Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree485Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lexusbest
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1
  • Long specification for dirt Main chassis Inheriting the chassis cut of dirt specification, it is longer with the same wheelbase as CAL3.
  • Aluminum front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTM2B F2 body.
  • JConcepts ASTRO High Clearance 7inch Wing.
Features for the lastest specification YZ-2CAL3.1
  • Long specification main chassis for carpets. Long wheelbase that enables even higher speeds.
  • Steel front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTMBL S2 Lightweight body.
  • Z2-CAL2W LMR Wing.
Common features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1 / YZ-2CAL3.1
  • The conventional position and the position of the suspension arm pin 1 mm higher can be selected on the front and back of the front suspension mount.
  • Bulkhead integrated side plate with increased rigidity.
  • The kingpin position has been changed with the new steering hub carrier, the axle position has been lengthened by 1 mm, and a steering stopper has also been added.
  • Battery holder that is easy to adjust according to the height of the battery.
  • Separate the rear mount base and upper arm holder to increase the flex around the rear and improve traction.
  • Z2-018-5 5-hole shock mounting specification Rear shock tower.
  • S4-S1S 3.0mm shaft specification front shock.
  • S4-S1M 3.0mm shaft specification rear short shock.
  • S4-008R5B L5 / LD Rear suspension arm (Φ3.5 pin).
  • Z2-01069 Rear universal shaft (69mm bone).

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

CAL3 manual
DTM3 manual

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 06:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HotRod127
what all parts would i need to make this work on my car? thanks for the help
YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I

You also need to either drill the kit chassis or replace it with the revised one.

For the record, I haven't run this trans myself. I have friends who have, but most of them are using the standard trans raised 2mm, which is the setup that Ryan and Ryan have been running.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 AM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bob Barry
YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I

You also need to either drill the kit chassis or replace it with the revised one.

For the record, I haven't run this trans myself. I have friends who have, but most of them are using the standard trans raised 2mm, which is the setup that Ryan and Ryan have been running.
You can not run the Truck trans in the buggy!!!!
The rear arms will hit the spur gear. Thats why the new car wont come as quick. The rear arms have to be altered, like the truck ones.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:15 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

yes you can. you need to shave the arm. I forgot that part. Like I said, I never tried this myself, so I missed that step.
Cain likes this.
Old 02-12-2019, 02:50 AM
Tech Regular

Hi all, new to off road, been racing onroad 12th and TC for a couple of years. There is a second hand YZ2 available with 3 gear transmission, gear diff, gull wing arms etc.

I'll be driving on an outdoor Astro track. Is the CAL2 going to be that much better for me as a newbie or will the hopped up YZ2 be ok? the only thing drawing me to the older car other than the price is it also comes with an upright gear housing and ball diff in case I need those for low grip if I travel to a different track.

Thanks in advance
Old 02-12-2019, 05:26 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by antlockyer
Hi all, new to off road, been racing onroad 12th and TC for a couple of years. There is a second hand YZ2 available with 3 gear transmission, gear diff, gull wing arms etc.

I'll be driving on an outdoor Astro track. Is the CAL2 going to be that much better for me as a newbie or will the hopped up YZ2 be ok? the only thing drawing me to the older car other than the price is it also comes with an upright gear housing and ball diff in case I need those for low grip if I travel to a different track.

Thanks in advance
It sounds to me like the YZ2 your looking it is a CA? I think the original yz2 had the flat front arms, 4 gear, and a gear diff, and the CA had the gull arms, 3 gear and gear diff. I think the easiest way to tell might be the rear arms, if they have s4 stamped in them ( I think that was a ca change too), and if it has the gull wing shock tower up front, which I think you are supposed to use if using the gull arms.

