bump ups are a nice way for that not to ruin your day.

I just think it's funny when a local fast guy walks out with like 5 trophies for the various mains.
But if he's running those classes, spent hours at practice days, has his call dialed in and has good drivers skills, is that his fault.... NO.

IMO means more people need to be at practice nights throwing down laps and fine tuning their cars.

Our practice night is Tuesdays and we race Saturdays and I typically throw down 150-200 laps on both 4w buggy and my Ebuggy. If I walk out with trophies for those Mains, then they are deserved cause I put in my time and setup my car to out race all the others.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:06 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Shagino, I know exactly what you are talking about as I saw it happen last weekend at Leisure ours for the Illinois State race. I can see how one might think its a bad thing that someone may take it as a challenge upon themselves to not qualify and climb up the lower mains. Personally I think it is a real challenge, because even if you are faster than everyone else there are so many obstacles and traffic and lots of opportunity to screw up and not make it to the A main. That being said, I can also see it from the other point of view where if I am trying to work my way up and I am not the fastest person at the track and am trying to make the A main by bumping up, I feel that there is only 1 bump spot left because I assume the really fast person will take the 1 spot automatically. This may make me feel a bit salty, but at the same time, if the really fast person was there the whole time, they would have out qualified me to begin with and I would just be another position further back.
My final standpoint on this is if they paid to race, they can do it how they wish and they can run the risk of mechanical failure, or crashing, or not bumping just like anyone else can. Although I think that the majority of the times this may happen it is because of initial mechanical issues, or a very late arrival to the track.
If it becomes enough of an issue that people complain about it then the local organizers can make a rule where there are no late entries, or you must take the start of at least 2 of 3 heats to be qualified into any main, or else no mains for you.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:42 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

I've noticed this in motoxross also. Less skilled people are always very critical of people that may possess more skill. Why not focus on your own race and setup, and not worry about others?

I recently didn't qualify well and bumped to the A main, I was happy that bumps were available for me!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I don't have a problem with it. Some of the fastest guys around here do it to get more practice with passing, and in traffic. They don't drive like hacks so it's not like they are hurting someone else's race.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:47 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by lpspeed2 View Post
Personally I think it is a real challenge, because even if you are faster than everyone else there are so many obstacles and traffic and lots of opportunity to screw up and not make it to the A main.
I agree, I actually think it's awesome to watch and it's definitely no gimme. So many things can go wrong. I just don't think bump up were intended to be used this way.

Originally Posted by snwchris View Post
But if he's running those classes, spent hours at practice days, has his call dialed in and has good drivers skills, is that his fault.... NO.

IMO means more people need to be at practice nights throwing down laps and fine tuning their cars.
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Less skilled people are always very critical of people that may possess more skill. Why not focus on your own race and setup, and not worry about others?
This is not a question of skill. I personally care less if I bump or not. I do care about seeing drivers dismiss the excitement of a main because of it though.

Like I said, I have mixed feelings on it.
Old 12-17-2014, 11:49 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bump Ups are not new. It has been around since I was racing Tamiya Frogs in 1986!
The bump up was designed for the guy who may have had some bad luck during their qualifiers (broke down, got caught up in a pile ups, poor turn marshalling, etc). I am no longer an A-main driver like in the late 80's-90's, but it is exciting running a B-Main with the hopes of maybe bumping up. Places a little more pressure on the outcome, because only the top 3 in the "A" main get trophies/money/Awards.

But a "bump up challenge" is bunk. If you do not race a qualifier you do not qualify, simple!
Old 12-17-2014, 11:50 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

...if the really fast person was there the whole time, they would have out qualified me to begin with and I would just be another position further back.
This is along the lines of what I was thinking. Sometimes being late or having a bad night of qualifying just happens.

On the other hand, if it's a trophy race and someone's sandbags just to be able to race slower drivers and collect trophies, knowing they can keep bumping up. Well, that I have a problem with.

Maybe a 1 main bump up limit? If you win C you can bump up to B, but not go onto to A.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 38 (100%+)

I don't have a issue with bump ups but around here if you bump you don't get the trophy third place gets first place trophy and so on unless you choose not to take the bump. Everyone has a couple bad runs now and then weather its missing the setup or just wrecking so I think they are a good thing to have. It also gives the lower mains something to race for making the races more exciting.
Old 12-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

, if the really fast person was there the whole time, they would have out qualified me to begin with and I would just be another position further back.
exactly.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.