R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-30-2017, 12:17 PM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech Forums Thread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: Bob Barry
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

Print Wikipost

Like Tree122Likes

Old 02-26-2015, 05:30 AM   #616
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriu View Post
I just picked up the yz-2 and was wondering on where to mount the rear shocks. Should i mount them in front or behind shock tower and what are the benefits to running them in that position.
Rear Mounting = More rear weight bias & tends to be slightly more forgiving on landing. Other than that, the dampening and handling really won't change dramatically.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:18 AM   #617
Tech Regular

Thanks for the reasonable explanation on the gear and ball diffs. The most that made sense.
jake alton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 11:04 AM   #618
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to WillS Send a message via Yahoo to WillS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sriu View Post
I just picked up the yz-2 and was wondering on where to mount the rear shocks. Should i mount them in front or behind shock tower and what are the benefits to running them in that position.
Mounting on the rear provides more rear traction (softer overall), mounting them on the front creates more rotation (stiffer overall). This is my experience. I currently am very happy with the shocks on the front for high bite clay.
Soar Seiki, RCConcept, Protek, Dialed-RC Hobbies, Amain.com
WillS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:20 AM   #619
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinfish View Post
Is anyone running on rough, deep cracked indoor clay? My local track seems to not know how to maintain the clay and it has developed deep cracks and has "plates" that will rock when stepped on. I know the B5m guys cut the waterfall etc. to get a little more traction. What should I do to gain a little more flex?

With all your infinite internet wisdom why would you not tell them how to do a better job?
SC5M
big chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 12:04 PM   #620
Tech Fanatic
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Location: El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora La Reina de Los Ángeles del Río de Porciúncula, California, Unites States of America
Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Never seen clay do that. Doesn't seem right.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #621
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagcisco View Post
Never seen clay do that. Doesn't seem right.
poorly maintained track. they are not keeping moisture in it.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #622
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The problem is the track owner will only listen to his "clay supplier". I can almost guarantee that the "supplier" has never maintained clay indoors. We have a few other tracks in the state that are successful and tried to help the guy. He says his supplier told him what to do and is following his guidance. The racers will try to fix what we can, but without the proper maintenance it doesn't last the race day. I truly believe that he wants as maintenance free of a track as possible and wish he would just go to astroturf or carpet.
pumpkinfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:54 PM   #623
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumpkinfish View Post
The problem is the track owner will only listen to his "clay supplier". I can almost guarantee that the "supplier" has never maintained clay indoors. We have a few other tracks in the state that are successful and tried to help the guy. He says his supplier told him what to do and is following his guidance. The racers will try to fix what we can, but without the proper maintenance it doesn't last the race day. I truly believe that he wants as maintenance free of a track as possible and wish he would just go to astroturf or carpet.
Our clay track will also do that, but its usually toward the end of the track layout.

First and foremost the track needs to be built well and packed. Use a TON of water and allow plenty of time for the track to settle and Pack.

When its NEW, it should receive a heavy dose of water at night, even so far as leaving puddles. It should be regularly watered and HOPEFULLY it stays together.

My guess is that they may not use a packer on the surface and use enough water to allow the clay to stick and thus the track dries out quicker and cause cracks and can result in a more abrasive surface.

MOmo
"Im not a racer, but I play one on the Internet"
MOmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #624
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOmo View Post
Our clay track will also do that, but its usually toward the end of the track layout.

First and foremost the track needs to be built well and packed. Use a TON of water and allow plenty of time for the track to settle and Pack.

When its NEW, it should receive a heavy dose of water at night, even so far as leaving puddles. It should be regularly watered and HOPEFULLY it stays together.

My guess is that they may not use a packer on the surface and use enough water to allow the clay to stick and thus the track dries out quicker and cause cracks and can result in a more abrasive surface.

MOmo
You hit the nail on the head. The owner told us his supplier said we were tamping the track too much and it wouldn't hold water. Mind you we were using a hand tamper and not even a powered one! He also messed up from day one when he cheaped out and didn't put a vapor barrier over the floor before the clay. The concrete is just pulling the water out of the clay from the bottom.

I go and support him because it is the closest track to my house and I think he has a top notch facility. He just needs to learn to trust the guys who have been around for years racing but he can't. So I go, have a good time with my friends and live it. Hence the reason I originally asked how to get a little more flex in the rear of the YZ-2 to handle these tetonic plates I'm going to try Associated Green rear springs this weekend to see if that helps.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:05 PM   #625
Tech Addict

Anyone find a pre-cut chassis protector yet?
Old 03-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #626
Tech Prophet

Wow, I know a guy who knows a guy at Amain. I am told this kit is the second best selling kit right now behind the B5M. I didnt realize this car was that popular.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:26 PM   #627
Suspended

Trader Rating: 61 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildcat1971 View Post
Wow, I know a guy who knows a guy at Amain. I am told this kit is the second best selling kit right now behind the B5M. I didnt realize this car was that popular.
Well, you sell 100% of what you bring in, when all you bring in is 20 cars each load, right?

Just kidding, I have no idea how many they've brought in. But of course it's selling well, it's the newest kit out right now.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:52 PM   #628
Tech Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socket View Post
Well, you sell 100% of what you bring in, when all you bring in is 20 cars each load, right?

Just kidding, I have no idea how many they've brought in. But of course it's selling well, it's the newest kit out right now.
yeah, they sell oversea also. I know a few guys running them in the US and liking them on clay. Amain thinks they are selling so well that they are shopping for unique upgrades to market for the yz2.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #629
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)

Whats to upgrade? This thing is pretty stacked out of the box. I weighed my car again the other day and with a 17.5 team powers motor its sitting at 1518g. So it doesnt even really need lightweight stuff
Old 03-01-2015, 09:32 PM   #630
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Racing4Evo

I also hear that they will be raising the price on the next batch of kits.
Racing4Evo is offline   Reply With Quote