Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree485Likes

Yokomo YZ-2

Hide Wikipost
Old 11-11-2021, 01:35 AM   -   Wikipost
R/C Tech ForumsThread Wiki: Yokomo YZ-2
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been a member for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: lexusbest
Welcome to the YZ2 Wiki!

Features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1
  • Long specification for dirt Main chassis Inheriting the chassis cut of dirt specification, it is longer with the same wheelbase as CAL3.
  • Aluminum front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTM2B F2 body.
  • JConcepts ASTRO High Clearance 7inch Wing.
Features for the lastest specification YZ-2CAL3.1
  • Long specification main chassis for carpets. Long wheelbase that enables even higher speeds.
  • Steel front suspension mount.
  • Z2-DTMBL S2 Lightweight body.
  • Z2-CAL2W LMR Wing.
Common features for the lastest specification YZ-2DTM3.1 / YZ-2CAL3.1
  • The conventional position and the position of the suspension arm pin 1 mm higher can be selected on the front and back of the front suspension mount.
  • Bulkhead integrated side plate with increased rigidity.
  • The kingpin position has been changed with the new steering hub carrier, the axle position has been lengthened by 1 mm, and a steering stopper has also been added.
  • Battery holder that is easy to adjust according to the height of the battery.
  • Separate the rear mount base and upper arm holder to increase the flex around the rear and improve traction.
  • Z2-018-5 5-hole shock mounting specification Rear shock tower.
  • S4-S1S 3.0mm shaft specification front shock.
  • S4-S1M 3.0mm shaft specification rear short shock.
  • S4-008R5B L5 / LD Rear suspension arm (Φ3.5 pin).
  • Z2-01069 Rear universal shaft (69mm bone).

Setup Sheets can be found here

DT CA DTM parts comparison

YZ2T Tranny Conversion List

YOKZ2-300RFT
YOKZ2-302CT
YOKZ2-302T
YOKZ2-304T
YOKZ2-503I
YOKZ2-0023

CAL3 manual
DTM3 manual

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 10:02 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

Long versus short bellcrank? Long smoother? Less steeeing? I can’t seem to find much info on them, thanks.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I am wondering if the new chassis they had was if you wanted the tranny case from the truck, hence the holes may have been different.
Old 03-21-2019, 11:33 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by GettinLapped
Long versus short bellcrank? Long smoother? Less steeeing? I can’t seem to find much info on them, thanks.
The longer bellcranks are more aggressive. I tried both lengths on the truck and went back to the short plastic bellcranks, even on high-grip astroturf. That's the first time ever that I preferred a plastic steering over aluminium parts.
You won't need new holes in the chassis for the LC gearbox, it is a full laydown transmission. I wonder when the new kit is due; a fellow racer was told it was pstponed until after the worlds by a usually very reliable source, but TBH I doubt it.
Old 03-21-2019, 01:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Computerjoe
Just got my kit in the mail and it does have the truck steering included, can't wait..
I was advised to buy the truck steering components and of course battery hold stuff...So I did...Are you sure the new "stock" kit comes with the truck steering parts?
Old 03-21-2019, 02:02 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by RodRC
So all stock internals is the same? Just need motor plate and top shaft? No drilling into chassis?
What tranny comes in the new DTM 2.0 "stock" kit...Layback or laydown?
Old 03-22-2019, 01:42 PM
Tech Fanatic

Hi! Is there any difference between old yz2 cal2 kits and newer kits? Thank you in advance
Old 03-25-2019, 09:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jbirdsrc
What tranny comes in the new DTM 2.0 "stock" kit...Layback or laydown?
It comes the same dtm 2.0 trans.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:10 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I just built up a YZ2 DTM2 to run in a stock class, but it seems like stock racing info for this platform isn't too bountiful. I'm coming from a TLR 22 5.0 SR with the works (Titanium, ceramic bearings, pucks etc.). My 5.0 feels very "agressive", even with a slipper. The YZ-2 feels very much the opposite: smooth and calm. Can anyone chime in with their thoughts on making the chassis a bit more responsive for stock racing? Does the YZ2 respond well to weight reduction? I've definitely noticed this platform generates far more forward bite than my TLR does. I'm thinking of transferring my bearings over and getting the pucks system.

Also, how is everyone running 69T & 72T spur gears? Looks like there is no option for the three pad slipper below 80T, unless you buy the $40 adapter kit used in the worlds edition. I purchased the older vented 2 pad plate and some spurs, but was wondering what others have done.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:18 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by mtbwrench
I just built up a YZ2 DTM2 to run in a stock class, but it seems like stock racing info for this platform isn't too bountiful. I'm coming from a TLR 22 5.0 SR with the works (Titanium, ceramic bearings, pucks etc.). My 5.0 feels very "agressive", even with a slipper. The YZ-2 feels very much the opposite: smooth and calm. Can anyone chime in with their thoughts on making the chassis a bit more responsive for stock racing? Does the YZ2 respond well to weight reduction? I've definitely noticed this platform generates far more forward bite than my TLR does. I'm thinking of transferring my bearings over and getting the pucks system.

Also, how is everyone running 69T & 72T spur gears? Looks like there is no option for the three pad slipper below 80T, unless you buy the $40 adapter kit used in the worlds edition. I purchased the older vented 2 pad plate and some spurs, but was wondering what others have done.
Although I cannot comment on stock racing set-up, I can provide some part numbers: Z2-SG69SD and Z2-SG72SD. If you cannot get your hands on them, the B6.1 spur gears 91808/91809 are very similar if not identical.
mtbwrench likes this.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:38 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

I'd like to ask a steering question here. I noticed on some yz-2 pics I have found across the net...not sure if original yz2 or ca or what, but I've noticed that some are threading the ball end into what I guess is the left bellcrank...right where the bearings are located instead of its normal position. This is for the link coming off the servo.

What is the reason for this? IE, what does it help or change, etc? Also is there anything one would need to do after doing this, like removing some washers somewhere or something else?

To me it appears to help with the clearance between that ball end cup and the front bulkhead, but maybe it also does something else? I've cut away some on the bulkhead so it can't hang up there anyways, but thought I'd ask.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:45 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by {tpc}
I'd like to ask a steering question here. I noticed on some yz-2 pics I have found across the net...not sure if original yz2 or ca or what, but I've noticed that some are threading the ball end into what I guess is the left bellcrank...right where the bearings are located instead of its normal position. This is for the link coming off the servo.

What is the reason for this? IE, what does it help or change, etc? Also is there anything one would need to do after doing this, like removing some washers somewhere or something else?

To me it appears to help with the clearance between that ball end cup and the front bulkhead, but maybe it also does something else? I've cut away some on the bulkhead so it can't hang up there anyways, but thought I'd ask.
It helps to smoothen the steering similarly to the newer steering set-ups. You'll need a longer ball stud if you want to replace the screw and not drill a hole into the aluminium bracket. Detailed information is available on petitrc.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Thank you. I may have to try this tonight!
Old 03-26-2019, 10:01 AM
mes
Tech Elite

Thank you. I may have to try this tonight!
It's definitely worth it!
Old 03-27-2019, 09:51 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

This was done during the CA era, or with the DTM using the CA rack (maybe some did it with other racks as well?). There were two methods. One drilled and tapped the rack for a ball stud. Another replaced the screw through the bearing with a long ballstud. The idea was to calm the steering down. I drove cars with and without and didn't have a preference.

Yokomo YZ2 - Steering Modification Guide

Old 03-27-2019, 09:53 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mes
The LC gearbox is here: https://teamyokomo.com/topics/9277/
Appeared and sold out in one day @ mibo and amain.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.