Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree485Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lexusbest
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1
  • Long specification for dirt Main chassis Inheriting the chassis cut of dirt specification, it is longer with the same wheelbase as CAL3.
  • Aluminum front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTM2B F2 body.
  • JConcepts ASTRO High Clearance 7inch Wing.
Features for the lastest specification YZ-2CAL3.1
  • Long specification main chassis for carpets. Long wheelbase that enables even higher speeds.
  • Steel front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTMBL S2 Lightweight body.
  • Z2-CAL2W LMR Wing.
Common features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1 / YZ-2CAL3.1
  • The conventional position and the position of the suspension arm pin 1 mm higher can be selected on the front and back of the front suspension mount.
  • Bulkhead integrated side plate with increased rigidity.
  • The kingpin position has been changed with the new steering hub carrier, the axle position has been lengthened by 1 mm, and a steering stopper has also been added.
  • Battery holder that is easy to adjust according to the height of the battery.
  • Separate the rear mount base and upper arm holder to increase the flex around the rear and improve traction.
  • Z2-018-5 5-hole shock mounting specification Rear shock tower.
  • S4-S1S 3.0mm shaft specification front shock.
  • S4-S1M 3.0mm shaft specification rear short shock.
  • S4-008R5B L5 / LD Rear suspension arm (Φ3.5 pin).
  • Z2-01069 Rear universal shaft (69mm bone).

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

CAL3 manual
DTM3 manual

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2017, 09:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Regarding wheel base, my RC10Worlds handles great on my bumpy track, and even with the rear end shortened up, the wheelbase is still longer on the YZ2. Anyway, something I'm going to try.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:12 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Alright so finally the YZ2 DTM is how I want!

I made further changes too Lee's setup as it was not right for my driving style or conditions. I went with the following changes from lee's setup:

- Added 2mm tranny shim mod
- Orange rear springs
- 400 cst up front, 300 cst in rear PT Racing oils
- VRP X pistons, same sizes
- The shim that was labeled to go over the rear-rear hangar I put under like the DTM
- Orange Front springs
- 1mm shim on the rear hub carrier

Buggy was money. Normally we put down about 15 - 16 laps when the track is watered and traction is up. with it being dry I was able to put down a consistent 17 laps, with the big emphasis on consistency! Excited to keep running this vehicle.
nmdesertracer and sgtlt like this.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
Alright so finally the YZ2 DTM is how I want!

I made further changes too Lee's setup as it was not right for my driving style or conditions. I went with the following changes from lee's setup:

- Added 2mm tranny shim mod
Did you mean you raised the gearbox for a higher CG?
Old 09-03-2017, 11:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 551 (100%+)

Originally Posted by zzztech
Did you mean you raised the gearbox for a higher CG?
Raised for more dog bone plunge.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:23 PM
Tech Legend

article on it:

Team Losi Racing: Raising the Transmission in the TLR22 and 22T
Old 09-05-2017, 06:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Hello,
Which YZ2 version would be better for astro turf and carpet, the CA or DTM edition? Obviously the CA edition is especially for carpet, but the DTM is maybe more improved?
Where are the differences between the two kits?

kind regards
Old 09-05-2017, 07:20 AM
Tech Legend

So had another run with the vehicle this past monday.

Left the setup the same and looked at different tire types.

It was interesting to see how tires make so much of a difference on setup. Started first with some black compound hybrids but they not a good choice, the vehicle was loose in the rear and affected lap times a lot. I was hoping these would be a good option since holeshots work well when it packs up and they have a bit more tread so could be better when you get out of the line or if it marbles up some. No go.

Next heat when with blockades in M4 which are great here and groovys up front, this setup actually had some push to it! Managed to set a very fast lap time to get second position I believe for the a main.

I went with rips as I was hoping they would give a bit better front bite versus the push I was seeing. It was better, I had some bobbles that knocked me down and the lead driver was on fire but the push was still there. Ended up squeeking by with a 3rd place finish.

All in all I am thinking that I could go with the first set of front tires which would be M3 holeshots and get back the steering, or, as I would like to use an "edge" style tire, go with the softer springs up front from the Lee setup (the yellows that come stock with the DTM) or raise the rear hub ball stud position up 1mm.

Its still good though, I am quite happy with the vehicle and how planted it is now. I can literally pitch into a corner at high speed and just back off the throttle to rotate it how I want (my driving style, I don't use much brakes). when it was pushing I had to use brakes to get the steering I wanted, which made the next heat of doing a 4wd buggy harder as I was still in 2wd mindset lol.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:13 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 100 (100%+)
Exclamation

Hello,

Does anyone know if I can put this mount on my YZ2 chassis??

https://www.amainhobbies.com/yokomo-...300rud/p493841

It's the model before the dirt and carpet edition.

