Search
Like Tree104Likes

Yokomo YZ-4

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 06:12 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Davidka
Not true. Under load, belt is more efficient.

Think about it- in a shaft car, the power must make 2x 90* turns across ring/pinion gears that are trying to separate under load (this is also bad for ball diffs, though they run well).

Belt seems draggy on the work bench, but because the belt/pulley contact is smoother and everything rotates in the same direction, binding and friction don't meaningfully increase under load.

If belt cars were draggy, stock TC racing would still be dominated by shaft drive cars. At the recent Associated race in Wisconsin, 13.5 4wd was won by aSerpent SRX4 and several of the a-main cars were 22-4's. This race is as competitive as 13.5 off-road racing gets.
while this does have some truth to it - it's not totally true. all belt cars are not created equally. for instance the yz4 has an incredible amount of tension on one side of the belt. there is also more points of friction in a RC car belt system than a shaft driven. im sure either car type will work with stock. i just said i prefer shaft because overall they have less drag IMO - also in stock many times you want the car to coast very fast so you don't use much brakes you just coast through the corners and get back on the power smoothly. the belt car probably forces you to drive a rad more aggressively and not quite as smooth. this is subjective however.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Tech Regular

So if you buy the narrow belt kit does it have all the parts to get rid of the clicker as well?
Old 12-08-2016, 05:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rythby
So if you buy the narrow belt kit does it have all the parts to get rid of the clicker as well?
no. the narrow belt is just for the rear of the car.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

You will require 1 aluminum pulley and 2 aluminum collars, thus 1 thin and 1 thick and pin. I have seen some use 2 thick collars thus 1 thick collar on each side.

You can also use the composite pulley, remove clicker sprocket and spring.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:27 PM
Tech Regular

No, but you can use one of the pulleys you swap out to replace the clicker.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:51 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lyons238
while this does have some truth to it - it's not totally true. all belt cars are not created equally. for instance the yz4 has an incredible amount of tension on one side of the belt. there is also more points of friction in a RC car belt system than a shaft driven. im sure either car type will work with stock. i just said i prefer shaft because overall they have less drag IMO - also in stock many times you want the car to coast very fast so you don't use much brakes you just coast through the corners and get back on the power smoothly. the belt car probably forces you to drive a rad more aggressively and not quite as smooth. this is subjective however.
In kit form yes there is a fair bit of drag on the belts of the yz4. But this is easily remedied. Removing the shims from the diffs and loosening all of the tensioners off. Lastly adding the narrow belt. My car rolls very freely now. Better then any shaft car I jave had.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by robbie_gtc
In kit form yes there is a fair bit of drag on the belts of the yz4. But this is easily remedied. Removing the shims from the diffs and loosening all of the tensioners off. Lastly adding the narrow belt. My car rolls very freely now. Better then any shaft car I jave had.
i'd beg to differ. i know a bunch of people with yz4's and my xray def rolls more freely. i can't compare under load but def more free rolling off power.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:31 AM
Tech Regular

i'd beg to differ. i know a bunch of people with yz4's and my xray def rolls more freely. i can't compare under load but def more free rolling off power.
Its easy to confuse, "rolling freely" with a heavier rotating mass. Once the work has been done to get your vehicle up to speed, the heavier rotating mass of a shaft driven car will take more energy to slow whether that be friction of rolling resistance or the brakes. This is why a belt drive car feels a little more "snappy" under acceleration but by comparison will also slow quicker.
Old 12-09-2016, 06:45 AM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Piles
Its easy to confuse, "rolling freely" with a heavier rotating mass. Once the work has been done to get your vehicle up to speed, the heavier rotating mass of a shaft driven car will take more energy to slow whether that be friction of rolling resistance or the brakes. This is why a belt drive car feels a little more "snappy" under acceleration but by comparison will also slow quicker.
im talking about even just rolling the cars by hand mine rolls more freely, noticeably.

im not having a shaft vs belt competition here i like both. im just saying shaft cars roll more freely at least not under load. i can't confidently say a definitive for under load.
Old 12-09-2016, 09:40 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

im talking about even just rolling the cars by hand mine rolls more freely, noticeably.

im not having a shaft vs belt competition here i like both. im just saying shaft cars roll more freely at least not under load. i can't confidently say a definitive for under load.
Unless you are removing the pinion from each car and then rolling by hand you won't get a true feel for freeness(websters needs to add this rc'ism word)

Depending on motor magnet strength, gear mesh amongst other settings you will get different feel from the same cars. I have compared mine against some xray, tlr and AE buggies with the pinions removed. The 2 belt cars were free'er rolling. Imo.

Regardless I really enjoy this kit. Its a blast being one of only a few in the sea of tlr and ae.
Old 12-10-2016, 09:31 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

My YZ4's have tons of free roll. With and without the motor meshed to the spur.
eco8gator likes this.
Old 12-19-2016, 04:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

if belts were the way to go, wouldn't real cars and trucks have them instead of shafts....something to think about!
Old 12-28-2016, 02:04 PM
Tech Regular

For those of you that have eliminated the clicker. How are you putting the front together? Narrow flange on the inside, facing towards the gearbox, wide flange on the outside facing out ?
Old 12-28-2016, 02:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

yes
Old 01-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Tech Rookie

I saw talk and some pics of a new pivot style top deck Bezerk were playing with, but now I can't remember were I saw it. It doesn't seem to be in here.

Does anyone have any info on it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.