R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-30-2017, 12:17 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bob Barry
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

Print Wikipost

Like Tree122Likes

Old 09-25-2015, 04:46 PM   #1426

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Does anyone actually run this car right out of the box, or are they all covered in added weight, Bmax, B5, losi and VBC parts?
In it's native habitat, aka carpet/turf, you basically add machined shock pistons, enough weight for it to hit minimum (not for grip) and go from there. It's when trying to be beat the square peg of a carpet car into the round hole of dirt racing that things start to get "interesting."
MarkA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #1427
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman007 View Post
What are you going to try?
What type of track?
What type of tires?
Outback is a high grip indoor clay track. I did about four hours of back to back runs with my B5M lite and my new YZ-2. I ran the same motor and tire combination on both cars. Dirt Web front and Chainlink rear. The new parts on my yz were machined 1.6 pistons on all four shocks. Both cars ran great and my fast laps were almost identical. I liked the extra steering from the yz, and my average lap times were consistently a few tenths faster. I love the way this car jumps. I am sure that I still have time to gain with some more setup on the yz2. Overall I am very happy with this purchase.
afm223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #1428
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Does anyone actually run this car right out of the box, or are they all covered in added weight, Bmax, B5, losi and VBC parts?
I am running the machined pistons, titanium turnbuckles, and a factory battery brace. Otherwise the car is stock. It seems to be working very well on a high bite clay track with a 17.5 setup.
Old 09-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #1429
Tech Regular

The yz2 works great out of the box! Set up is what you need and that is where others have used weight to help out with traction.
jake alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 06:49 AM   #1430
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by afm223 View Post
I am running the machined pistons, titanium turnbuckles, and a factory battery brace. Otherwise the car is stock. It seems to be working very well on a high bite clay track with a 17.5 setup.
Thank you for your insight
Old 09-26-2015, 11:41 AM   #1431
Team Tekin

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Randy_Pike

If your track(s) have traction, then the Yz2 is fine. I run mine with Factory RC battery brace and towers, but they're not "needed" to make the car work.

I highly recommend a ball diff, and upgraded pistons like Avids, etc.

Other than that, run the car.

Tekin,Protek,A-Main Hobbies,JConcepts,Avid RC,Yokomo,MIP,SikLidz,FactoryRC, www.randypikerc.com
Randy_Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 11:14 PM   #1432
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorman007 View Post
Thank you for your insight
I'm happy to share. I was on the fence about buying this car for some time until I was corner marshaling a couple of weeks ago. There was a racer on the track with one of these and I was so impressed with how glued to the track his car was. Two days later I pulled the plug and bought my own. So far I am very impressed. With a 17.5 setup the car is not dramatically different then my b5m. It feels slightly more agressive then the b5m, but is definitely able to carry more corner speed. As I said previously, I love the way this car jumps and lands. Next Friday I will finally get to race it at my home track which is a medium bite clay. I am looking forward to seeing how it performs on that surface.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:15 PM   #1433
Tech Adept

Quote:
Oh yeah, I am running a ball diff.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #1434
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)

Car at LRH was superdialed, until they didnt water for like an hour, then it was only above average dialed. Thinking of adding weight to the rear, like how it drives, dont know if I want to throw the Ymax on there cause other cars were struggling as well.
Old 09-26-2015, 11:47 PM   #1435
Tech Champion

Quote:
Oh yeah, I am running a ball diff.
Worked on Mikes car last night. Dujuan drove it this time and told him what he needed to do to get it even better at LSR. His car looked great as usual. Dujuan was up in Chico today. Hopefully you picked his brain while you were up there.
Old 09-27-2015, 03:30 AM   #1436
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 319 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpcopeland1 View Post
Car at LRH was superdialed, until they didnt water for like an hour, then it was only above average dialed. Thinking of adding weight to the rear, like how it drives, dont know if I want to throw the Ymax on there cause other cars were struggling as well.
Pretty much what happens to me, when the mains come around track is dry. Buggy gets really loose.
Mercenary Racer
jmoneym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:23 AM   #1437
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
Worked on Mikes car last night. Dujuan drove it this time and told him what he needed to do to get it even better at LSR. His car looked great as usual. Dujuan was up in Chico today. Hopefully you picked his brain while you were up there.
I was in Chico Friday morning. I was the only one on the track for the entire time i was there. I will have to hit Mike or Dujuan up next Friday at LSR. Currently, my car is setup to your setup on Petitrc.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:30 AM   #1438
Tech Elite
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 139 (100%+)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoneym View Post
Pretty much what happens to me, when the mains come around track is dry. Buggy gets really loose.
Possibly need the brass from SMC. Its not that it gets super loose, you just have to change your throttle input, or tell the track owner to groom his track lol... Car is money.
Old 09-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #1439
Tech Champion

Quote:
I was in Chico Friday morning. I was the only one on the track for the entire time i was there. I will have to hit Mike or Dujuan up next Friday at LSR. Currently, my car is setup to your setup on Petitrc.
That setup is money out there.
Old 09-27-2015, 08:36 PM   #1440
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by STLNLST View Post
That setup is money out there.
I went back up to Outback this morning. The car was dialed and about 1/2 second faster than my b5M early in the day when the traction was good. It was a bit of a handful late in the day when the traction went away.