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2017, 08:59 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by exage94
Hello,
Which YZ2 version would be better for astro turf and carpet, the CA or DTM edition? Obviously the CA edition is especially for carpet, but the DTM is maybe more improved?
Where are the differences between the two kits?

kind regards
The CA has the gear diff, wider rear arms, more alum parts and a legitimately lightweight body. I've tried the newer DTM rear end parts on both carpet and astro and both of my YZ2's for those surfaces are basically back to being closer to what comes in the CA box than the DTM. If I needed another roller today, I'd buy the CA, add the machined shock pistons, some RP springs, under battery weights and go.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:51 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

Sorry to hijack this thread fellas but I need some closure.

I had a pristine YZ2 4 gear, upgraded to 3 gear and had a ton of option parts and spares for it - but I had to sell it. It would nose dive so badly over every small jump and bump on our Astro track. I had no drag brake on it, and it only used the aluminum front pivot and steering - plus it had the stainless steel C & D hangers and another 30g of weight under the motor and yet she'd still nose dive! I mean ass over tea kettle doing front wheel stands type nose diving. I had other guys drive it and noticed the same, any off throttle and she's going head over heels - how on earth was I supposed to change that? I ran Lee Martin set ups and tried harder springs up front, in back and oils too and more weight in the back and nothing worked - I really, really liked my YZ2 on the bench but at the track - she hated me. Now I see there are servo mount weight kits?! I hope the guy I sold it to had better luck than me.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:39 AM
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Kwikvdub
Hello,

Does anyone know if I can put this mount on my YZ2 chassis??

https://www.amainhobbies.com/yokomo-...300rud/p493841

It's the model before the dirt and carpet edition.

Thanks!
Which car do you have and how are you configured?
Old 09-05-2017, 10:41 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by HeavyD99

I had a pristine YZ2 4 gear, upgraded to 3 gear and had a ton of option parts and spares for it - but I had to sell it. It would nose dive so badly over every small jump and bump on our Astro track. I had no drag brake on it, and it only used the aluminum front pivot and steering - plus it had the stainless steel C & D hangers and another 30g of weight under the motor and yet she'd still nose dive! I mean ass over tea kettle doing front wheel stands type nose diving. I had other guys drive it and noticed the same, any off throttle and she's going head over heels - how on earth was I supposed to change that? I ran Lee Martin set ups and tried harder springs up front, in back and oils too and more weight in the back and nothing worked - I really, really liked my YZ2 on the bench but at the track - she hated me. Now I see there are servo mount weight kits?! I hope the guy I sold it to had better luck than me.
I'd wager you were donkey kicking of the jumps which can be from too low shock oil, too soft springs for the jumps, or another suspension setting was wrong. The car doesn't inehrintly have that as a handling aspect.
Cain, Bob Barry and Banshee8530 like this.
Old 09-05-2017, 11:24 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

I tried a lot of oils and spring combinations, however I probably gave up on it too quickly. Went back to my B5M with the same oils and springs and no issues then. No one else had the same problems with their YZ 2 buggies - still nice kits.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:44 PM
Team Tekin

I tried a lot of oils and spring combinations, however I probably gave up on it too quickly. Went back to my B5M with the same oils and springs and no issues then. No one else had the same problems with their YZ 2 buggies - still nice kits.
Point is that it was not likely the car or it's design. I'm sure if you went back to it, you'd be happy with the car.

The updated DTM kit is pretty much good out of the box.
Bob Barry, HeavyD99 and sgtlt like this.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:04 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

I can speak from experience in saying that your setup was probably too soft (as the others said). I found that the kit pistons, while correct in their number of holes and size, were not very true. I found that in order to make my car feel right on kit pistons I had to almost double the weight of the shock oils. I believe this is because the pistons are an older mold and just worn down, so you get blow by in the shock. Kyosho 8th scale shocks used to be famous for this. They would wear on the inside of the body and you would just all of a sudden feel like your car was way too soft. In the YZ2's case, the issue is solved with the machined pistons.

Anyway, my reason for pointing this out isn't to bash you and I am glad you feel you got closure. Instead I hope that in the future you work on your car and don't give up on it. No matter what platform. Because no car is perfect and eventually you'll need to be able to react to what's going on.
HeavyD99 likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.