Like Tree104Likes

Yokomo YZ-4

Old 09-28-2015, 06:14 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Is it a belt-drive to front and rear geared transmissions? Kinda like the serpent rear transmission I guess.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:58 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

That was my first thought, but still says 2 belts....?

The Tamiya TA06 uses a rear gearbox and then 2 belts though...
Old 09-28-2015, 07:16 AM
Tech Regular

If you look through the front window of the car in the release statement there almost looks like a belt running off the centre line of the chassis, more to the right of the chassis. I'm guessing the car will have two belts running from the central spur gear and then to pulleys and a simple gear transmission at either end. I guess this way they could use the same diffs as the YZ2?
It'll be interesting to see it with the shell off though!
Old 09-28-2015, 07:27 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by cplus
Belt drive? Did I read that right??

When almost every other high end buggy is shaft (except the Tamiya, which has been abandoned) that is cool to see
Serpent spyder srx -4, TLR 22-4, and isnt Schumacher belt? Are those not "High end"?

I'm amazed how Yokomo can keep a secret. ..lol November release date? I can't wait either!
Old 09-28-2015, 09:04 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Badger5
If you look through the front window of the car in the release statement there almost looks like a belt running off the centre line of the chassis, more to the right of the chassis. I'm guessing the car will have two belts running from the central spur gear and then to pulleys and a simple gear transmission at either end. I guess this way they could use the same diffs as the YZ2?
It'll be interesting to see it with the shell off though!
Transmission of high driveline torques is the usual problem for belt durability. For the same given power you could reduce torque / belt force and increase belt speed by way of gearing at either end of the car. This principle is how WRC cars can use such lightweight prop shafts.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by AntH3000
Transmission of high driveline torques is the usual problem for belt durability. For the same given power you could reduce torque / belt force and increase belt speed by way of gearing at either end of the car. This principle is how WRC cars can use such lightweight prop shafts.
Had no issues with my K1 or KF with belt durability. True running belts at a higher speed will reduce torque but will also increase drag.
I think there will not be two much difference in the belt speeds to notice a difference but with a gearbox at either end it will allow the belt pulleys to be a good size and the spur will not need to be so big as a K1 which is one of this cars issues.
What will be interesting is what the direction of rotation the motor will be compared to the wheels, this makes a big difference to belt driven cars.

I will have to wait and see what this car will be like especially compared to the Schuey K2.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:46 AM
Tech Adept

Had no issues with my K1 or KF with belt durability. True running belts at a higher speed will reduce torque but will also increase drag.
I think there will not be two much difference in the belt speeds to notice a difference but with a gearbox at either end it will allow the belt pulleys to be a good size and the spur will not need to be so big as a K1 which is one of this cars issues.
What will be interesting is what the direction of rotation the motor will be compared to the wheels, this makes a big difference to belt driven cars.

I will have to wait and see what this car will be like especially compared to the Schuey K2.
Yep, good point. The 511 was same motor rotation direction as K1, I'm guessing that might influence things....
Old 09-28-2015, 08:21 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)

YZ-4 has adapted the new type of drive-train which enable to reduce the weakness of conventional type of belt drive and shaft drive car,
To me this says a complete different drive train than shaft or belt.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:03 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by teeforb
To me this says a complete different drive train than shaft or belt.
Then how do you think the drive is transmitted to the front and rear gearboxes/diffs?
It's already been confirmed the car is a two belt design, but I guess instead of going directly to the diffs like a Schumacher or TRF there is a small gearbox to drive each diff.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

Since the 22-4, assuming Serpent, and Kyosho ZX6 have slippers, this will have one as well? I much prefer ball diffs to gear diffs (had a b44.3, D413) and I like the adjustability and ease of maintenance of a ball diff. I hope its an option. As far as the belts themselves, if you can adjust tension with an insert type setup like the TLR car, your belts can last a long time if maintained correctly (same with a ball diff for that matter). Just picked up and ran my new YZ-2 and was so impressed that I will get this around my b-day time in December to replace my current (as in not even finished being built yet) D413. I'll be very interested to see how this car does on dirt. Was it run as a prototype at Cactus this year?
Old 09-29-2015, 12:32 AM
Tech Regular

Then how do you think the drive is transmitted to the front and rear gearboxes/diffs?
It's already been confirmed the car is a two belt design, but I guess instead of going directly to the diffs like a Schumacher or TRF there is a small gearbox to drive each diff.
That concerns mw a a bit. Extra bearings and moving parts and more revolving mass.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:01 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Could it be using belts on the sides like the last xFactory prototype?

And have the batery/motor layout of the losi JRXS without the short arms issues...

Or as mentionned earlier no belt in rear like serpent but one front...

Last edited by J@UNE; 09-29-2015 at 08:30 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 09:36 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Guys you're all looking too far.

Old 09-29-2015, 10:30 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Guys you're all looking too far.

Doubt that, it sure ain't no Schumacher!
Old 09-29-2015, 11:04 AM
Tech Adept

If it were assumed a single mesh in the gearboxes at either end, the motor would be rotating in the same direction as the K2 or Serpent. You'd think it would be mounted near the middle or ahead of the middle as per K2 too....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.