Either way, as a newbie, I don't think you will see much difference, if a hopped up yz2, yz2 ca, or a cal2. Eventually you will want the ca or cal2, but you could also upgrade the parts along the way I think.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:48 AM
Tech Regular

Cool thank you. I've said I'll take it. I'll see how much use it gets and if I'm any good

Very excited I've not driven a buggy since the 80s
Old 02-17-2019, 01:32 PM
Tech Regular

Default Knightmare day

Well we just got eos carpet so the grip has jumped up a lot....never had a problem before but today did 2 sets of slipper pads had to use the original 3 pad set from the old yz2 due to not having any more spurs....
so had a bad set of runs....
anyway been trying 2 gears in the diff high capacity 6k not sure if I like it car used to be in the top finals now it feels like a bag of crap...used long wheelbase and moved the shims on the wishbone tried rp dirt orange and green but car don’t feel as good basically has lee martins daun and not sure but now car wouldn’t not steer how I like it
sort of wondering if it’s all down to running 2 gears and 6 k...
what does everyone think and what does it do by running 2 gears over 4...
thanks
Old 02-17-2019, 02:37 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 71 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Bob Barry

From the recent pics I have seen that go along with the setup sheets found on petit, that they are running the LD trans from the truck. Maifield 2019 CRCRC for example shows no rear chassis weight that comes standard with the DTM2, using steel RF block, truck steering linkage, etc. I can't make out if there are new rear arms or whether they are dremeled for clearance (or does raising the LD trans 2mm negate the need to dremel the arms?)

I think at this point the setups found online need to be taken with a grain of salt because they aren't the same cars as most of us are running.
Old 02-17-2019, 03:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by negatv1
From the recent pics I have seen that go along with the setup sheets found on petit, that they are running the LD trans from the truck. Maifield 2019 CRCRC for example shows no rear chassis weight that comes standard with the DTM2, using steel RF block, truck steering linkage, etc. I can't make out if there are new rear arms or whether they are dremeled for clearance (or does raising the LD trans 2mm negate the need to dremel the arms?)

I think at this point the setups found online need to be taken with a grain of salt because they aren't the same cars as most of us are running.
They are using a new laydown transmission case. It is Not the truck transmission. An easy way to tell is look at the waterfall holes on the chassis, it is mounted forward of the truck holes.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:42 PM
Tech Addict

Ok, yep just noticed the waterfall mounting holes. As for raising the transmission, are they using a 2mm spacer under the RF block as well as the RR block? Seems like raising the rear block only would change the anti squat.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:06 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by negatv1
Ok, yep just noticed the waterfall mounting holes. As for raising the transmission, are they using a 2mm spacer under the RF block as well as the RR block? Seems like raising the rear block only would change the anti squat.
I don't think they are raising the suspension mounts, this would change the rear roll centre dramatically.

With the new type gearbox I don't think they are raising it, I suspect they are using the diff cams to raise the diff up 2mm inside the gearbox and the setup sheet is showing how to achieve similar settings with the old gearbox / motor plate / rear tower. The aim is to adjust the diff height.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:01 AM
Tech Addict

Best pics I can find are from the reedy race, Lee Martins car:

http://site.petitrc.com/setup/yokomo...CRC2019012527/

Was running the 2 up diff insert, rear block looks shimmed up, can’t tell if the front was.
Old 02-18-2019, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 166 (100%+)

They are also running a chassis you cant get either, so their setups are unattainable,
Old 02-18-2019, 09:00 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by jpcopeland1
They are also running a chassis you cant get either, so their setups are unattainable,
...at least for a few more weeks. Yokomo's YZ-2 revisions have traditionally been released in April IIRC.
Old 02-18-2019, 09:22 AM
Tech Addict

Just trying to take a peek into the current setup to gleen any usefu bits that I can translate into my own.

So when it comes to raising the current standard DTM2 trans, the available spacer kit comes with a trans riser, rear block riser and for the waterfall. Seem to me that the front block would also need to be raised to maintain the hinge pin/pill height

Or just raising the trans to get the effect of what is accomplished by the new trans diff height inserts.

Last edited by negatv1; 02-18-2019 at 12:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.